Mildew removal VHS tapes

For all those great, but off-Casablanca-editing, topics
BobFoster
Casablanca Unit: Foster, Georgia video Productions, Inc
Bishop, GA Karat X2, Bogart 5.6
Most all software, 2X Sony HVR-NX3 Sony HVR-A1U, Sony PD-170/150, Sony HVR Z5U, 3 - Canopus ADVC500 converter, 2 x HXR-NX3 Sony Cameras

Mildew removal VHS tapes

Post by BobFoster »

A customer brought me 30 VHS tapes to transfer to DVD. All have mildew damage from the size of a thumb tack to a quarter on the visible side of the cassette. The only company that I have found on the internet that still specializes in mildew removal is located in Australia. I am not interested in a DYI mildew project. Can anyone recommend a provider for this service??? Thanks.
methuenbill
Casablanca Unit: Casablanca Studio Pro (unable to use with latest software) The old reliable S6000 still working and using till Studio Pro works. Avio DVD, IMac, Panasonic AG-AC30, 3 Panasonic AG-UG90 last Bogart software and Arabesk release

Re: Mildew removal VHS tapes

Post by methuenbill »

I have the same problem with mold on tapes. I bought a rewinder with a cleaning head. I ran one tape through it and the unit died. I ran one tape in an old vcr and the heads got all clogged and the tape got stuck. I hope there is a way to clean the mold. I also have about 20 tapes to do.
BobFoster
Casablanca Unit: Foster, Georgia video Productions, Inc
Bishop, GA Karat X2, Bogart 5.6
Most all software, 2X Sony HVR-NX3 Sony HVR-A1U, Sony PD-170/150, Sony HVR Z5U, 3 - Canopus ADVC500 converter, 2 x HXR-NX3 Sony Cameras

Re: Mildew removal VHS tapes

Post by BobFoster »

I just got a response From Todd Monnin, a member of the Carroll Lam's forum. He is a Casablanca user and went through the Katrina hurricane. He has the equipment and a lot of experience since in restoring VHS tapes. Here is his contact information: Email me offlist (vidspec@bellsouth.net) or call my cell 985-640-0143 for more details.

Todd Monnin
Video Specialties
Slidell LA