Check This out.

For all those great, but off-Casablanca-editing, topics
BobFoster
Casablanca Unit: Foster, Georgia video Productions, Inc
Bishop, GA Karat X2, Bogart 5.6
Most all software, 2X Sony HVR-NX3 Sony HVR-A1U, Sony PD-170/150, Sony HVR Z5U, 3 - Canopus ADVC500 converter, 2 x HXR-NX3 Sony Cameras

Re: Check This out.

Post by BobFoster »

Bob, I had my memory jogged by one of the responses to your original question. A Whirlwind black box can accept about any input and convert it to a mic level for your wireless to accept. Here is a model that I have used that will fill the bill about anywhere in any situation you would run across. http://tinyurl.com/yjgflrz
flvideo
Casablanca Unit: Bogart 6.1 for windows, Renommee, Avio pro, and a cassie classic
2 Sony PD170s, 2 panasonic dvx100s, 1 JVC DV300, 1 sony DCRhc42
1 panasonicpvGS120

Post by flvideo »

Thanks Bob, I looked at that and it looks good. I talked to Audio Technica and they said I need a mic level. They also said an attenuator on the Phone jack would be OK although not as clean. I'll get the stuff I shot last night in my Cassie and see hoe it sounds. I brought the volume on the phone buss down a lot lower than I had ever run it before. In fact I may have to boost some areas when I edit. As many different venues I shoot in it would probably behoove my purposes to get that whirl wind. I'll let you all know how it turns out. I must say that it is sweet to have this forum to get help with different problems. I have struggled with different aspects of this business for over 20 years and usually muddled my way through. Its nice to be able to consult people who have similar interests. Thanks Bob...
CKNewman
Casablanca Unit: Windows computer with Bogart SE 13.3, Arabesk 7, Audio Effects Pack v1.2b, Motion 3D XL-1 Pack 1, Sentry HD-Backup, Disk Juggler, Power Key, Aspector, Chromit, Effects Pack 8, Effect Pack 9, PiP Studio 3, Time-X, Ultimate Spice Box HD, Slivers, PIP Studio 4 ; Older windows computer with Bogart 8.4, Arabesk 7; Kron Plus with SE 8.3, most Generation 2 software except for CB Paint, Columbus, titling add-ons, and graphics symbols. Various TVs and a Kenner Give-A-Show Projector

Post by CKNewman »

The top row of red knobs on the 1202 are the Aux 1 volume controls. I researched and found that the older 1202 did not have an Aux Send Master in addition to the individual channel Aux 1 volume controls.

I wonder if some tracks have their mixer's controls set at too high a level for the input of the PA amplifier. That would definitely cause distortion, coughing, sputtering, drop-outs.... get the picture? If that's the case it's better to back the levels down on the mixer and raise the volume of the PA amplifier.
Craig Newman
CKNewman
Casablanca Unit: Windows computer with Bogart SE 13.3, Arabesk 7, Audio Effects Pack v1.2b, Motion 3D XL-1 Pack 1, Sentry HD-Backup, Disk Juggler, Power Key, Aspector, Chromit, Effects Pack 8, Effect Pack 9, PiP Studio 3, Time-X, Ultimate Spice Box HD, Slivers, PIP Studio 4 ; Older windows computer with Bogart 8.4, Arabesk 7; Kron Plus with SE 8.3, most Generation 2 software except for CB Paint, Columbus, titling add-ons, and graphics symbols. Various TVs and a Kenner Give-A-Show Projector

Post by CKNewman »

I think that because Bob is using a stereo source (the headphone jack), the Direct Box he needs should be able to accept stereo inputs and sum them into a single mono output.
Craig Newman
flvideo
Casablanca Unit: Bogart 6.1 for windows, Renommee, Avio pro, and a cassie classic
1 panasonicpvGS120

Post by flvideo »

I think I am going to order the Whirlwind box. I think I need that in my arsenel. I'd like to be able to address all possibility when I go off on a job. I have a closed trailer that I carry my Golf cart in. I have thought about rigging my trailer with my equipment, but the difference in fuel is staggering. My truck gets about 21-22 MPG on the road and pulling my trailer it gets 14 to15. Its a diesel so the fuel is expensive. $2.85 a gallon I paid last night. I went to Brunswick Ga for a race When it was $4 a gallon. It cost me $386 in fuel alone. I had motels and eating out for 3 days. It was hard to make any money that way. Bob...
flvideo
1 panasonicpvGS120

Post by flvideo »

I just wanted to let you know I edited the races from Sat and the audio was good. It was a little low and I had to go in and raise every scene about 4 DB. Thats one thing I don't like about using firewire to input. I have no control of audio or video going in. Maybe I'll get use to it. I turned the pot for the Phone down quite a bit. I'll have to play with that. It sounded god in my headset. Bob...
CKNewman

Post by CKNewman »

You do have control over the audio when it's input via firewire. It's been there since Smart Edit 3, when I still had some brown hair left. It's in the manual. ;)

When you go to the RECORD screen you'll see a small square with audio meters in the top left corner of the control panel. Click on it and a volume control slider comes up. I try to keep the audio in the blue with peaks going a little bit into the yellow.
Craig Newman
flvideo
1 panasonicpvGS120

Post by flvideo »

At least you've got some hair. LOL! You are right I didn't have that up. I have used it at times. I am acustom to using a mixer. I have a little 5 channel mixer in line of the Audio and it didn't effect the level at all. I stand Scolded... Bob..
flvideo
1 panasonicpvGS120

Post by flvideo »

Well Craig I got a whirlwind today. I went to Sam Ash music and explained my problem to a guy in the pro audio dept. and he suggested it. Not only that I got it $30 cheaper than the what the web site I looked at had it offered for. So I have a new toy to play with Sat. i've got so much in my sound case I need a hand cart almost. Thanks for your direction. Bob...
CKNewman

Post by CKNewman »

Let us know how the Whirlwind works out for you. What model number was it? Did the salesman say it would work with a stereo signal from the headphone jack?

The original Cassie would let you input audio separately from the firewire video input. The generation 2 editors get both audio and video through the firewire interface. That's why your 5 channel mixer didn't have any effect on the audio - even though the audio cables were all in place.
Craig Newman