DVI to HDMI Audio

For all those great, but off-Casablanca-editing, topics
robcast1
Casablanca Unit: I currently am using two of the S-4000 pro and I also have a Prestige plus unit that I use.

DVI to HDMI Audio

Post by robcast1 »

I just switched from using S-video and RCA audio to DMI to HDMI. Does anyone know why I do not or can not get audio from my S-4000 DMI output for picture and using the RCA composite for audio to my monitor using and can not get sound?
I have tired everything, I think!
Can anyone help with this? Thanks...

Rob C
CasablancaExpert
Casablanca Unit: S3000, S4000 PRO, Renommee Plus

Re: DVI to HDMI Audio

Post by CasablancaExpert »

It looks like you are aware but for anyone else reading this thread - DVI carries only the digital video signal, while HDMI carries both the digital video and the audio. So, when using a DVI connector you must also connect cabling to carry the audio to your monitor/device.

Where it gets 'tricky' at times is that some TV monitors have a confusing set-up in their menu to allow for video to come via a different port than the audio. You have to consult your monitor manual for detailed instructions -- I believe in some of the early flat panel HD TVs it was not even possible to bring in video to the HD port and then audio separately into a different analog audio port. Again - check the manual for your TV. The remedy in any case is to bring your audio into a separate component - like a stereo receiver connected to speakers or a speaker bar attached to a monitor.

Hope that helps!

Regards,
Chet
Chet Davis
the Casablanca Expert
chet@chetdavis.com
http://www.CasablancaExpert.com
robcast1
Casablanca Unit: I currently am using two of the S-4000 pro and I also have a Prestige plus unit that I use.

Post by robcast1 »

Thank you Chet,

That is exactly what I had to do and frankly the sound is much better then the tv monitor. I went out to purchase a seperate audio component and it is all good now, thank you much for replying. I do have a question, when I send my unit back to MSUS am I able to have the Blu Ray burner and writer installed am I able to have HDMI installed?

Thank you, Rob Castiglia
CasablancaExpert
Casablanca Unit: S3000, S4000 PRO, Renommee Plus

Post by CasablancaExpert »

You are welcome Rob! I should let MSUS give you the official answer to that question but I believe the reply would be a no - as the HDMI connector is/was not part of the S4000/PRO design. They may have a modification but I believe those of us with the S4000/PRO need to live with the DVI port -- as you may know, you can purchase an adapter that will take your DVI video and the audio from the SPDIF port on your S4000/PRO and the other end of the adapater is an HDMI connector. I have no first-hand knowledge or experience with this adapter but know there are a bunch to choose from (I also have an S3000 with the HDMI).

Regards,
Chet
Chet Davis
the Casablanca Expert
chet@chetdavis.com
http://www.CasablancaExpert.com
robcast1

Post by robcast1 »

Graet and Thank you...Now I just have to figure out why my import via firewire 4 pin to six pin stops and freezes on both machines. I am going crazy, lol....Rob