selling video services

For all those great, but off-Casablanca-editing, topics
jeffphilips
Casablanca Unit: Renomee Plus, SE 7

selling video services

Post by jeffphilips »

In the current economy, I was wondering how the folks that do video for a living are getting new business?
Our phones have been very quite for sometime.
I have done a lot with SEO and we are ranked on the first page with most of our keywords. I do networking with 2 chambers and are members of networking group called BNI (Business Networking International), which has helped keep our doors open.
I have never had any luck with print.
Anyone have any suggestions? Does anyone have a sales person? If so, what are you going after, corporate, weddings or sports?

Thanks all for any advise!
Jeff Philips
In Focus Studios
Raleigh/Durham
North Carolina
Cassie user since 1999
RonaldPawlak
Casablanca Unit: Bogart 5.3 O.S.,Arabesk 5.4c, S4K Pro, most software, not a lot of HD software, Exterrnal USB blu-ray burner, Just purchase (2) XF-100 Canon cameras and one VIXIA HF-S10, HD cameras. (2) Senheisser Wireless Mics.

Re: selling video services

Post by RonaldPawlak »

The amount of business that I have this year went the way of the economy. Had some calls and then was canceled. Since I'm retired I'm not hurting, but I'll bet there are a lot of people that are. For many years I was a proffessional sports cameraman, gave it up for the young people that need the work. Now I just sit in my seat, with a beer in my hand and watch the games. :lol:
flvideo
Casablanca Unit: Bogart 6.1 for windows, Renommee, Avio pro, and a cassie classic
2 Sony PD170s, 2 panasonic dvx100s, 1 JVC DV300, 1 sony DCRhc42
1 panasonicpvGS120

Post by flvideo »

Hey Jeff
I shoot Stock car racing in the southeast. I also do some broadcast work. I am in demand in my part of the country for motorsports Videography. I found that I have had to take on some still Photography last year to survive. As I said we are in demand, tracks want us but we only make what we can sell. I have a couple gigs every year that pay me up front to shoot and I am still able to sell what I can. I have done well for years but as you mention with this economy we are struggleing. One thing I have done is take in some transfers VHS to DVD, Mini toDVD etc. We have started doing some duplication. I have 2 duplicators. I have just struck a deal with a photographer to the north of me and he has hired a young fellow to shoot video and he sends me the tape and I edit it. I am now making a flyer to send to Churches, libarys, and Law offices offering editing, duplication, transfers or shooting what ever. I have bunches of lawyers churches and libarys in the 3 county area of Florida where I live. If I can get business from a fraction of those I pitch to I'll be covered up. To say the least its a hard time to be in any business now. Do those services you are with get you a significant amout of business? If so I may investigate them. We just have to do what we can to survive. Bob....
flvideo
Casablanca Unit: Bogart 6.1 for windows, Renommee, Avio pro, and a cassie classic
1 panasonicpvGS120

Post by flvideo »

Jeff I meant to say something else. In NC where you live the possibilitys are endless with racing and to my knowlege there aren't a lot of people shooting there. I have an old racing buddy that moved up there and he tells me the racers are wanting video at the tracks that he goes to. He is a car owner, and has a younger fellow driving for him. I can't recall the tracks he goes to but if you are interested I'll call him and find out. You can essentially shoot with 1 camera but I shoot at times with as many as 5 cameras. The edit is a nightmare with 5 cameras. I bought Quadcam for it but it doesn't lend its self well for racing. Just an Idea. Bob...
BobFoster
Casablanca Unit: Foster, Georgia video Productions, Inc
Bishop, GA Karat X2, Bogart 5.6
Most all software, 2X Sony HVR-NX3 Sony HVR-A1U, Sony PD-170/150, Sony HVR Z5U, 3 - Canopus ADVC500 converter, 2 x HXR-NX3 Sony Cameras

Post by BobFoster »

As Bob has implied, you may need to look for a more fertile niche. I started out with industrial training videos which had been my forte for several years. After that diminished, i got into surgical videos. The primary surgeon moved to Atlanta and I moved onto training seminars. All with minor specialties to fill in. i.e. film transfers, equestrian sales videos, audio sweetening etc. This past year was one of my best ever. Mostly because of referrals from 25 years of past customers. Look for government opportunities. Their budget rarely suffers from economic depression.
flvideo
1 panasonicpvGS120

Post by flvideo »

Hey Bob
How did you get into surgical video? That sounds interesting. I used to know of a hospital that video taped all their surgerys and I thought about asking about editing them but never did. Maybe its time to do something about that. I had a freind at that Hospital that built and maintained a closed circuit television station within the Hospital. That could have been good. Bob...
jeffphilips

Post by jeffphilips »

Thanks for your ideas guys!

I have done some medical videos myself. My best client has me flying to their major events providing webcasting. It used to be all video, but due to the expense of having a cam op in every room, they are now audio only. I still provide the service, but just not as often.

I know the racing industry has is big here in NC, but I am not aware of any tracks in the raleigh area. I need to research it.
I am curious as to how many videos you sell for one race? The most and the least. My goal with the racers has been to produce a video to help them attract sponsors. I have done a few, but not consistant enough. Need to look into the resale of the race. What do you charge per video?

For years, I have been doing the minor specialties that Bob mentioned for years as well. It is not bad when it is sprinkled in with bigger paying jobs, but not enough to pay the bills with by itself. How have you gotten into the government work? Where do you start and who do you ask? The governement work I have done was through another agency hiring us for the filming. I never dealt directly with the gov agency.

My main line of business as of late has been producing short 1 minute infomercials for company websites. I charge $300-$500 for a 1 hour shoot, editing takes 1.5 hours and includes encoding for the web. But would want more of the $5000-$10,000 shoots.

A niche that has worked great for me has been working with a dj's. I have one dj company that has had us shoot 57 marketing videos of their dj's in action over the past 5 years. They have over 40 dj's and wanted to have the personalities of the dj's available without their potential clients having to crash the party. I just shot 2 this past weekend and one the week prior.

Another niche has been recruiting videos for high school athletes. Football season is by far the best for business, followed by lacrosse and soccer. This past year I have produced about 40 recruiting videos and that doesn't include this years football season. The only downside is that it is that it takes a lot of man power if you have multiple games on the same day. Parentsa are only willing to pay so much. They don't realize what it takes to have a experienced cam op out there rain or shine and also knows the sport. Private schools have been my best clients.

Hope to hear more ideas from folks!
Jeff
Jeff Philips
In Focus Studios
Raleigh/Durham
North Carolina
Cassie user since 1999
BobFoster
Casablanca Unit: Foster, Georgia video Productions, Inc
Bishop, GA Karat X2, Bogart 5.6
Most all software, 2X Sony HVR-NX3 Sony HVR-A1U, Sony PD-170/150, Sony HVR Z5U, 3 - Canopus ADVC500 converter, 2 x HXR-NX3 Sony Cameras

Post by BobFoster »

Bob to Bob. I got into surgery thru a local Gynecologist (no wise cracks please) who was internationally known for performing new techniques with cutting edge technology (sorry). He referred me to other surgeons that wanted to document certain unusual procedures for show and tell.
Jeff, Any group that gets their funding from the government is a government client whether it be the town counsel or the Department of Environmental Protection Agency. Most have a need to showcase their work to justify their existence or promote their department. The usual high end Production facilities are beyond their normal budget. Many professional organizations require continual education hours each year to conform to government or professional requirements. Their seminars are a good source for producing educational videos for the organization to rent or sell for those individuals needing the hours if watching videos is an option.
flvideo
1 panasonicpvGS120

Post by flvideo »

Wher do I sign up with the Gynecologist? I am ready. Jekk I typically get $20 for a racing program and I usually average selling 15 to 20. Not serious money but a living. I also have shot videos for drivers to atract sponsers and thats pretty good. I am able to include a lot of racing footage of them actually racing.
Bob...
jeffphilips

Post by jeffphilips »

I took your advise Bob. I shot 5 races in one night. It was fun, but the only sold 4 dvds. I was told that once the drivers get to know me and the work that I do, they will order more. So far, great reviews on the video. I also made a short opening montage. It is nothing special, just something to get the drivers excited. Check it out if you want. http://www.iplayerhd.com/player/menu1.aspx
Jeff Philips
In Focus Studios
Raleigh/Durham
North Carolina
Cassie user since 1999