Scarlet

For all those great, but off-Casablanca-editing, topics
KeithWiggers
Casablanca Unit: Avio & Solitaire, most software, OS8.1, Arabesk 4

Re: Scarlet

Post by KeithWiggers »

Hmmmm, I wonder what we would call the Boeng 787? Is that a "Vapor plane"? It does leave a vapor trail :roll:

It certainly is a big hunk of hardware, so maybe "vapor hardware" would be appropriate.

I have seen almost life sized billboards in other countries advertising that their [tiny] national airlines will "soon be the proud owners of the Dreamliner". Unfortunately some of those ads are over two years old now and fading.

It is a nice looking plane, and I expect one that will be very popular once qualified to fly commercially. I have seen it fly a few times (I live about 40 miles north of the assembly plant).

Talk about a huge problem for a manufacturer! Delays don't happen just in the video business. Putting out some products prematurely have different consequences.

Keith
ASHampton
Casablanca Unit: Loaded Dealer unit

Post by ASHampton »

A 4K film scan has measured resolution of about 2.8K for fast film (ISO 500) and about 3.2K for slow film (ISO 100). We do believe that 3K of measured resolution will scale to a 4K delivery with no problems. 3K of measured resolution is 256% greater than 1080P (3072 x 1728 = 5308416 vs. 1920 x 1080 = 2073600)
From RED's Founder.

Like I said before....the Kool-Aid is starting to smell really good! The more i tinker with REDCINE-X and the raw R3D files....I am starting to believe that 1080p just isn't going to "cut-the mustard" in the future. I am more stoked than ever to one day have one of these cameras.

I have played around some with some ProRes files in the Casablanca. Maybe Roger S. can provide some insight on this as well. But....if raw R3D files were captured then color timed/graded in REDCINE-X if a person wanted to ...you could then transcode and downres to 1080p ProRes 4:2:2 you could then ingest into an S-6000 and edit as normal.

I am sure that there will be some folks that are in total disagreement with me on this subject...but heck...thats cool with me. I also realize that most folks will not run out and spend $$$ on this type of equipment...thats cool too! I just find myself always trying to look as far down the road as I can to try and get a peek at what is around the bend. As far as I am concerned....RED is it!

My 2 cents.
Seth Hampton
Casablanca Gold Star Dealer
Tundra Video LLC
www.tundravideo.com
seth@tundravideo.com
SYLRENAUD
Casablanca Unit: 2/S4100 1/S6000 Bogart SE 5, Arabesk 5
most all of the software on all 3 units.
We shoot everything with HDSLR's.
Four Canon 5d mark II and one 7d.

Post by SYLRENAUD »

3K of measured resolution is 256% greater than 1080P (3072 x 1728 = 5308416 vs. 1920 x 1080 = 2073600) !!! LOL
Count me in Seth :P I'm very happy with the XF300 but if it makes sense financially to upgrade then its a no brainer !
Dude I am willing to wait it out... tks for the info Bra !
SYLRENAUD
Casablanca Unit: 2/S4100 1/S6000 Bogart SE 5, Arabesk 5
most all of the software on all 3 units.
We shoot everything with HDSLR's.
Four Canon 5d mark II and one 7d.

Post by SYLRENAUD »

Volker
Casablanca Unit: equipment: Sony HDR-XR520, Sony RX10, GoPro Hero1, Actionpro X7, Canon Ixus 70, 2xEnterprise MAX with Bogart SE 5/6, Samsung 42" FullHD LCD, Samsung 22" DVI Monitor, Samsung 22" HDMI TV Monitor

Post by Volker »

a very nice "toy" :lol:
Volker Hill - Germany
ASHampton
Casablanca Unit: Loaded Dealer unit

Post by ASHampton »

Here is a great quote from a very prominent colorist, Kevin Shaw. I find this to be a short and sweet read. Feel free to replace "colorist" with videographer/editor.
Hitting the Wall

Most colorists have had a marathon session at some time. By marathon I mean very, very long (30 hours is my personal record!) or very, very challenging, which is often even tougher. However, I have found that all colorists at some stage in their career, also hit the infamous “wall” just like every marathon runner. The symptoms are a loss of enthusiasm, repetition, stagnation, complacency and resistance to change. The cause is usually too much time spent on the same equipment, in the same facility and often on the same type of jobs. The pattern is compounded when such a colorist is unable to attract new clients and therefore also works with the same clients

Maybe I am exaggerating slightly, but I do firmly believe that we (colorists) need to be pro-active in continually developing our techniques and looks. Our industry and much of the kit that we use are undergoing such rapid changes that we need to be on the crest of the wave and work hard to stay there if we are to compete.
Enter RED Scarlet.

Again.....my 2 cents
Seth Hampton
Casablanca Gold Star Dealer
Tundra Video LLC
www.tundravideo.com
seth@tundravideo.com