Small camera

For all those great, but off-Casablanca-editing, topics
BobC
Casablanca Unit: Meteor Pro Ultra, OS 10, Arabesk 7

Small camera

Post by BobC »

I need a small camera that I can lock down and mount to a balcony rail. I want to use it for a wide shot of the stage for shows. We can then shoot the main cameras (usually panasonic 130s). This would be mostly a cutaway shot used only sporadically, but will allow us the ability to take whatever positions are open (based on seating) to shoot the other cameras and yet, still have a safe wide shot. I have even been thinking about the GoPro for this. Does anybody have a recommendation?
Bob Claxton
Heritage Video

Meteor Pro Ultra, OS 10, Arabesk 7
BobC
Casablanca Unit: Meteor Pro Ultra, OS 10, Arabesk 7

Re: Small camera

Post by BobC »

Let me explain further. This is a a small theater where we shoot 15 to 20 events a year. Naturally, we like shooting from the front row of the balcony because we can get the best view of the stage. However, if the balcony is full, we are blocking a lot of people who have bought tickets to see the show. So I am looking for a way to mount a small camera to the railing that will get us that good full view of the stage. We can then shoot the cameras we are manning from the far corners, if need be. Every show is different as to where the best camera placements are, but you always need the front center one. Will a GoPro work here? Does the image look good enough? Do the batteries last long enough for a sometimes 3 hour show?
Bob Claxton
Heritage Video

Meteor Pro Ultra, OS 10, Arabesk 7
Volker
Casablanca Unit: equipment: Sony HDR-XR520, Sony RX10, GoPro Hero1, Actionpro X7, Canon Ixus 70, 2xEnterprise MAX with Bogart SE 5/6, Samsung 42" FullHD LCD, Samsung 22" DVI Monitor, Samsung 22" HDMI TV Monitor

Post by Volker »

Hi,
I have the GoPro Hero 1 and the Actionpro X7.
The Actionpro has almost the same hardware as the GoPro Hero 3+ but it is much cheaper.
The battery of the GoPro 1 lasts for approx. 3-4 hours. The batteries of the new cameras do not last so long (maybe 2 hours) - depending on various settings.
I like the Actionpro x7 a lot and I think it will do a good job for your purpose.
http://www.actionpro.de/en/newx7/

By the way, the footage can be loaded into Bogart via the standard record window.

Volker
Volker Hill - Germany
CKNewman
Casablanca Unit: Windows computer with Bogart SE 13.3, Arabesk 7, Audio Effects Pack v1.2b, Motion 3D XL-1 Pack 1, Sentry HD-Backup, Disk Juggler, Power Key, Aspector, Chromit, Effects Pack 8, Effect Pack 9, PiP Studio 3, Time-X, Ultimate Spice Box HD, Slivers, PIP Studio 4 ; Older windows computer with Bogart 8.4, Arabesk 7; Kron Plus with SE 8.3, most Generation 2 software except for CB Paint, Columbus, titling add-ons, and graphics symbols. Various TVs and a Kenner Give-A-Show Projector

Post by CKNewman »

Hi Bob,

I would take a look at the small Sony camcorders like the CX-160. I don't know what the model numbers are up to now. You won't be zooming so a larger battery will probably work - but you'll have to check on that. I have a friend that cuts footage from it with footage from his professional cameras. I think you will need a camera with fast auto iris and good low-light capability. The Go Pro is a good camera for action, but I think the lens distortion might not give you what you're looking for. Let us know what you decide!
Craig Newman
LouBruno
Casablanca Unit: STUDIO ULTRA ,SAPHIR, MS TRAVEL ..with ALL SOFTWARE, Cassie Travel Laptop PRO- Bogart Windows, MSI APACHE laptop with BOGART and all Current BOGART & Arabesk. Saphir 2.
GLIDECAM HD-2000, I-Pad latest, Sony HX-99..4K still camera

SONY FDR-53 4K,
, SONY FDR AX-700 HDR 4K video camera, GoPro HD2&3, SONY HDR-CX150 small HD pocket camera, SONY AX-53. Panasonic HC-20

Two Samsung BD D5700 Blu-ray players. OPPO 4K player.
JVC DT-V20L1 HDV monitor, All Music2Hues and Digital Hotcakes, Nikon D-80 still camera, NIKON D7100 HDSLR 18-300mm lens, D500 Nikon, 10 professional bicycles, two camels and a donkey :-) ........ Gocycle@gmail.com

Post by LouBruno »

AG-AC 90 by Panasonic matches perfectly.