Sony HVR-Z7 Lens adapter

For all those great, but off-Casablanca-editing, topics
ChrisStone
Casablanca Unit: Renommee Plus w/SE8 and all software

Sony HVR-Z7 Lens adapter

Post by ChrisStone »

Hi Folks
Sony makes a lens adapter for the HVR-Z7 that allows you to attach Sony Alpha DSLR lenses to the camera. Its called the LA-100w. http://tinyurl.com/26m4fdt Supposedly it allows you to get the shallow DOF shots that everyone is after now. I have the HVR-Z7 and am just wondering if any of you, or anyone you know has this setup and what the results are.

Thanks
Chris
Chris Stone
Etched In Stone Video Productions
Renommee + SE9, All software, Panasonic AF100 Panasonic AG-160,
Adobe Production Suite CS6
Member # 5
LouBruno
Casablanca Unit: STUDIO ULTRA ,SAPHIR, MS TRAVEL ..with ALL SOFTWARE, Cassie Travel Laptop PRO- Bogart Windows, MSI APACHE laptop with BOGART and all Current BOGART & Arabesk. Saphir 2.
GLIDECAM HD-2000, I-Pad latest, Sony HX-99..4K still camera

SONY FDR-53 4K,
, SONY FDR AX-700 HDR 4K video camera, GoPro HD2&3, SONY HDR-CX150 small HD pocket camera, SONY AX-53. Panasonic HC-20

Two Samsung BD D5700 Blu-ray players. OPPO 4K player.
JVC DT-V20L1 HDV monitor, All Music2Hues and Digital Hotcakes, Nikon D-80 still camera, NIKON D7100 HDSLR 18-300mm lens, D500 Nikon, 10 professional bicycles, two camels and a donkey :-) ........ Gocycle@gmail.com

Re: Sony HVR-Z7 Lens adapter

Post by LouBruno »

Hi Chris and others,

Yes... I have "looked" into this as well last year.

My conclusion, after discussing same with the numerous HDSLR users in both my organization and researching it on the Internet ,is the only benefit would be the use of a wider range of lenses. It seems that besides the lens, the chips are the issue in my HVR-270U (Z-7's big brother) due to their 1/3"size. HDSLR's have an oversize chip, as do the two new SONY and PANASONIC cameras touting a cinematic DOF. When the lenses and the oversized chips are coupled together, the results are outstanding for a shallow DOF.

With the HVR-270/Z-7, I usually utilize the lens at full focal length or open the iris to 1.6 and increase shutter speed as well. Of course, the proper lighting is taken into consideration.
ChrisStone
Casablanca Unit: Renommee Plus w/SE8 and all software

Re: Sony HVR-Z7 Lens adapter

Post by ChrisStone »

Thanks Lou. I kind of thought that if buying this lens adapter and using camera lenses was going to make a big difference, I would have heard about it long ago.
Chris Stone
Etched In Stone Video Productions
Renommee + SE9, All software, Panasonic AF100 Panasonic AG-160,
Adobe Production Suite CS6
Member # 5