Casablanca High-End Broadcast Model

For all those great, but off-Casablanca-editing, topics
jeffphilips
Casablanca Unit: Renomee Plus, SE 7

Re: Casablanca High-End Broadcast Model

Post by jeffphilips »

Franklin,
That was always my concern as well. But I have several colleagues that switched from the cassie to either FC and Adobe. They all figured it out. I don't know what kind of support you have if you decide to switch, but if I switch, I have plenty of support.
I hope Seth can call me.
Jeff Philips
In Focus Studios
Raleigh/Durham
North Carolina
Cassie user since 1999
Franklinbencosme
Casablanca Unit: B4 WINDOWS main edit system S-6000 as BACKUP and old tapes edit

Post by Franklinbencosme »

Thans Jeff for your fast respond, feel free to e-mail
me for any comments ! :D
SYLRENAUD
Casablanca Unit: 2/S4100 1/S6000 Bogart SE 5, Arabesk 5
most all of the software on all 3 units.
We shoot everything with HDSLR's.
Four Canon 5d mark II and one 7d.

Post by SYLRENAUD »

I agree with Seth the more tools in your box the better !
I myself want to learn parts of FCP & After Effects to complement my S-4100's
2 weeks ago I had a industry colleague who uses FCP look at our system.
He WAS amazed by the simplicity & the ability to edit very fast :)
BUT when you want to take your game to the next level our machines are very limited.

So here is to learning other platforms & using ours to create even better productions !
ASHampton
Casablanca Unit: Loaded Dealer unit

Post by ASHampton »

I also have shown serious FCP users the Cassies. All are very impressed with the ease of use and shallow learning curve. When you get down to the brass tacks......Cutting video is cutting video. Lets take Premiere Pro for instance. Adobe offers many "tools" to get the job done. If you are cutting video you would use PP, if you need to create still graphics you would use PS, is you need motion graphics you will use AE and so on and so on. The titler in FCP SUCKS! That is why they created Live Type.

Each app was designed to really excel in a specific arena. If you ask Adobe users....they do not use one app for everything. Just like we don't. I would not use Avid Media Composer to edit audio, I would use Avid Pro Tools. I hope everyone can see where I am going with this.

There is not a "one size fits all" piece of software! Take time to look at how many video players/converters that we all probably have installed on our PC or Mac.

Syl and others are correct in that.....in some cases the cassie is "behind" the competition. BUT....step back and watch....how much more efficient our work flow is compared to the competitions!

I guess we could all talk about this forever. And these are just my opinions.
Seth Hampton
Casablanca Gold Star Dealer
Tundra Video LLC
www.tundravideo.com
seth@tundravideo.com
ChrisStone
Casablanca Unit: Renommee Plus w/SE8 and all software

Post by ChrisStone »

I still use my Reno+ for the occasional edit, but I have to say I prefer my Adobe CS5 suite. I can have Premiere, Photoshop Extended and After affects all open at the same time and just use whats call the "dynamic link" to jump between programs. It is more complex but once you get the hang of it, the work flow is much better IMO.

If you migrate to a non cassie NLE I'd highly recommend getting a subscription to http://www.lynda.com Its the best 250 bucks a year you'll spend for training (other than the March Get Together of course!) You can learn a program from start to finish, or just do a quick search on a particular effect or technique. I use it almost every day and it has made the learning curve much shorter.
Chris Stone
Etched In Stone Video Productions
Renommee + SE9, All software, Panasonic AF100 Panasonic AG-160,
Adobe Production Suite CS6
Member # 5
ASHampton
Casablanca Unit: Loaded Dealer unit

Post by ASHampton »

Yep "round tripping" is the only way to go. Lynda is great! I have been a member for years.
Seth Hampton
Casablanca Gold Star Dealer
Tundra Video LLC
www.tundravideo.com
seth@tundravideo.com
jeffphilips

Post by jeffphilips »

Chris,
When did you make the switch? What was your reasoning?
Jeff Philips
In Focus Studios
Raleigh/Durham
North Carolina
Cassie user since 1999
JBrooks
Casablanca Unit: Casablanca 4 Studio Pro Ultra, Panasonic AG-DVX200 HD/4K Camera, GoPro Hero 2 and Hero 4 Black, Sony and Azden UHF Wireless Mics, Manfrotto 509 HD Pro Tripods, LitePanel Pro Camera Light, iKan 508B LED Portable Light kits.

Post by JBrooks »

I will not be making any switch to another NLE system as long as the Casablanca systems are manufactured and exist. Hopefully, now that MS Germany has capital to work with, they will listen to us users and continue to upgrade and create new systems and software versions.

Joel
Joel Brooks
MIT Video Productions
Macrosystem Americas Dealer
www.mitvideoproductions.com
jbrooks@mitvideoproductions.com
817-771-8347
jeffphilips

Post by jeffphilips »

While I want to remain hopeful Joel, I just spoke with Seth and he said unlike Adobe and FC, MS does not have the money to give us the support we expect.
Jeff Philips
In Focus Studios
Raleigh/Durham
North Carolina
Cassie user since 1999
JBrooks
Casablanca Unit: Casablanca 4 Studio Pro Ultra, Panasonic AG-DVX200 HD/4K Camera, GoPro Hero 2 and Hero 4 Black, Sony and Azden UHF Wireless Mics, Manfrotto 509 HD Pro Tripods, LitePanel Pro Camera Light, iKan 508B LED Portable Light kits.

Post by JBrooks »

As a long time user of Casablanca, the company seems to be making progress with new features in Bogart 4 on the horizon such as the ability to have Arabesk background rendering of some type, and more alpha channel support, (one of the features I have under the suggestions list which should be updated from everyone using Casablanca). If MS were not moving forward, then the new S-3000 and S-6000 would not have just come out. So as many of you know, I will stand by MS as long as they exist and I will play a part in helping market the product in which many people in the industry have never heard of. I agree, MS needs to correct a few more issues ( such as QuadCam and Downconvert which I think is being addressed) I would really like to see the features that many of you want as well.

Joel
Joel Brooks
MIT Video Productions
Macrosystem Americas Dealer
www.mitvideoproductions.com
jbrooks@mitvideoproductions.com
817-771-8347