non-profit video

A place to share sample video projects
jeffphilips
Casablanca Unit: Renomee Plus, SE 7

non-profit video

Post by jeffphilips »

Here is Non-profit video I shot and edited.
There were 2 days of shooting and 13 hours of editing. It was a fun project.
http://www.infocusstudios.com/gotr2.html
Jeff Philips
In Focus Studios
Raleigh/Durham
North Carolina
Cassie user since 1999
CKNewman
Casablanca Unit: Windows computer with Bogart SE 13.3, Arabesk 7, Audio Effects Pack v1.2b, Motion 3D XL-1 Pack 1, Sentry HD-Backup, Disk Juggler, Power Key, Aspector, Chromit, Effects Pack 8, Effect Pack 9, PiP Studio 3, Time-X, Ultimate Spice Box HD, Slivers, PIP Studio 4 ; Older windows computer with Bogart 8.4, Arabesk 7; Kron Plus with SE 8.3, most Generation 2 software except for CB Paint, Columbus, titling add-ons, and graphics symbols. Various TVs and a Kenner Give-A-Show Projector

Re: non-profit video

Post by CKNewman »

Wow! Great production! I'd love to hear how you shot and edited - especially the audio. And how did you get that rough-edged frame to move across the video towards the beginning? Inquiring mind wants to know. :D
Craig Newman
TimKennelly
Casablanca Unit: No Casablanca unit currently.

Post by TimKennelly »

Very nice job Jeff and thirteen hours editing. . .you are very disciplined to get this completed in that amount of time.

Heck, I have trouble remembering to keep track of the timer when I try to time my edits. :D
My mom always told me that happiness was the key to life.
At school they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up.
I said “happy" and they told me I didn’t understand the question.
I told them they didn’t understand life.

Tim Kennelly
LouBruno
Casablanca Unit: STUDIO ULTRA ,SAPHIR, MS TRAVEL ..with ALL SOFTWARE, Cassie Travel Laptop PRO- Bogart Windows, MSI APACHE laptop with BOGART and all Current BOGART & Arabesk. Saphir 2.
GLIDECAM HD-2000, I-Pad latest, Sony HX-99..4K still camera

SONY FDR-53 4K,
, SONY FDR AX-700 HDR 4K video camera, GoPro HD2&3, SONY HDR-CX150 small HD pocket camera, SONY AX-53. Panasonic HC-20

Two Samsung BD D5700 Blu-ray players. OPPO 4K player.
JVC DT-V20L1 HDV monitor, All Music2Hues and Digital Hotcakes, Nikon D-80 still camera, NIKON D7100 HDSLR 18-300mm lens, D500 Nikon, 10 professional bicycles, two camels and a donkey :-) ........ Gocycle@gmail.com

Post by LouBruno »

Superb job and excellent use of inserts. Keep up the good work!
jeffphilips

Post by jeffphilips »

Regarding the audio: The first day of shooting I interviewed coaches and 3 participants using the Sennheiser wireless lav. During the lessons I had a wireless on each coach on seperate channels. This way, depending on which coach I was filming, in post I could eliminate the audio track I didn't want to use.

The day of the race, my assistant and I went around gathering soundbites from as many girls as we could. I used the wireless sennheiser system with a shotgun mic, as you can see in some of the shots.

As far as the rough edged frame, I wish I could tell you that it took my special skills :)
But I can't, it was one of Digital Hotcakes fantastic products.

Last year I purchased the Steadicam Merlin. I use it more and more in my productions. There is a short 4 sec clip in this video that demonstates it quite nicely. Take another look, there is an African-American girl running in front of her blonde haired coach. I was running just as fast as they were and there is no bounce in the shot. I love the Merlin!

Thanks for commenting! It is always great to get feedback from other editors.
Jeff Philips
In Focus Studios
Raleigh/Durham
North Carolina
Cassie user since 1999
IanPearson
Casablanca Unit: Studio Pro OS B4W V9
S6000 OS Bogart SE V9
Solitaire OS V9.1

Programs:- Most of the standard operating programs.

Post by IanPearson »

Jeff
I think all the others have expressed my thoughts on the technicalities of your short film, it is great.

As a purely amateur editor, the technicality of editing is not such a issue for me, but topics and filming techniques is where I lack experience and inspiration. Your short film is just the type of piece that helps generate the ideas side of my hobby.

Thanks for sharing this.

Ian
Ian Pearson S6000 Bogart SE7 - Solitaire OS V9.1 - Avio DV Pro OS V9.1
Programs:- Most programs, with the notable exception of CB Paint and Quadcam
Kingston upon Hull. England
KimSWilliamson
Casablanca Unit: Renommee

Post by KimSWilliamson »

Well done Jeff,

This is a great promo video, I am sure the client is happy!

Thanks for the "how it was done" explanations. What mixer did you use when using the wireless + shotgun at the same time?

Kim S. Williamson
jeffphilips

Post by jeffphilips »

Kim,
I did not use a mixer. I just had one mic going into the left channel and the other in the right channel. I then mixed them in post with the renommee audio software.

Jeff
Jeff Philips
In Focus Studios
Raleigh/Durham
North Carolina
Cassie user since 1999