June Trailer

A place to share sample video projects
TimKennelly
Casablanca Unit: No Casablanca unit currently.

June Trailer

Post by TimKennelly »

Like John, I have not shared anything in a while, so in the spirit of sharing. . .

Mine is also a June offering, however it is from this June, last weekend actually.

I am not totally happy with it, but I promise the brides that I will have their Trailers up and available by the Monday after the wedding so it isn't designed to be a masterpiece, just instant gratification.

Anyway, you can check it here: http://xrl.us/bszfh
My mom always told me that happiness was the key to life.
At school they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up.
I said “happy" and they told me I didn’t understand the question.
I told them they didn’t understand life.

Tim Kennelly
ChrisStone
Casablanca Unit: Renommee Plus w/SE8 and all software

Re: June Trailer

Post by ChrisStone »

Well, I for one, was instantly gratified :mrgreen:
Very nice Tim, your being to hard on yourself.
Chris Stone
Etched In Stone Video Productions
Renommee + SE9, All software, Panasonic AF100 Panasonic AG-160,
Adobe Production Suite CS6
Member # 5
JohnKleban
Casablanca Unit: Prestige with SE 7

Post by JohnKleban »

Hi Tim,

Overall, pretty nice clip, solid edit and I like a number of your shots.

Say, one observation I do have, is that some of the shots appear to be a bit flat (even some of the outdoor stuff, which is a surprise to me); lacking in saturation and detail. Your first two outside church shots look vibrant, but then it seems to go back and forth between some shots that look vibrant, then to some shots that seem a tad washed-out. Have you noticed that yourself, or no? Also, is that a Reception Light I see in the background? :lol: I love mine.

Thanks for sharing Mr. T.
John Kleban
Special Event Video

SE 7 / Sony FX1 Cameras
CKNewman
Casablanca Unit: Windows computer with Bogart SE 13.3, Arabesk 7, Audio Effects Pack v1.2b, Motion 3D XL-1 Pack 1, Sentry HD-Backup, Disk Juggler, Power Key, Aspector, Chromit, Effects Pack 8, Effect Pack 9, PiP Studio 3, Time-X, Ultimate Spice Box HD, Slivers, PIP Studio 4 ; Older windows computer with Bogart 8.4, Arabesk 7; Kron Plus with SE 8.3, most Generation 2 software except for CB Paint, Columbus, titling add-ons, and graphics symbols. Various TVs and a Kenner Give-A-Show Projector

Post by CKNewman »

Very nice work Tim!
Craig Newman
TimKennelly

Post by TimKennelly »

Thanks Craig.

John,

I reduce my color intensity and sharpness on the little cams for darker churches and then boost them in post for SD results (you don't have to in HD, but as I am not outputting in HD. . .), but pressed for time working very late on a Sunday night on the Trailer I missed doing this on a bunch of these scenes.

Not to mention I did not have to have the settings reduced at this church, but per my mention of the circumstances about this shoot on another thread I did not have any time to tweak cam settings beyond the basics of frame and focus prior to the beginning of the ceremony.

I am not perfect on all the beats and just ignored other ones I would have used more shots to hit more beats if I had had the time like on for a real edit and I hate the abrupt audio ending to the piece, but I got it out and up in time for the Monday commit despite obligations to be elsewhere most of Sunday and Monday.

That's most of what I was referring to with my "I am not totally happy with it" initial statement. 8-)

I am busy with other commitments at this point and cannot afford the luxury of going back and tweaking it.

When I get to that actual wedding I will probably take the time to repair the points I don't like about it as I promise to keep it up for 6 months per contract and it will bug me to death if I don't ultimately "make it right".

Heck, I might just start over as I wasn't even that keen on the music choice.

And yes, the visible light was a Reception Light.

The light reflecting off the couple when I was shooting from the other side of the dance floor was from a second one I made myself with an old 50 watt light that has been hanging in my studio ceiling unused for ten years so I have two of them now.

I really like them.

Tim Kennelly
TomHajewski
Casablanca Unit: Prestige with most of the software. SE 7.

Post by TomHajewski »

Very good, Tim! I did like the music - it gave me a sense of anticipation, just what I would expect from a "coming attraction" type video.
Tom Hajewski
TimKennelly

Post by TimKennelly »

Thanks Tom.

Tim Kennelly
jeffphilips
Casablanca Unit: Renomee Plus, SE 7

Post by jeffphilips »

Nice shot selection Tim! You did a nice job choosing shots that made the 2-D screen look 3-D. You used the foreground very well.
My question is, are you shooting in HD? The other is, what setting are you using in windows media encoder to get such a good quality picture? Or is it just that you are shooting in hd?
Thanks,
Jeff
Jeff Philips
In Focus Studios
Raleigh/Durham
North Carolina
Cassie user since 1999
TimKennelly

Post by TimKennelly »

Thank you Jeff.

I am always looking for foreground ways to enhance the depth of a shot as video is otherwise such a flat medium that doesn't translate scale well.

Yes I am shooting in HDV, but I downconvert in cam and edit strictly SD as HDV is soooo slow to edit with even with the Solitaire.

I am hoping the S4000Pro I have on order will allow me to edit in HDV and then downconvert to SD for SD projects as I have heard this gives you a noticeably better result.

As for WME, I Disk Transferred the file from my Solitaire to the PC and I believe I use CBR with a bit rate setting of 1128 kbs.

Tim Kennelly
jeffphilips
Casablanca Unit: Renomee Plus, SE 7

Post by jeffphilips »

Thanks Tim and John for that tip on the settings. I have been using the vhs setting which is only 300 kbps. I have tried the dvd quality, but that had issues with horizontal lines appearing, especially if there was alot of action.
I will give the setting you used a try.
Jeff
Jeff Philips
In Focus Studios
Raleigh/Durham
North Carolina
Cassie user since 1999