Scarlet

For all those great, but off-Casablanca-editing, topics
ASHampton
Casablanca Unit: Loaded Dealer unit

Scarlet

Post by ASHampton »

I am really thinking of putting my name on the waiting list for one of the new RED Scarlet cameras when they release. I was just wondering if any one has had the chance to do any work with a RED ONE?? Talk about a KILLER Camera.
Seth Hampton
Casablanca Gold Star Dealer
Tundra Video LLC
www.tundravideo.com
seth@tundravideo.com
Volker
Casablanca Unit: equipment: Sony HDR-XR520, Sony RX10, GoPro Hero1, Actionpro X7, Canon Ixus 70, 2xEnterprise MAX with Bogart SE 5/6, Samsung 42" FullHD LCD, Samsung 22" DVI Monitor, Samsung 22" HDMI TV Monitor

Re: Scarlet

Post by Volker »

This Scarlet must be THE killer camera from what I have heard so far. But it is interesting how the internet has created this mystic rumors around the RED products. No one has ever seen this camera but it is THE big deal and Peter Jackson ordered a bunch to shoot The Hobbit in 3D with just the REDs.

Anyway, please keep this thread alive and post your thoughts and first hand impressions about this camera.
Volker Hill - Germany
BobFoster
Casablanca Unit: Foster, Georgia video Productions, Inc
Bishop, GA Karat X2, Bogart 5.6
Most all software, 2X Sony HVR-NX3 Sony HVR-A1U, Sony PD-170/150, Sony HVR Z5U, 3 - Canopus ADVC500 converter, 2 x HXR-NX3 Sony Cameras

Post by BobFoster »

A friend of mine's son shoots with Red cameras for National geographic. His comment to his dad was that you need two of them so that you will have one working to actually use. No 1st hand experience. :shock:
ASHampton

Post by ASHampton »

If you think Macrosystem is the only company that has had release delays and issues......please jump over to http://www.reduser.net. Some of these folks have paid massive down payments and waited for two+ years for a product. I must also say that the Kool-Aid is starting to smell really good! Come-On Scarlet!!!! I have been playing around with some small 2K clips using the proprietary software REDCINE-X. The RED Scarlet will shoot 3K files in RAW!!Just slap an adapter on it and twist on your Canon glass. It just blows me away how much latitude that you have in post when you shoot RAW. 13+ Stops!!!!!! Now that's Awesome!!!
Seth Hampton
Tundra Video LLC
www.tundravideo.com
seth@tundravideo.com
TimKennelly
Casablanca Unit: No Casablanca unit currently.

Post by TimKennelly »

That Company has to be the king of vaporhardware promises so I hate the thought that that is the Company you want to use as a measuring stick for MSUS service and promises. :o
My mom always told me that happiness was the key to life.
At school they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up.
I said “happy" and they told me I didn’t understand the question.
I told them they didn’t understand life.

Tim Kennelly
ASHampton

Post by ASHampton »

Pardon me Sir Tim!

I think that your statement "King of Vaporhardware" is a little absurd. First of all....maybe you should take a look at how their Vaporhardware has played such a large role in changing the way digital cinema is viewed. I realize that most folks in general are not interested in this type of technology, but, I also am a firm believer that in order to try and stay on the cutting edge (the razors edge!) we need to be proactive in pursuing whats new.

As far as comparing RED and Macrosystem's ability to pump out "whats new" in a timely fashion...my point was....even companies with massive budgets and seemingly endless amounts of R&D money have problems hitting deadlines. Be my guest to read it anyway that you like. ;)
Seth Hampton
Tundra Video LLC
www.tundravideo.com
seth@tundravideo.com
TimKennelly

Post by TimKennelly »

Seth,

My point was not where they are now, but how long they did the "coming soon" before they had anything but vapor hardware.

Years.

Ok, I see where you were going with it now. ;)

Tim Kennelly
ASHampton

Post by ASHampton »

VaporHardware (I mean RED Scarlet) is at CES!

Sorry.....I just had to. :D :D
Seth Hampton
Tundra Video LLC
www.tundravideo.com
seth@tundravideo.com
TimKennelly

Post by TimKennelly »

We just got a terrific surprise at the Engadget CES trailer: Ted Schilowitz from RED popped in with a RED Scarlet
So, that must be the same "RED Scarlet" that was at CES last January, 2010, a full year ago. . .

Man, what do they call that sort of continued failed promises when it's software?

Oh yeah, vaporware, but this is hardware which is not soft, so I guess you would describe it as vaporhardware.

Does it take multiple firewire input simultaneously by any chance? ;)

I wonder if it's the same preproduction model from last year or a new and improved preproduction model still not out for public sale yet there this January?

Or is it an actual production cam, say one purchased at B & H Photo?

What, not available yet, still?

How much money did real videogs make with the Scarlet or Epic in 2008, 2009, 2010?

Nothing you say, hmmmm, sounds like vaporhardware to me.

This quote from an October 5, 2010 Vizworld article:
RED’s Scarlet camera has suffered continual delays and price increases, and has become somewhat of the black-sheep of the impressive RED portfolio. In an amazingly candid post on their forums, Jim Jannard admits that the concept of Scarlet has a consumer-grade camera was flawed form the beginning.

"The concept of RED was to build a camera with as much capability as possible… for the professional market. Then we thought we could extend it down a bit to the prosumer level. Apparently, that was a mistake."
There are people who have waited on the Red Epic for five years!

Other than the one allegedly stolen the night they got it in France, I understand all are still waiting. . .

Sorry.....I just had to. :D :D

Tim Kennelly
ASHampton

Post by ASHampton »

You know......it just might be!! I don't think it is though. I think last years was using a 2.8" LCD and this years is sporting the new and improved 5" touch screen LCD. I also think they shrunk some of the boards, added about some features and taken some away. Have been tweaking REDCODE as well. Had to totally rethink the potential heat and ventilation in such a small package.

If I look back at what the folks at RED have been able to do in what I think is a very short time. I am still very impressed. For example. Arri has the new Alexa, who, for $70,000+ will shoot up to 3.5K RAW. I am not sure if you have seen one up close but is a pretty good sized unit. When I compare the Vaporhardware Scarlet that is a 1/4 the size, will shoot 3k RAW (HDRx I hope!) at somewhere around 10-12,000. I don't mind waiting.

Let's also consider....Arri pushing out a product that has many many issues. I still don't mind RED taking a while longer to release Scarlet.

IMHO......since what the folks at RED seem to be doing IS super cutting edge....and they do not seem interested in selling something just for the sake of selling it. Is worth waiting for.

Maybe if I get one in the next few years, I can send you a picture of it!

Come on Vaporhardware! (I mean Scarlet!) :lol:
Seth Hampton
Tundra Video LLC
www.tundravideo.com
seth@tundravideo.com