3rd Alarm-The Cobb Fire Show

A place to share sample video projects
ChrisStone
Casablanca Unit: Renommee Plus w/SE8 and all software

3rd Alarm-The Cobb Fire Show

Post by ChrisStone »

Ok, here it is, after 2 months of shooting and post production we finally have the world premiere of 3rd Alarm ready for viewing on youtube. This show will actually start airing on TV23, the government cable channel I work at tomorrow. But the youtube version which is by necessity cut into parts and is edited slightly differently is ready for viewing.

This is a zero budget show that I produced with the help of some really good firefighters who volunteered their time to help as researchers/writers/and on camera talent. The show is all about the fire service in general and Cobb Fire and Emergency Services in particular. Its a little rough around the edges in places, but I think overall it came out pretty well. We plan on doing 6 episodes this year, and I'm sure each one will get better as my crew learns TV production.

As my casablanca family, you guys are the first to get the link to the show. I hope you enjoy, and I welcome your comments. Just remember how fragile my ego is. :mrgreen:

http://www.youtube.com/cobbfirevideos
Chris Stone
Etched In Stone Video Productions
Renommee + SE9, All software, Panasonic AF100 Panasonic AG-160,
Adobe Production Suite CS6
Member # 5
jeffphilips
Casablanca Unit: Renomee Plus, SE 7

Re: 3rd Alarm-The Cobb Fire Show

Post by jeffphilips »

Well, I see an awful lot of work went into the production. Hats of to you for putting in the time! I know what it takes to put together a production like this.

Now for my comments. Overall, it was professionally done, good framing of the on-camera talent and b-roll was well shot. I did think the fire chief's opening comments in the beginning was to long and found that I lost interest in what he was saying after about a minute.
I have always been interested in fire and the job of firefighters, but I thought the show was a bit slow and didn't have the excitement and pizzazz that was hoping to see in regards to this topic.

I realize that it is the first one and the coming episodes will get better.

One question, was the entire episode edited only with a MS?

Keep up the good work!
Jeff Philips
In Focus Studios
Raleigh/Durham
North Carolina
Cassie user since 1999
ChrisStone

Post by ChrisStone »

Thanks for your comments Jeff. I agree with your comments on the Chiefs segment. The intent was to introduce the viewer to our department and put out our "credentials" if you will. It plays better with our local audience who have a vested interest in our department. And here's the big thing.....he's the boss!

When I had my pre production meeting with all my volunteers of assistant producers and on camera talent (who all are firefighters and have no experience doing this at all except for Norm the host) I knew that they wouldnt really get the big picture until we got the first one done. Now they're all saying.."oh now I get it...we're making a real tv show". So your right, future episodes will be better. (I hope ;) )

And yes, every frame of this was cut on a Renomee Plus with SE 8. Of course I use CB paint for just about everything.

Thanks again Jeff.
Chris Stone
Member # 5
SYLRENAUD
Casablanca Unit: 2/S4100 1/S6000 Bogart SE 5, Arabesk 5
most all of the software on all 3 units.
We shoot everything with HDSLR's.
Four Canon 5d mark II and one 7d.

Post by SYLRENAUD »

Very well done Chris, i think its an excellent presentation for the subject you are covering
and if its your first time doing a project like this then it will get better with every episode since we always learn from the process.
Im finishing a project for the city of Ottawa up here and theres a LOT of work that go into
these productions.
Good work, Congrats !

Syl
ChrisStone

Post by ChrisStone »

Thanks for the encouragement Syl !
Chris Stone
Member # 5
LouBruno
Casablanca Unit: STUDIO ULTRA ,SAPHIR, MS TRAVEL ..with ALL SOFTWARE, Cassie Travel Laptop PRO- Bogart Windows, MSI APACHE laptop with BOGART and all Current BOGART & Arabesk. Saphir 2.
GLIDECAM HD-2000, I-Pad latest, Sony HX-99..4K still camera

SONY FDR-53 4K,
, SONY FDR AX-700 HDR 4K video camera, GoPro HD2&3, SONY HDR-CX150 small HD pocket camera, SONY AX-53. Panasonic HC-20

Two Samsung BD D5700 Blu-ray players. OPPO 4K player.
JVC DT-V20L1 HDV monitor, All Music2Hues and Digital Hotcakes, Nikon D-80 still camera, NIKON D7100 HDSLR 18-300mm lens, D500 Nikon, 10 professional bicycles, two camels and a donkey :-) ........ Gocycle@gmail.com

Post by LouBruno »

Very professional work Chris........yeah the Chief is a little long-winded but the video itself is superb. Better than our AVR section ever produced.

"Often imitated but never duplicated" Ya got that right!!!
videojim
Casablanca Unit: Casablanca S6000, with 4.1G Bogart.

Post by videojim »

Like they said, the "talking head" part upfront dragged it a bit. Show the stuff he's talking about, replacing his head with cutaways of each part as he mentions it. You're doing a good job of keeping it moving, and your flame transitions are right on! I know the area, and have an aunt living in the village north of Austell, so I have a vested interest. This is a good start.
You've got a handle on motion- keep the action going, make the video do what only it can do. Static shots bore, so keep them at a minimum. Sometimes slow action is significant, and needs showing, but movement of SOMEthing in the frame is key.
Skype ID-talkingrock756