3/4" U-Matic videotape dubbing

For all those great, but off-Casablanca-editing, topics
MikeMattke
Casablanca Unit: S2000 with all software. I also have a Prestige that I used on my film transfer station. I have B4W loaded on a laptop. I have a S4000 Pro that I am going to trade in for a discount on software for my B4W setup. I even have my first Cassie, the AVIO that I am going to hook up. Not sure what I will use it for but I want to see it run again.

3/4" U-Matic videotape dubbing

Post by MikeMattke »

I found a couple of old 3/4" masters and I want to have them dubbed to DVD or miniDV. Does anyone have or know of anyone that has one of these old machines around? The Sony VO-5800 series of machines was a workhorse and made up my first Cuts-only editing system.
Mike Mattke
"Father of the Casablanca Cafe"
Sturgeon Bay, WI
erictom
Casablanca Unit: S-4000 Pro
SONY HVR Z1U
SONY HVRM25U
SONY HVR DR60 HDRecorder
Canon T2i
Lite Panels

Re: 3/4" U-Matic videotape dubbing

Post by erictom »

You can go to a Dub House and have it duplicated for about $50 or Buy a DVD recorder and use to to transfer old SVHS masters for clients. There is a budding business for this service and I have contacted old clients and have found instant interests (for those who are still married :) ) You can earn as much as $100 per DVD.

Try these SONY Direct Recorders (Has composite I/O for old VCRs or SVHS. Also takes USB/Firewire for more recent hardware).
Model VBD-MA1 (Blu-Ray capable)
Model VRD-M66 (DVD only)

Good luck.

Eric
Eric T. Films
VideoVision Productions
www.vdvp.com
eric@vdvp.com
Wayne
Casablanca Unit: S4000Pro, Bogart 2.0C, Akaba, Audio fx, Ori Pack, Blue Box, 3D Shapes, Liquid Images, Shopw Options, PiP studio, Quad Cam, Photo Transfer, Surround FX1, Arabesk 4e, Blue Box World, Candy Factory, Motion Perfect, Filter Pack 1, FX 2 4 6, Magic Lights, Photo Studio 2, PiP 3D SpliotX Wedding
Steady Hand, Power Key, VGA Options, Object Tracer, Video Taste Box

Post by Wayne »

I have a lot of old media equipment including 3/4" U-Matic, Beta, regular/Hi8, plus audio equipment ranging from cylinder and wire through 15IPS 1/2 track machines. There is also equipment for playing any audio disc format ever made, so, yes I can transfer your tape to digital tape or DVD.
If iterested you can reply directly at provideowayne@hotmail.com
flvideo
Casablanca Unit: Bogart 6.1 for windows, Renommee, Avio pro, and a cassie classic
2 Sony PD170s, 2 panasonic dvx100s, 1 JVC DV300, 1 sony DCRhc42
1 panasonicpvGS120

Post by flvideo »

Mike I have a old Sony VO4800 that you can have for the postage if you want. It hasn't been used in years and I don't have good batteries or a power supply but you are welcome to it if you'd like. Bob...
BobFoster
Casablanca Unit: Foster, Georgia video Productions, Inc
Bishop, GA Karat X2, Bogart 5.6
Most all software, 2X Sony HVR-NX3 Sony HVR-A1U, Sony PD-170/150, Sony HVR Z5U, 3 - Canopus ADVC500 converter, 2 x HXR-NX3 Sony Cameras

Post by BobFoster »

4800 portable UMatics only accepted the small 20 min tapes. The 5800s were for for large and small cassettes.
MikeMattke
Casablanca Unit: S2000 with all software. I also have a Prestige that I used on my film transfer station. I have B4W loaded on a laptop. I have a S4000 Pro that I am going to trade in for a discount on software for my B4W setup. I even have my first Cassie, the AVIO that I am going to hook up. Not sure what I will use it for but I want to see it run again.

Post by MikeMattke »

I used to use the 4800 so I knew they only handle the small tape. A nice deck in its day but I would be looking for a functional 5800 or 5850 if I wanted to do it myself.

I got a response through Chet Davis from a guy in Florida. I sent my tapes there and am awaiting their return. It was a bit spendy but I will wait until I see the result to pass final judgement. I guess the masters were in tough shape and required some TLC to complete the dubs. A good lesson to pass on that tapes do not hold up forever and a good advertisement for converting VHS before its too late.
Mike Mattke
"Father of the Casablanca Cafe"
Sturgeon Bay, WI
flvideo
Casablanca Unit: Bogart 6.1 for windows, Renommee, Avio pro, and a cassie classic
2 Sony PD170s, 2 panasonic dvx100s, 1 JVC DV300, 1 sony DCRhc42
1 panasonicpvGS120

Post by flvideo »

i am glad you found some one to convert your tapes. The 4800 was an old work horse but its a boat anchor for most purposes now. I still have some old masters in u-matic but I don't think I'll ever have a need for them. I have a mountain of stuff on vhs and Svhs. I really need to put it all on DVD but Most I probably will never get around to it.