Scary Business !!!

A place to share sample video projects
stonepatterson
Casablanca Unit: S6000 (40 software pkgs. from AkabaHD to Twixter) 2 OLD firewire Casablanca Classics (fully-loaded). Hoping eventually for the perfect camera (sometime before I die of old age). Sony 96GB HDR-PJ790. Several lighting & audio recording systems. A very old, 2006 MacPro tower 4TB hard drive & 30GB memory. More LCD monitors, TVs, tripods and misc. equipment then I want to admit to.

Scary Business !!!

Post by stonepatterson »

Hello All,

Okay... I started a new, 5 episode on the Scary Business http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pr6KGU75-dk... comments are welcomed.

Please visit and view! Part One is up and Part Two, will go up shortly. Everything you will see in the clip -- was done using my old DVcam DSR 300 (on a tripod with wheels) bought in 1998, some portable LED systems and my S6000 (best editor I have ever had). Watch it in 1080p if you can on a descent sized monitor... Yes, the SD was converted and shrunk to 'look' HD. Not happy with some of the compositions, but had to shoot what was live, had no chance of creating in a 'fixed' and controlled set(s). Plus there was 1000's of people roaming the floor, competition for space.

NOTE -- The blown-out look on the Masquerade Party was pre-planned during the actual shoot, getting that effect is not an easy thing to do JUST in post. But it was enhanced on S6000. The footage going up next week with the Twixter slo-mo and variable, done in SD then converted to HD, will be on reduced, side-by-side panels -- of the Body Art competition and Scary Characters Competitions looks awesome on the edit (now on the S6000).

Last Word -- After all my dreams about getting a EX-3, I am now moving more towards a Sony PMW 200 (due to the 50 Mbps). Yeah, the SXS cards are expensive, but the Pro 64 Gb cards are dropping quickly in price. Any comments on the PMW 200? LOL. Still saving for a camcorder after the past 5 years. Going to continue to use the ol' DVcam DSR 300 till she dies, not worth much after all these years (on Ebay or anywhere else)! As always, feel free to share with others. Comments and suggestions are welcomed! I am not a know it all... I learn by trying to make something good (with no budget to work with) and always seeking to be better.
JBrooks
Casablanca Unit: Casablanca 4 Studio Pro Ultra, Panasonic AG-DVX200 HD/4K Camera, GoPro Hero 2 and Hero 4 Black, Sony and Azden UHF Wireless Mics, Manfrotto 509 HD Pro Tripods, LitePanel Pro Camera Light, iKan 508B LED Portable Light kits.

Re: Scary Business !!!

Post by JBrooks »

Yes, The PMW-200 is the way to go if you have the budget. This model replaces the EX1/3 models which I have & love. They have tweaked a few things image wise & and added a few more bells & whistles, but worth it. I say go for it. You might consider purchasing the external SxS card reader Sony makes for this camera instead of using the built in USB port on the cam itself so you can continue shooting while uploading cards etc....my thought.

Joel Brooks
http://www.mitvideoproductions.com
Joel Brooks
MIT Video Productions
Macrosystem Americas Dealer
www.mitvideoproductions.com
jbrooks@mitvideoproductions.com
817-771-8347
jimmeeker
Casablanca Unit: Avio, Solitaire, with OS 9.1 and S-6000 with Bogart 5 & all software

Post by jimmeeker »

Hello,

Good job. Where was this convention held? The titles and various PIPs were good, but I would
try to use at least a hand held mic to get your audio closer and eliminate the background noise.

You put a lot of work into this and everything was interesting and made me want to know more
about the event...except for the background sounds drowning out the speeches of each Company's
representative.

I love my S-6000 as well.
Jim Meeker
The Old Timer

Founder of the
"March Get Together"

We Remember
12-7-41 and 9-11-01
Milan, Illinois
S-6000 w/Bogart 5 /Solitaire, Avio DVD / All Software OS 9.1/ Panasonic HMC150p AVCHD Camcorder
stonepatterson
Casablanca Unit: S6000 (40 software pkgs. from AkabaHD to Twixter) 2 OLD firewire Casablanca Classics (fully-loaded). Hoping eventually for the perfect camera (sometime before I die of old age). Sony 96GB HDR-PJ790. Several lighting & audio recording systems. A very old, 2006 MacPro tower 4TB hard drive & 30GB memory. More LCD monitors, TVs, tripods and misc. equipment then I want to admit to.

Post by stonepatterson »

Thank you for the comments, Jim,

You are absolutely right about the microphone! I have several great quality microphones -- did not take any, could only take what I could carry quickly in hand (ran out of pockets and hands). Was using a heavy, DSR 300, with heavy duty tripod, heavy weight tripod wheels, several big old Sony BP-L90A batteries and lots of tapes and LED lights. I knew that I was in trouble the moment I was set up and was running the cam, with headphones on, at the MHC exhibit floor. 1000's of people. Loud!

Two weeks later I did another shoot using same equipment but with several wireless and hand held mics... Audio was perfect. Want to get the most out of the DSR300 before she is retired. Love the S6000 for fast -- beautiful edits... Shot 8 hours of tape in 3 days (hate the linear tape wait). I did 4 full edits in 4 days of The Australian Haunt Competition, (where haunt 8 actors vie for three free-round-trip and good paid jobs to make 'em scream in Australia at an 'American' style commercial haunted house). A sample portion is up at my YouTube site...

In four days I start a new project, which some fellow CasablancaForum.US members (on these boards) might think of as cool, some won't, (but more on that later). It is a dream production (for me) where I shoot at 60+ haunted houses (I will be going in solo -- I don't believe in ghosts and to old to be scared) for 6 weeks across the United States -- in September/October. Happy Halloween. Yikes! Hopefully I will be using a new PMW200 until late October, then switching to a new PMW300. Think my wife will get anything for those cameras when she tries to sell them, if I end up disappearing and the cameras are haunted? LOL (movie plot)!

Thanks for any and all comments. I really learn from them.