Starting from Scratch

For all those great, but off-Casablanca-editing, topics
MikeMattke
Casablanca Unit: S2000 with all software. I also have a Prestige that I used on my film transfer station. I have B4W loaded on a laptop. I have a S4000 Pro that I am going to trade in for a discount on software for my B4W setup. I even have my first Cassie, the AVIO that I am going to hook up. Not sure what I will use it for but I want to see it run again.

Starting from Scratch

Post by MikeMattke »

I am contemplating starting a small business. My Cassie editors, cameras, etc. that I have used over the years were owned by the City. I am working up a plan and trying to figure out what bare necessitites I need [equipment-wise] to get going. Help me fill in the blanks based on your experiences.

1. Editor - S-2000?
2. Camera - I am a Canon user but could be persuaded since I am using my own money now
3. Wireless mic
4. Tripod
Mike Mattke
"Father of the Casablanca Cafe"
Sturgeon Bay, WI
CKNewman
Casablanca Unit: Windows computer with Bogart SE 13.3, Arabesk 7, Audio Effects Pack v1.2b, Motion 3D XL-1 Pack 1, Sentry HD-Backup, Disk Juggler, Power Key, Aspector, Chromit, Effects Pack 8, Effect Pack 9, PiP Studio 3, Time-X, Ultimate Spice Box HD, Slivers, PIP Studio 4 ; Older windows computer with Bogart 8.4, Arabesk 7; Kron Plus with SE 8.3, most Generation 2 software except for CB Paint, Columbus, titling add-ons, and graphics symbols. Various TVs and a Kenner Give-A-Show Projector

Re: Starting from Scratch

Post by CKNewman »

Is this business a side-line? If it is to be your main source of income, don't forget to factor in health insurance.

What do you plan to produce?

Carroll Lam, the Casablanca dealer that maintains the Cassie Tips List, posted this article on his blog regarding the newest offerings of wireless microphones http://web.me.com/clamaround/CLAMCAM_VI ... less).html

I've used Bogen tripods over the years and have found them to be pretty reliable. The sturdier the better (but also more costly). The bogen heads to consider would be the 501 and the 503 for the smaller camera (non-broadcast size) that you'll be using.

A scanner for photographs.

A space, including shelves and a desk, to set up your editing suite.

Equipment bags, including a well-padded camera bag. Some type of hand truck if you plan to be carting around a lot of equipment.

A printer for DVDs

A video monitor for your editor.

An amplifier or stereo receiver (with tape deck eventually) and speakers to monitor the audio.

For night or indoor video - video light(s) with stands and batteries (for an on-camera light).

Headphones.

Business Cards.

Somebody else take over here, I have to get outside! 8-)
Craig Newman
Charles
Casablanca Unit: S6000 Effects 1,2,3,5,7,8 Blue Box World,
Arabesk 6.0a , Bogart 5.5c Disc Transfer 1.2

Post by Charles »

[quote="MikeMattke"]I am contemplating starting a small business. My Cassie editors, cameras, etc. that I have used over the years were owned by the City.

Is someone else taking over your equipment at the "city" if not can you not purchase them from the "city" save a load of dosh
Regards
Charles
MikeMattke
Casablanca Unit: S2000 with all software. I also have a Prestige that I used on my film transfer station. I have B4W loaded on a laptop. I have a S4000 Pro that I am going to trade in for a discount on software for my B4W setup. I even have my first Cassie, the AVIO that I am going to hook up. Not sure what I will use it for but I want to see it run again.

Post by MikeMattke »

I work for the school district and manage the cable channel which falls under the City's umbrella. I have a budget with the City that I used to build up the equipment over the years. My position with the school district is being eliminated so that also screws me over with the City. I am not sure who [if anyone] is replacing me but I have told the City I would be interested in purchasing the S4000 Pro and maybe the camera that I have been using. It all depends if the school administration tries to stick their noses in. I hope the City will allow me to buy what I want and at a good price.

Thanks to Craig for the detailed message. I had thought already of much of that but you reminded me of a few things.
Mike Mattke
"Father of the Casablanca Cafe"
Sturgeon Bay, WI
JBrooks
Casablanca Unit: Casablanca 4 Studio Pro Ultra, Panasonic AG-DVX200 HD/4K Camera, GoPro Hero 2 and Hero 4 Black, Sony and Azden UHF Wireless Mics, Manfrotto 509 HD Pro Tripods, LitePanel Pro Camera Light, iKan 508B LED Portable Light kits.

Post by JBrooks »

Mike,

Contact me off-list. I have some info and equipment you might be interrested in.

Joel Brooks
jbrooks@mitvideoproductions.com
Joel Brooks
MIT Video Productions
Macrosystem Americas Dealer
www.mitvideoproductions.com
jbrooks@mitvideoproductions.com
817-771-8347
BobFoster
Casablanca Unit: Foster, Georgia video Productions, Inc
Bishop, GA Karat X2, Bogart 5.6
Most all software, 2X Sony HVR-NX3 Sony HVR-A1U, Sony PD-170/150, Sony HVR Z5U, 3 - Canopus ADVC500 converter, 2 x HXR-NX3 Sony Cameras

Post by BobFoster »

MikeMattke wrote:I work for the school district and manage the cable channel which falls under the City's umbrella. I have a budget with the City that I used to build up the equipment over the years. My position with the school district is being eliminated so that also screws me over with the City. I am not sure who [if anyone] is replacing me but I have told the City I would be interested in purchasing the S4000 Pro and maybe the camera that I have been using. It all depends if the school administration tries to stick their noses in. I hope the City will allow me to buy what I want and at a good price..
You might get a better reception of your offer to buy if you make a quote for the whole package. If they are going to sell the equipment, they don't want to get in the retail business. Make your offer just a little more than what you would offer for just the things that you want. Also consider that you could resell some of the things you might not need or want. Possibly they might agree to some sort of time payment if you take the whole thing. Good luck! :D
videojim
Casablanca Unit: Casablanca S6000, with 4.1G Bogart.

Post by videojim »

For a scanner, I'd get a printer/scanner combo, like an HP or something. I use an HP4580, and it serves me well. Also, a good sound recorder is one I have mentioned elsewhere in here, namely a Hercules H2 sound recorder, which has 2ch/4 channel, front/back mics, and all kinds of useful functions inside, as well as the inputs and outputs you'd want.
Skype ID-talkingrock756