Slides & more slides

For all those great, but off-Casablanca-editing, topics
BobFoster
Casablanca Unit: Foster, Georgia video Productions, Inc
Bishop, GA Karat X2, Bogart 5.6
Most all software, 2X Sony HVR-NX3 Sony HVR-A1U, Sony PD-170/150, Sony HVR Z5U, 3 - Canopus ADVC500 converter, 2 x HXR-NX3 Sony Cameras

Slides & more slides

Post by BobFoster »

I had forgotten how great good slides look on video compared to SD video and 8 mm film. The contrast, tonal variation, resolution and consistent white balance is awsome. One of my customers backed her SUV up to my door and the rear was full of carousel boxes. 37 boxes of 140 slides each. Over 5,000 slides. It makes almost want to throw away my video cameras and shoot entirely on film.
stonepatterson
Casablanca Unit: S6000 (40 software pkgs. from AkabaHD to Twixter) 2 OLD firewire Casablanca Classics (fully-loaded). Hoping eventually for the perfect camera (sometime before I die of old age). Sony 96GB HDR-PJ790. Several lighting & audio recording systems. A very old, 2006 MacPro tower 4TB hard drive & 30GB memory. More LCD monitors, TVs, tripods and misc. equipment then I want to admit to.

Re: Slides & more slides

Post by stonepatterson »

I just got done with several boxes of Ektachrome and Kodachrome slides... They had mold, dust and all sort of crud... did high-res scans, then cleaned 'em on photoshop, manually on a MacPro with a very large 27" LED HD monitor... was a real nightmare to say the least. Took forever. But after the cleaning and the transfer to 1080 and BluRay... was very pretty. Color was rich. Sharp image. But I would never go back to film, I had a filmo with turret lens (Bell & Howell 16mm), back in the late 60's, and a Bolex 16 with a 200' mag in the early 70's and used seconds (all I could afford)... I prefer shooting DVcam (yes, I am financially dated). Hopefully, soon will shoot on an EX 3 -- BUT I will say, I am positive, I would NEVER want to go back to shooting 'film'.

Bob you are kidding right?
BobFoster
Casablanca Unit: Foster, Georgia video Productions, Inc
Bishop, GA Karat X2, Bogart 5.6
Most all software, 2X Sony HVR-NX3 Sony HVR-A1U, Sony PD-170/150, Sony HVR Z5U, 3 - Canopus ADVC500 converter, 2 x HXR-NX3 Sony Cameras

Re: Slides & more slides

Post by BobFoster »

As fantastic as it could be, there were a lot of Negatives (pun intended) to shooting film. Before video, I shot 35 and 16 mm film. My project was well preserved and required no special treatment. Secondly, the photographer knew what he was doing. His subject matter was mostly landscape and arcitectural subjects. Literally hundereds could have been enlarged to wall hangings. They were from probably more than 15 countries in various seasons. I almost felt guilty charging for the job. Almost, but not quite.