lip sync observations FYI

For all those great, but off-Casablanca-editing, topics
BobFoster
Casablanca Unit: Foster, Georgia video Productions, Inc
Bishop, GA Karat X2, Bogart 5.6
Most all software, 2X Sony HVR-NX3 Sony HVR-A1U, Sony PD-170/150, Sony HVR Z5U, 3 - Canopus ADVC500 converter, 2 x HXR-NX3 Sony Cameras

lip sync observations FYI

Post by BobFoster »

I thought I would pass this on for whatever it's worth. First, all of my productions are SD long format. i.e. 1.5 - 2.25 hours each scene. All are recorded as one continuous scene and then later cut into smaller segments for title graphics etc. My observation has been that when I record via S-video in and audio RCA audio in. I will get hit and miss lip sync. When recording four long scenes all in the same day without shutting down the Karat, the odds are that one of the 4 will have lip sync issues over the length of the scene. Not consistent results. There will be sudden jumps at different intervals. Usually 2 - 4 frames at each jump.

When I feed the video/audio into a Canopus converter and change the analog signals into "locked" audio with the video, and firewire into the Karat, I never have lip sync problems.
Part of the time my source video/audio files are DV digital tape. I don't believe the DV tapes use "locked"audio. The results are the same. Using analog inputs to the Karat will result in lost lip sync part of the time. There is no rhyme or reason why it is OK sometimes and not other times. These observations have been taken over a period of over 300 long format scenes.

You ask, "Well why don't you just use the firewire input all of the time?" Good question. Some times, the supplied tapes could use some tweaking on the brightness and/or contrast and that has to be done in either analog mode while transferring or in the "video processing" after it has been loaded. Much quicker to do it during the loading process. Note: Karat is using latest available OS software. Analog source is used with Karat on site because of multiple cameras and VGA signals switched thru an analog video switcher.
Charles
Casablanca Unit: S6000 Effects 1,2,3,5,7,8 Blue Box World,
Arabesk 6.0a , Bogart 5.5c Disc Transfer 1.2

Re: lip sync observations FYI

Post by Charles »

I reported this bug in the German forum and the work round given was to import using Media Manager then back into Bogart works every time but for some reason not in the USA no mention of a fix in the latest updates
Regards
Charles