Canon 7D & 5D Mark II

A place to share sample video projects
SYLRENAUD
Casablanca Unit: 2/S4100 1/S6000 Bogart SE 5, Arabesk 5
most all of the software on all 3 units.
We shoot everything with HDSLR's.
Four Canon 5d mark II and one 7d.

Re: Canon 7D & 5D Mark II

Post by SYLRENAUD »

Len nice to hear from you again :) We don't live far away from each other so next time one of us goes up or down the 416 lets hook up for coffee.
Unfortunately I wont make the 2012 MGT but I hear that HDSLR training will be a big part of the event !!
Thats great and I commend Jim on this initiative. I'm sure everyone will be in good hands. As for the workflow with our machines I am _always_
available for anyone in the community here on the BB or ichat,emails etc to share my experiences good & bad.

Citizen Kane is a masterpiece & great use of deep focus... everything is definitely contextual including Depth of Field to get a certain emotional or visual response.
For me having used regular cameras for so long that all in focus look was getting old & limiting. (I'm not referring to live sports or concerts shoots etc but to anything stylized)
I think its possible to do both with HDSLR's
If you look at my Pond Inlet montage http://vimeo.com/22799942 I used both all in focus for more landscape, Iceberg shots
& shallow DOF for the more intimate shots when the town and people are revealed.
The problem with regular video cameras is that to get the shallow DOF you have to shoot from very far away and zoom in to get it &
in a controlled environment this can be achieved very succesfully but when you are shooting run & gun weddings etc the SLR's are
much more practical even with all the limitations they have. I'm sure the workarounds will be taught at MGT 2012 if not I can share
them here as well for anyone interested. I also am a believer in less is more...I don't use a lot of special effects, bells, whistle etc in post... our machines are so simple to use that
HDSLR & Macrosystem are a perfect fit for me :)

At the end of the day its what you do with the equipment you work with & I think _this montage_ by Matthew Brown http://vimeo.com/10530896 is a masterpiece !! It was shot
on a Canon HV 40 http://www.canon.ca/inetCA/products?m=gp&pid=1017 and it has over 77K hits on Vimeo. His editing is OUTSTANDING.

Syl
yennyb
Casablanca Unit: Renommee Plus

Post by yennyb »

Hi Syl,
I loved your arctic video. It was so real I could almost feel the cold, and I had to put my overcoat on ! :D
Have you ever seen Billy Connolly's Journey To The Edge Of The World video.
I have it on Blu-ray and it chronicles his 10 week trip across Canada, from Newfoundland to BC, including the Arctic Circle.
Billy's from my old home town of Glasgow, Scotland.
If you haven't seen it, I highly recommend it.
Hooking up for a coffee (or something stronger) sounds like a great idea sometime.
I used to live in Toronto. I now live in Peterborough which is still quite a way from Ottawa, but I sincerely hope our paths can cross one day soon. Are you ever in the Peterborough area ?
You can email me at lenvine20@yahoo.ca

Cheers,

Len
SYLRENAUD

Post by SYLRENAUD »

Our first country music wedding recap :) I just loved the passion between this couple !!

http://vimeo.com/28387805

Syl
Rick
Casablanca Unit: S6000\HEMI\Arabesk 4.\BlueBox World\
BordreX\3DShapes\Fonts1-4ProPack2\MagicLights\
PhotoStudio\Quadcam\
SplitXWedding\
Motion3D\CandyFactory\
MotionPerfect\LiquidImages\
PIPStudio\Powerkey\Twixtor\Title Studio|
VMECompact50\...Cameras - Nikon D7000\Sony HVR-Z5U\Sony HDR-FX1000
PremerePro\CS2\AfterEffects\ProShowProducer\Adobe Lightroom
WorkPrinter Frame by Frame Transfer\Cinecap\

Post by Rick »

Our first country music wedding recap :) I just loved the passion between this couple !!

http://vimeo.com/28387805

Hey Syrenaud Great Work...I don't know what it is about Country music and Video it just seems to work well...I noticed a little camera shake on some of your shots have you tried using Macro Deshaker..I just purchased it and used it on my lastest Highlight, it does a fairly decent job.

Here is my latest I used the deshaker on some shots and my first attempt with my NIKON D7000, I am trying to Blend DSLR with my sony Z5U. It's taking some getting used to using DSLR. very different way of shooting. Most different for Weddings because of the fast and furious pace you have to shoot. I would love to see macro with some filters like Magic Bullet. I am thinkig about importing my highlights into Adobe and than appying some filters for a better blend. Great work and thanks for sharing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hSiLMmvaw4
Last edited by Rick on Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:21 am, edited 2 times in total.
Never underestimate the other guys Greed...
SYLRENAUD

Post by SYLRENAUD »

Thanks for sharing your recap Rick many beautiful closing shots :) & I look forward too seeing some more DSLR work from you.
As for the camera shake on the latest montage I posted did you mean the shaking that can sometimes happen with the sensor
or some of the actual camera movements ?
If you mean the sensor yes thats one of a possible issue that comes up in run & gun shooting.
If you meant some of the camera moves then that would be a personal preference as sometimes we use it deliberately to give
a "floating camera" feel to a scene. Yes its suppose to shake & go in and out of focus... kind of a dreamy half awake feel.
Sometimes its just turning around quickly or coming in at the last second and capturing a real moment _not staged_ like when she opened the gift you can only get that
original reaction once so in that case its far from being shot the way I wanted but it was real and an important part of the day.

Dont give up on DSLR you will get better with every project !!
Not a big fan of country music but I wont give up on it ;) lol

Cheers

Syl
Rick
Casablanca Unit: S6000\HEMI\Arabesk 4.\BlueBox World\
BordreX\3DShapes\Fonts1-4ProPack2\MagicLights\
PhotoStudio\Quadcam\
SplitXWedding\
Motion3D\CandyFactory\
MotionPerfect\LiquidImages\
PIPStudio\Powerkey\Twixtor\Title Studio|
VMECompact50\...Cameras - Nikon D7000\Sony HVR-Z5U\Sony HDR-FX1000
PremerePro\CS2\AfterEffects\ProShowProducer\Adobe Lightroom
WorkPrinter Frame by Frame Transfer\Cinecap\

Post by Rick »

Yes I know what you mean.."Gorilla Shooting".
Yes I will Keep at the DSLR...Your Depth of Field for Detail Shots are Terrific.
Never underestimate the other guys Greed...
SYLRENAUD

Post by SYLRENAUD »

Here is a great example of how useful the audio from the built in microphones on the 5d or any other SLR's can be. (I use to plug in a Rhodes mic but found it created floating audio & its also a little bulky sitting on top)
Once you have set up your exposure and don't touch the controls it can provide _very_ acceptable audio for little moments throughout the day.
The speech from the podium was recorded with the Zoom H4n but the rest is all from the built in mic.

http://vimeo.com/28750610

Syl
SYLRENAUD

Post by SYLRENAUD »

Produced back in September this 2 day event had us using every single tool we currently have available including
Lenses: 10-22mm,35mm,50mm,70-200mm,200mm.
...and all ten 32gig cards full :geek:

http://vimeo.com/29750409

Probably the most demanding Wedding shoot we've done so far.
Of course this is just the trailer...there is a 30min wedding film plus over 6 hrs of real time 4 cam mix footage.
Feels like I'm still not charging enough LOL

Syl
SYLRENAUD

Post by SYLRENAUD »

We shot this last week in East Sussex, England. Got very lucky with the lighting :) it was a rare beautiful 2 days of sunshine in November for the region.
Shot with a 5d Mark II & 7d
Lenses 35mm & 70-200mm
Audio: camera mic & Zoom H4n
Editor: S-4100

http://vimeo.com/32740290

For anyone interested in beginning to incorporate HDSLR in their arsenal, I will be joining Chet Davis the Casablanca Expert in a 2 part Webinar beginning December 8th,2011
I will be glad to answer any questions & clarify misconceptions about these cameras including the work flow using Casablanca editors.

Cheers

Syl
Last edited by SYLRENAUD on Sun Nov 27, 2011 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
yennyb
Casablanca Unit: Renommee Plus

Post by yennyb »

Always a pleasure to view your excellent work, Syl.
Unfortunately, for me to switch over to an HDSLR at this point would be futile, as I still edit on a Renommee Plus.
Now if someone would like to buy me an S6000 for Christmas.................!