Need advise!

For all those great, but off-Casablanca-editing, topics
flvideo
Casablanca Unit: Bogart 6.1 for windows, Renommee, Avio pro, and a cassie classic
2 Sony PD170s, 2 panasonic dvx100s, 1 JVC DV300, 1 sony DCRhc42
1 panasonicpvGS120

Re: Need advise!

Post by flvideo »

Ian, I'll have to pass from this life to get that promotion. It was a typo for sure. I read your post and wondered what you were refering to. Then I re-read my post and bingo I spotted it. Good eye.

Jeanton Thats brillient, I don't know why I didn't think of that before. I'll put one of my wireless mics on the people I want to be sure I have the audio from and put the reciever on an extra camera thats there shooting anyway. I have used 2 wireles mics on the same camera before but thats confusing at times. I'd love to have one of those twin chanell recievers that will record from 2 transmitters. Its only money. I have seen mp3 recorder/players I am sure. I haven't payed a lot of attention to them. Isn't that what radio reporters use? My problem was that I have a mic on the board but some times they don't use the mic and I dom't get good audio. I then just lose those scenes where they weren't using a mic thats on the board. You are a genious. Thanks Bob...
videojim
Casablanca Unit: Casablanca S6000, with 4.1G Bogart.

Post by videojim »

For audio recording I use a Hercules Handy Recorder H2. It records in any format you like with a variety of compression schemes if you're not making a wav file. It records to an SD card, which is especially valuable, as you can just stick that in a card reader, or feed mini plug cable directly out of the unit. Makes 2-channel, 4 channel, 2 mic, 4 mic, front or back, both. Its an extremely versatile unit that I mount on a mini tripod to avoid vibrations from a table top. Also comes with a screw in mount to sit in a mic stand. I do interviews with it exclusively because I can no longer read my own handwriting unless its written very slowly, which interviews won't allow. Don't know how big a card you can use in it, but I use a 2 gig one. Uses 2 AA batteries, which I keep out of it unless I'm using it. Don't want a long term leak problem corroding the battery box.
Skype ID-talkingrock756
videojim
Casablanca Unit: Casablanca S6000, with 4.1G Bogart.

Post by videojim »

Got it out to see what the range of recording formats is, and I stand corrected, as usual. It'll put down anywhere from 44.1/16 bit to 96k/24 bit, and mp3 range is from 48kbps to 320kbps, including YBR. I'd need an audio geek to tell me what YBR is or means, but it sounds like this little unit does it all! Even has a USB port, line in, external mic in, as well as the line out/headphone plug. Cost me about $200 or so. can't remember exactly.
Skype ID-talkingrock756
HansJoachimKoenig
Casablanca Unit: KARAT Bogart 7.1
1-Monitor Mode
Almost all software
Arabesk 6.3f / Ext-HD /Ext-HD-Dock
Sony Cam XR520

Audio Recorder

Post by HansJoachimKoenig »

Google search for Audio Recorder Samson Zoom H2.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAOJQ_78Y7I
Hans-Joachim König
Berlin / Germany
Volker
Casablanca Unit: equipment: Sony HDR-XR520, Sony RX10, GoPro Hero1, Actionpro X7, Canon Ixus 70, 2xEnterprise MAX with Bogart SE 5/6, Samsung 42" FullHD LCD, Samsung 22" DVI Monitor, Samsung 22" HDMI TV Monitor

Post by Volker »

I have the Zoom H2 Recorder.

It records every tiny bit of audio it can get :-)
So if you are in the vicinity of it while it records, you better hold your breath and stop moving. No joke.

I used it to record a concert of my band the other day. Recorded in MP3 format.
I imported this MP3 file with the Media Manager and transfered the sound clip to my Bogart project. Put it into an empty audio track and rendered.
The audio went out of synch after a few minutes. How can that be? Any ideas? There were no gaps in the audio nor in the video.
Volker Hill - Germany
Walter
Casablanca Unit: Prestige, Smart Edit 9.1, Bonus Effects, Card Drive, DVD Arabesk 4.1, Effects 1-4, Fonts 1-4, Motion 3D Vol 2, Motion Perfect, Photo Transfer, Powerkey, Steady Hand, Surround Effect, VME Compact 50, Sony VX2100 Old Member #1870 Registered: Apr. 2002

Post by Walter »

Hello Volker,
Had the same problem with a graduation ceremony last year. MP3 files play at a slightly different rate. My son used a program called Audacity? to stretch the sound without changing the pitch. Took a few hours to figure it out (also some mathematics involved) until it was completely synchronized. Possibly off by 5 seconds over 70 minutes.

I'm sure the experts can explain why this happens.
Walter Altenmueller
The olympic flame came to Abbotsford February 7, 2010.
Volker
Casablanca Unit: equipment: Sony HDR-XR520, Sony RX10, GoPro Hero1, Actionpro X7, Canon Ixus 70, 2xEnterprise MAX with Bogart SE 5/6, Samsung 42" FullHD LCD, Samsung 22" DVI Monitor, Samsung 22" HDMI TV Monitor

Post by Volker »

Hi Walter,
I have audio off by 1 or 2 frames over 5 minutes or so. But you easily notice this when you are editing a rock concert.
I also have Audacity here. I will give it a try.
Maybe the problem occurs during transcoding from 44,1 kHz sampling frequency to the internal 48 kHz (is that true?) frequency of Bogart SE?
Maybe one should setup the Zoom device to 48 kHz before recording ?! Who knows...
Volker Hill - Germany
flvideo
Casablanca Unit: Bogart 6.1 for windows, Renommee, Avio pro, and a cassie classic
2 Sony PD170s, 2 panasonic dvx100s, 1 JVC DV300, 1 sony DCRhc42
1 panasonicpvGS120

Post by flvideo »

Hi Volker, I have a customer that is the leader of a band. He also has this Zoom recorder you speak of and he has brought me the SD cards from it and he wants me to edit the video and the audio. I can't figure out how to get them in my editor. I loaded them in my computer and the sound is beautiful the video isn't bad either. I use a Renommee and it doesn't have media manager. Any ideas?
Bob...
TimKennelly
Casablanca Unit: No Casablanca unit currently.

Post by TimKennelly »

I believe with the generation two machines burning them as MP3 or WAV files to CD would probably be your best bet.
My mom always told me that happiness was the key to life.
At school they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up.
I said “happy" and they told me I didn’t understand the question.
I told them they didn’t understand life.

Tim Kennelly