How would you "dissolve" a driving scene?

For all those great, but off-Casablanca-editing, topics
nighvideo
Casablanca Unit: Prestige / and Casablance s-4100

Re: How would you "dissolve" a driving scene?

Post by nighvideo »

When I shoot, I shoot for the edit. This takes thought, but after many years you get the hang of it. I'm from the old linear days when crossfades were not affordable unless you were outfitted with AB roll and a fade/take bar. When you are shooting in a chronilogical manner and you want to seam two scenes an old trick is to go out of focus with the cam at the end of the first scene, start the second scene out of focus and bring it into focus. You have to be careful not to contrast too much, trying to make the "out and in", out of focus points blend with each other. Its not that hard to do and it looks very cinematic. Sometimes the old tricks look better than the computer. And when you use the old tricks with the computer it's awsome. (best of both worlds)....
flvideo
Casablanca Unit: Bogart 6.1 for windows, Renommee, Avio pro, and a cassie classic
2 Sony PD170s, 2 panasonic dvx100s, 1 JVC DV300, 1 sony DCRhc42
1 panasonicpvGS120

Post by flvideo »

I use a cut unless the result looks like a jumped edit. Then I try to use the least obvious transition I can find. The crossfade is the one I use the most. I like the page turn When you are trying to change the audiences line of thinking. I try to keep the focus on the video story I'm telling not on my glitz.
my $.02 Bob....
BobFoster
Casablanca Unit: Foster, Georgia video Productions, Inc
Bishop, GA Karat X2, Bogart 5.6
Most all software, 2X Sony HVR-NX3 Sony HVR-A1U, Sony PD-170/150, Sony HVR Z5U, 3 - Canopus ADVC500 converter, 2 x HXR-NX3 Sony Cameras

Post by BobFoster »

Well, all the rules of editing I grew up with are out the window now. I almost get nauseous watching programs today with 1/2 second scenes or less thrown together like a machine gun. Without know the context of the two scenes, a long 2 - 3 second dissolve can bring the viewer to the new setting from the road trip. Only you can get it to "feel" right.
Bob F.