Transfer tape from Camcorder to Computer

For all those great, but off-Casablanca-editing, topics
Victormeuch
Casablanca Unit: Bogart S4000pro

Transfer tape from Camcorder to Computer

Post by Victormeuch »

Sony HVR-Z5u is my camcorder from which I need to transfer a tape to my desktop computer. My Bogart has died, and I am in desperate need of getting a tape edited. Do any of you out there in Cassieland know how to connect from this camera to a computer? I wrote to Sony Support and was told to get an ordinary firewire to USB cable at any retail store and that will work. NOT TRUE. My computer does not recognize input. If you have experience with this PLEASE contact me directly at Vmeuch@yahoo.com. ASAP, I am running out of time for my deadline and no-one knows how to help me.
Thank you, Victor from northern Illinois.
BobFoster
Casablanca Unit: Foster, Georgia video Productions, Inc
Bishop, GA Karat X2, Bogart 5.6
Most all software, 2X Sony HVR-NX3 Sony HVR-A1U, Sony PD-170/150, Sony HVR Z5U, 3 - Canopus ADVC500 converter, 2 x HXR-NX3 Sony Cameras

Re: Transfer tape from Camcorder to Computer

Post by BobFoster »

Since you didn’t identify your computer, my only recommendation would be to get access to a DV/minidv deck and use the outputs to access your computer. You would probably have more output options.
Franklinbencosme
Casablanca Unit: B4 WINDOWS main edit system S-6000 as BACKUP and old tapes edit

Post by Franklinbencosme »

Here is your solution........https://www.amazon.com/REDGO-Video-Capt ... 198&sr=8-7

Is easy if you don't need no FIREWIRE connection,remember Z5 has a S-VIDEO cable output solution.

Good Luck
stonepatterson
Casablanca Unit: S6000 (40 software pkgs. from AkabaHD to Twixter) 2 OLD firewire Casablanca Classics (fully-loaded). Hoping eventually for the perfect camera (sometime before I die of old age). Sony 96GB HDR-PJ790. Several lighting & audio recording systems. A very old, 2006 MacPro tower 4TB hard drive & 30GB memory. More LCD monitors, TVs, tripods and misc. equipment then I want to admit to.

Post by stonepatterson »

I do not visit this forum often. But when I saw your question -- thought I would add my 2 cents. I have been using Cassies for 2 decades. Still using two still working 2000 Cassies (loaded) for downloading all formats (everything) pre HD (VHS, S-VHS, HI8, DVCAM). I also use some of the no-longer available software on those Cassies to create really cool effects on newer Macrosystem US systems (I do not love FCPX but also use in some situations like Apple Pro Res 422 HQ conversions -- takes forever & I wish it was a format within 4K Macrosystem Ultra(s)...). For film 8mm, Super8 & 16mm -- I have projectors to convert to HD or 4K. Thinking about buying a 8mm/super8 digital converter that does 30p. I also have a huge archive of sounds. I convert film/video, then add background audio(s) as needed eliminating the audio of the projector; creating (all sounds like water, children playing, city traffic, etc...), then add specific voice overs... AND narrative -- this is what you get - https://youtu.be/AC_9jc7-6zo
BUT, I had to keep 4 VHS players, all my source camera(s) in HI8, DVcam, etc. with decks AND projector(s) with ample supply of bulbs. But sowly... EVERYTHING ages even with care. In Germany there is a company that makes a 4.5 star digital transfer system/equipment, BUT it takes forever! Reflecta Film Scanner, Super 8/Normal 8 Projectors are a lot faster. Quality -- does not seem to be that different from comparing side by side. BUT you have to track down older equipment (and bulbs) -- even good VHS decks are getting hard to find since they stopped manufacturing them years ago. All this is called TECHNOLOGY! I love advancements... as 4K gives way to 8K -- but, the demand for high quality by today's standards we have become accustomed to does have a price when converting items from the past -- charge accordingly! And save old technology -- you may need it next week!