Learn by doing... FAST, FREE & NEW

A place to share sample video projects
stonepatterson
Casablanca Unit: S6000 (40 software pkgs. from AkabaHD to Twixter) 2 OLD firewire Casablanca Classics (fully-loaded). Hoping eventually for the perfect camera (sometime before I die of old age). Sony 96GB HDR-PJ790. Several lighting & audio recording systems. A very old, 2006 MacPro tower 4TB hard drive & 30GB memory. More LCD monitors, TVs, tripods and misc. equipment then I want to admit to.

Learn by doing... FAST, FREE & NEW

Post by stonepatterson »

I thought I would attempt a kickstarter project. Not expecting to get funded (my first attempt) but wanted to learn how to do it right through experience. Have had a lot of input on what is good and bad about trailer (1:28 minutes long) + cast comments (1:40 minutes long) & pledge gifts (1:30). But before I start doing more trailers, etc. want to get your input as well. There is a lot of good advice on these boards. I certainly could use some. Please remember -- I AM NOT thin skinned. I learn from your comments.

Also. Everyone has pointed out my dated (DVcam) SD cameras being used -- got to use what I have, (and not what I wish I had like a EX-3 or C300). If wishes were horses then beggars would ride! Cannot even afford a quality DSLR, right now. I got to use what I have for now, (bought the S6000, spent every dime I had and love the machine - especially after Dennis gave me some quality tutoring on HDMI and keyboard). So no need to tell me how bad or dated the camera footage LOOKS like. Believe me I KNOW!

Also, $42,000.00 is a big chunk of change (I know I was pushing the envelope on that)! Need to reduce to $10,000.00 for next attempt!

Appreciate any and all other comments! Thanks in advance. I will shut up and read you comments. Taking notes!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/sto ... behind-you
Brad
Casablanca Unit: Casablanca Kron

Re: Learn by doing... FAST, FREE & NEW

Post by Brad »

I'm always interested when I see someone using a Casablanca to edit a feature. I've been going back and forth between a S6000 and FCPX for some time - when I have the cash I'll make a decision! Anyway, I checked out your Kickstarter project. I like your idea - it could be Coen Brothers movie. I've noticed you've re-cut your trailer, made it shorter and punchier, not a bad idea. Sometimes less is more is the best approach in these circumstances. What I guess you want to do in the trailer is create a mood, a tone. I wouldn't use titles to spell out what you're saying, let the images and the way you put them together do the talking for you.
To bring up the Coen Brothers again, the beginning of "No Country for Old Men" is a good example. They create a tone for what is to follow in the first two minutes. The voice over here works really well, it's not in your face, nor does it spell everything out for you, but like the images that go with it, it creates a tone. Maybe you could do something similar, even a passage of dialogue in your script that hints at what your film is about or where it's going could be used over a set of images that conjure the mood of your film. You might not have the Coen Brothers or Tommy Lee Jones to drawl over the top of your images, but you have to think you do! I don't mean to copy what they've done, but if you're trying to sell people on your idea, you have to draw them in and get them interested.
I know you said not to mention it, but the old school looking footage doesn't help you. Because you can shoot exactly the type of footage you want in the trailer, as opposed to grabbing it from a finished film, you can be really selective about what and when you film. Shoot when the sun is low, so first thing in the morning and just before dark(good old magic hour) and use shots of the landscape and the terrain the film will be set or that simply serves your purposes for nailing that tone.
On my ancient Kron, I've used the spice rack to generate a coloured scene that is then matched to a filmed scene with double exposure in the transitions section. Your coloured scene acts as a filter where you can select how strong the coloured effect works on your scene. It works really well in combination with adjusting contrast and saturation. Maybe even deinterlace the footage as well. You probably already know all this!
One last thing and I' ll shut up. Cameras - have you looked into the Panasonic GH2. I's a stills camera but it takes great video. I don't know if it's compatible with Bogart, it's AVCHD, so you would think it would, but someone like Lou Bruno would be the one to ask. Some nerds somewhere have also hacked the camera where the bit rate is increased, it's like a firmware update, but not from Panasonic! Hacked or not the footage is mighty impressive, check out the Gh2 Vimeo page, there's hundreds of examples. Now the best part is that in the US you could probably pick up a body only model for around $600. You could pair it with some Canon fd glass or some old school Nikon ais glass and be spending less than a thousand(or just a bit more).
All the best with your film. I love anyone who's out there doing it. Hope I haven't bored you and everyone else to death.
Brad S.
Brad
Casablanca Unit: Casablanca Kron

Re: Learn by doing... FAST, FREE & NEW

Post by Brad »

Maybe check out this trailer, shot on the GH2 - http://www.vimeo.com/33025136