Green People

For all those great, but off-Casablanca-editing, topics
methuenbill
Casablanca Unit: Casablanca Studio Pro (unable to use with latest software) The old reliable S6000 still working and using till Studio Pro works. Avio DVD, IMac, Panasonic AG-AC30, 3 Panasonic AG-UG90 last Bogart software and Arabesk release

Green People

Post by methuenbill »

I shot a video in a gym and the people look green. What type of lighting causes this and how do you fix it In the camera or after?
BobFoster
Casablanca Unit: Foster, Georgia video Productions, Inc
Bishop, GA Karat X2, Bogart 5.6
Most all software, 2X Sony HVR-NX3 Sony HVR-A1U, Sony PD-170/150, Sony HVR Z5U, 3 - Canopus ADVC500 converter, 2 x HXR-NX3 Sony Cameras

Re: Green People

Post by BobFoster »

One thing that can cause a green tint is the type of lighting in the venue. The easiest way to avoid the greenies is to use a white balance card designed for white balancing under fluorescent lights. White balance can be achieved in post by finding a white object in the scene and using "White balance" in the "image processing" screen. Takes quite a while if you have a lot of video to process. Another possibility is your camera has a malfunction and is not using enough red to compensate for a true color. If you are using more than one camera and the other is OK, probably a camera problem. If both have a green tint, then the light source is probably the problem.
ChrisStone
Casablanca Unit: Renommee Plus w/SE8 and all software

Post by ChrisStone »

Florescent lights will often make your subjects look green. If you don't have your own light kit then the best thing to do is properly white balance the camera before shooting. In post production you will have to color correct using "Control Color" and/or the "White Balance" effects.
Chris Stone
Etched In Stone Video Productions
Renommee + SE9, All software, Panasonic AF100 Panasonic AG-160,
Adobe Production Suite CS6
Member # 5
CKNewman
Casablanca Unit: Windows computer with Bogart SE 13.3, Arabesk 7, Audio Effects Pack v1.2b, Motion 3D XL-1 Pack 1, Sentry HD-Backup, Disk Juggler, Power Key, Aspector, Chromit, Effects Pack 8, Effect Pack 9, PiP Studio 3, Time-X, Ultimate Spice Box HD, Slivers, PIP Studio 4 ; Older windows computer with Bogart 8.4, Arabesk 7; Kron Plus with SE 8.3, most Generation 2 software except for CB Paint, Columbus, titling add-ons, and graphics symbols. Various TVs and a Kenner Give-A-Show Projector

Post by CKNewman »

You know, not so long ago you wouldn't dare say you were "seeing little green men...." (Please forgive me, I couldn't resist :roll: )

White balance can be a really tricky thing under artificial light. I know sodium vapor lights can be a problem. The camera's automatic white balance just won't work under certain circumstances. If you had your camera set for incandescent or 3200K and then shot under fluorescent light the image would be pushed even more towards green. As Bob and Chris suggested, you can use the Cassie's software to perform color correction. I've had more luck with Color Balance than White Balance but YMMV.
Craig Newman