Sony PMW EX1 & EX3 DVDs

For all those great, but off-Casablanca-editing, topics
BobFoster
Casablanca Unit: Foster, Georgia video Productions, Inc
Bishop, GA Karat X2, Bogart 5.6
Most all software, 2X Sony HVR-NX3 Sony HVR-A1U, Sony PD-170/150, Sony HVR Z5U, 3 - Canopus ADVC500 converter, 2 x HXR-NX3 Sony Cameras

Sony PMW EX1 & EX3 DVDs

Post by BobFoster »

Our resident Lou Bruno is an excellent source for all camera information. Here is another source for those considering or already owning a Sony PMW EX1 or PMW EX3. http://tinyurl.com/yec86xb I have not yet seen these DVDs, but the index covered would indicate that they are more than just a revision of Sony's instruction manual. The URL is for a DVD for sale on ebay covering the EX1. If you look into the "Other items for sale", you will find the EX3 and several other cameras covered.
The author and producer of these DVDs is a trainer etc. for Sony. I have 0 connections with any part of the DVDs or the author. Just sharing some FYI for a source of information in addition to our own in-house resident expert. I am considering one of these cameras. "Knowledge is Power"

Here is a partial list of the credentials listed in this ebay listing:

Doug Jensen is the owner of Vortex Media, a cameraman, producer, director, editor, consultant and trainer with over 25 years of video production and post-production experience. Jensen combines his extensive production experience with his teaching skills to bring a wide-ranging, real-world perspective to his independent DVD workshops and live seminars.

As a member of Sony's Independent Certified Experts (I.C.E.) team he has taught high-definition XDCAM classes for Sony at NAB, Japan, Hollywood, New York, Boston, Philadelphia, and Pittsburgh. In the summer of 2007 Sony hired him to shoot demo footage with a pre-production EX1 camcorder, and to operate the camera during field tests conducted by Discovery Communications.
BobFoster
Most all software, 2X Sony HVR-NX3 Sony HVR-A1U, Sony PD-170/150, Sony HVR Z5U, 3 - Canopus ADVC500 converter, 2 x HXR-NX3 Sony Cameras

Re: Sony PMW EX1 & EX3 DVDs

Post by BobFoster »

Well I got the DVD instructions in and found that an EX1 or EX3 was not for me. The $100 invested in the DVDs saved me a pile of money on not buying the EX cameras. Maybe I can resell them and recover part of my expense. I did not know that these cameras were wide screen High def only cameras. The gorgeous images that you see in demos are from the 35gbs recordings which MSUS products cannot use anyway. A comparison in the instructional DVDs showed the difference which is significant. Yes the 25gbs images are fantastic but do not compare to the 35gbs video.

Next camera of interest would be Sony's HVR-Z7U camera. Anyone have any downside comments to make about this camera. I know it has the Exmore CMOS (3) but reviews indicate no wobbly jello video unless in extreme shaking. Your feedback would be appreciated. Thanks
TimKennelly
Casablanca Unit: No Casablanca unit currently.

Post by TimKennelly »

Bob,

It will have the partial frame flash artifact with high contrast photo flashes due to the inherent rolling shutter all current CMOS based chips use.

This "look" bothers some videographers to the point of insanity and other videogs do not consider it an issue so you have to make up your own mind.
My mom always told me that happiness was the key to life.
At school they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up.
I said “happy" and they told me I didn’t understand the question.
I told them they didn’t understand life.

Tim Kennelly
BobFoster

Post by BobFoster »

Tim, when you say this "look", are you referring to the results of the photo flash or the general look of the overall video? I rarely ever have a shoot where camera flashes are involved. I'll leave that problem to the "Event" videographers.
JBrooks
Casablanca Unit: Casablanca 4 Studio Pro Ultra, Panasonic AG-DVX200 HD/4K Camera, GoPro Hero 2 and Hero 4 Black, Sony and Azden UHF Wireless Mics, Manfrotto 509 HD Pro Tripods, LitePanel Pro Camera Light, iKan 508B LED Portable Light kits.

Post by JBrooks »

Bob,

As an EX1 owner I can say that the rolling shutter is not a big issue with me infact, I like the effect it has on wedding photo flashes to a degree. Bogart CAN input the 35mb footage from the Sony EX1 & EX3. From a visual resolution stand point, one would be very hard pressed to see the difference between DV 25 & DV 35 bitrates however, I would like to see MS bring us the ability to edit in the high end compression format bitrates of 50mb and be able to utilize the firewire 800 transfers, have component, and SDI i/o as well.

Joel Brooks
MIT Video
http://www.mitvideoproductions.com
Joel Brooks
MIT Video Productions
Macrosystem Americas Dealer
www.mitvideoproductions.com
jbrooks@mitvideoproductions.com
817-771-8347
TimKennelly
Casablanca Unit: No Casablanca unit currently.

Post by TimKennelly »

Bob,

I was strictly referring to the flash artifact commonly referred to as "partials" when I said "the look".

As you mention that is not a factor in your shooting environment then the taste issue regarding partials is irrelevant.

The "jello" artifact of fast movement can be controlled to a major extent by shutter speed and with the three larger CMOS chips that the Z7 has you have a lot of control there.
My mom always told me that happiness was the key to life.
At school they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up.
I said “happy" and they told me I didn’t understand the question.
I told them they didn’t understand life.

Tim Kennelly
LouBruno
Casablanca Unit: STUDIO ULTRA ,SAPHIR, MS TRAVEL ..with ALL SOFTWARE, Cassie Travel Laptop PRO- Bogart Windows, MSI APACHE laptop with BOGART and all Current BOGART & Arabesk. Saphir 2.
GLIDECAM HD-2000, I-Pad latest, Sony HX-99..4K still camera

SONY FDR-53 4K,
, SONY FDR AX-700 HDR 4K video camera, GoPro HD2&3, SONY HDR-CX150 small HD pocket camera, SONY AX-53. Panasonic HC-20

Two Samsung BD D5700 Blu-ray players. OPPO 4K player.
JVC DT-V20L1 HDV monitor, All Music2Hues and Digital Hotcakes, Nikon D-80 still camera, NIKON D7100 HDSLR 18-300mm lens, D500 Nikon, 10 professional bicycles, two camels and a donkey :-) ........ Gocycle@gmail.com

Post by LouBruno »

I have the Z-5 and am open to questions. I like the archive to tape and the extra flash drive unit which works well in Bogart SE.

The Z-7 has the same chip but a 12X lens-that is why it is more "light sensitive" tha the 20X. Personally, I prefer the 20X lens on the Z-5 andthe NOT so front heavy lens of the Z-7.
Last edited by LouBruno on Mon Nov 30, 2009 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BobFoster

Post by BobFoster »

Lou I just purchased the Z5 with remote lens control and the Sony VCLHG0872K wide-angle lens kit and matte box. I too like the availability of a 20X zoom. The flash card unit is not std with the Z5 as it is with the Z7. Any suggestions for a good supplier at a good price for someone reliable such as B&H Photo??