Split microphone to camcorder and telephone???

For all those great, but off-Casablanca-editing, topics
johnneumann
Casablanca Unit: Kron

Split microphone to camcorder and telephone???

Post by johnneumann »

Hi, everyone. I've got a very unusual video project coming up and I have no idea how to set this up. Can anyone help?

I'm going to do a series of telephone conference calls and I want to simultaneously do the phone call *plus* also videotape myself doing the calls so I have access to the talk later on video. (No one else will be speaking, just me ... no need to record anyone else on the line.)

I don't want to be holding a phone or wearing a phone headset during the call, as it will look weird on the video. I also don't want to use a speaker-phone as they create a poor quality sound for folks on the other end. What I would really like to do is wear my lapel mic and somehow have the signal go into both my camcorder (PD-150) as well as the telephone ... but I've never heard of hooking a microphone into a telephone as well as simultaneously recording the same signal to camcorder.

Can this be done? How can I use a microphone to both video the talk as well as simultaneously plug into a telephone for folks to listen in?

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

-John Neumann

ps. Spent the last hour googling every permutation of microphone splitter, line splitter, etc ... came up with nothing.
BobFoster
Casablanca Unit: Foster, Georgia video Productions, Inc
Bishop, GA Karat X2, Bogart 5.6
Most all software, 2X Sony HVR-NX3 Sony HVR-A1U, Sony PD-170/150, Sony HVR Z5U, 3 - Canopus ADVC500 converter, 2 x HXR-NX3 Sony Cameras

Re: Split microphone to camcorder and telephone???

Post by BobFoster »

"Gentner" makes a variety of phone interfaces that will do what you want. Just Google; Gentner telephone interface.
Bob F.
johnneumann
Casablanca Unit: Kron

Re: Split microphone to camcorder and telephone???

Post by johnneumann »

Thank you, Bob! I've never heard of Gentner ... I wonder where you get this inside information? :mrgreen:

I looked at some of the products. I had no idea what I was looking at with this project. $1100 for an audio to phone interface? Yikes!

I was picturing a six dollar adapter that has an 1/8" on one side and a phone plug on the other.

I'm definitely going to look through their whole catalog though. Their promo definitely spoke straight to what I'm trying to accomplish.

Thanks again.

-JOHN