A Highlight Video

A place to share sample video projects
JohnKleban
Casablanca Unit: Prestige with SE 7

A Highlight Video

Post by JohnKleban »

Hi All,

Thought I'd share this wedding highlight video...

Quick Facts:
Shot solo
Music video style, no natural audio
Time-shifting piece
Song provided by the couple
Used Motion Perfect and crossfades
About 90 minutes to assemble
Shot last June; couple had a baby and took several months on getting back to me and their photographer
Video edit was completed in April once I received their CD and other needed info

http://www.choosespecialevent.com/video ... n&chad.wmv
John Kleban
Special Event Video

SE 7 / Sony FX1 Cameras
Beachy
Casablanca Unit: Avio/DVD. Ver.9.1 candy factory, DVD Arabesk V4.1. Effects packs 5 6 7 8 particle magic,Pip-studio V1.0 and a Very, very old reliable, Avio 3.6c.
Cameras.CannonXL1, Sony DCR-TVR950E, Sony DSR-PD150P

Re: A Highlight Video

Post by Beachy »

Very very good John, cant fault it at all, everything flows, well done
PS I wish the Groom had worn a tie!!!!! :D Beachy
Beachy
AKA Lord Sherrington
TimKennelly
Casablanca Unit: No Casablanca unit currently.

Post by TimKennelly »

Lots of good shots John although something is wrong with your shooting ratio, seems too square. ;)

Seriously, I have shared my thoughts about time shifting John and you are not being added to the two or three I mentioned, but good job never the less.

June 2007?!?! Now there is a backlog. :D

Do you normally allow the couple to control the edit chronology by choosing songs at their leisure in post or was this just one of those things/couples that get away on us every now and then.

I have actually never had a groom look that "sloppy" with the open casual shirt, floppy collar until at least after the drinks were flowing and that includes some pretty laid back outdoor weddings over the years, not that you have any control over such.

Is that a trend in Wisconsin?
My mom always told me that happiness was the key to life.
At school they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up.
I said “happy" and they told me I didn’t understand the question.
I told them they didn’t understand life.

Tim Kennelly
ChrisStone
Casablanca Unit: Renommee Plus w/SE8 and all software

Post by ChrisStone »

Very nice John. Love the final shot with the fireworks.
Chris Stone
Etched In Stone Video Productions
Renommee + SE9, All software, Panasonic AF100 Panasonic AG-160,
Adobe Production Suite CS6
Member # 5
JohnKleban

Post by JohnKleban »

Thanks Beachy!

I think that is the first wedding I've ever had where the groom didn't have a tux or some kind of tie on; but, for this groom and his personality, his attire fit him well.

Hey Tim,

The only thing square that you mention, is actually the viewer who made that comment, no? :D I'm shooting 4:3 next year too; no client HD requests to speak of yet. As far as the clip, the groom on this one is the brother of the groom in which I did a time shift piece (that clip a few years ago was set to Fascination and is still on my website). He wanted the same thing, told me to set the clips to the lyrics and feel of the song over keeping things in a chronological order. I will admit, when he gave me that song choice, I thought, "oh, man, how am I going to work with this?" For the most part and for the time I will allocate to these highlight clips; I was generally happy with it. I got caught up on my backlog so their wedding sat idle on a hard-drive until they got back to me; ok with me at the time. Right now, I'm working on weddings from this past May; feels good to be only a month behind. As far as the groom being "sloppy" - he's just a relaxed and cool groom; very friendly and his family is great. He reminds me of Woody Harrelson to a degree.

Thanks Chris!

Some other festival was going on at our Summer Fest grounds in the background; thus, they got a free fireworks show.
John Kleban
Special Event Video

SE 7 / Sony FX1 Cameras
CKNewman
Casablanca Unit: Windows computer with Bogart SE 13.3, Arabesk 7, Audio Effects Pack v1.2b, Motion 3D XL-1 Pack 1, Sentry HD-Backup, Disk Juggler, Power Key, Aspector, Chromit, Effects Pack 8, Effect Pack 9, PiP Studio 3, Time-X, Ultimate Spice Box HD, Slivers, PIP Studio 4 ; Older windows computer with Bogart 8.4, Arabesk 7; Kron Plus with SE 8.3, most Generation 2 software except for CB Paint, Columbus, titling add-ons, and graphics symbols. Various TVs and a Kenner Give-A-Show Projector

Post by CKNewman »

Hi John,

Really nice work! I was wondering what lighting you lit the couple with while the fireworks were going off. Also, how did you communicate with the guys launching the fireworks to get that burst at that time? 8-) I still shoot in 4:3 - no requests for HD yet.
Craig Newman
TomHajewski
Casablanca Unit: Prestige with most of the software. SE 7.

Post by TomHajewski »

Great job, John! Thanks for sharing it with us. This couple chose an unusual piece of music for their wedding video. You did an excellent job of matching scenes with the lyrics - time on my hands, laughing like children, color, the "blues," etc. Did you use some blue filtering in post to achieve that blue effect?

I love your logo intro - the music and the way the letters of the name come together. It unmistakably identifies your videos without being glitzy or overdone. It was well worth whatever you paid for it! :D
Tom Hajewski
JohnKleban

Post by JohnKleban »

Thanks for the kind words Tom. I too was taken back initially by their song selection. The blue filtering effect is a secret; I may share that with you next March. 8-)
John Kleban
Special Event Video

SE 7 / Sony FX1 Cameras
jeffphilips
Casablanca Unit: Renomee Plus, SE 7

Post by jeffphilips »

Good camera work! Should be proud of this piece.

Question for you: what setting are you using in windows media encoder to get the good quality? This is something I have not yet discovered.

Jeff
Jeff Philips
In Focus Studios
Raleigh/Durham
North Carolina
Cassie user since 1999
JohnKleban

Post by JohnKleban »

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for your remarks. Like Tim, I also use the 1128 setting and check-mark the two pass encoding box. Everything else I just leave "as is."
John Kleban
Special Event Video

SE 7 / Sony FX1 Cameras