editing audio on 2 channels

For all questions & tips related to Casablanca video editors.
elliottsmith
Casablanca Unit: kron plus

editing audio on 2 channels

Post by elliottsmith »

Hi,
had some great help from Craig Newman on adjusting audio levels on both channels but am still struggling to find how to make it work. I have printed the advice given by Craig but am missing some important click.

I have a kron plus with smartedit 8 but cannot find how to adjust from editing section.
I have done a practice tape and recordered using the camera mike in one channel and the radio mike in the other.I can get them both to play but cannot split the sound to be to be able to raise or lower the level on each one. Help1 This is what happens when you try to be too technical when you are in your seventies.
Any help would be grateful.

Regards,

Dave
elliottsmith

BobFoster
Casablanca Unit: Foster, Georgia video Productions, Inc
Bishop, GA Karat X2, Bogart 5.6
Most all software, 2X Sony HVR-NX3 Sony HVR-A1U, Sony PD-170/150, Sony HVR Z5U, 3 - Canopus ADVC500 converter, 2 x HXR-NX3 Sony Cameras

Re: editing audio on 2 channels

Post by BobFoster »

In the audio edit window, you can put your curser in the middle of the audio graph and drag it left or right to highlight a segment and then use the volume control to raise or lower the audio level of that segment. You can also place the curser above or below the center and highlight just one channel. Then use the volume control slider to adjust just that one channel.
CKNewman
Casablanca Unit: Windows computer with Bogart SE 13.3, Arabesk 7, Audio Effects Pack v1.2b, Motion 3D XL-1 Pack 1, Sentry HD-Backup, Disk Juggler, Power Key, Aspector, Chromit, Effects Pack 8, Effect Pack 9, PiP Studio 3, Time-X, Ultimate Spice Box HD, Slivers, PIP Studio 4 ; Older windows computer with Bogart 8.4, Arabesk 7; Kron Plus with SE 8.3, most Generation 2 software except for CB Paint, Columbus, titling add-ons, and graphics symbols. Various TVs and a Kenner Give-A-Show Projector

Post by CKNewman »

Dave, I don't know how familiar you are with the Smart Edit interface or Casablanca editing in general. If you haven't done so already, I would suggest downloading the Smart Edit 7 manual along with the Smart Edit 8 supplement. Your profile doesn't say where you're from, perhaps its England because your camcorder has a UK model number.

There is a Casablanca dealership http://www.dalco.co.uk/index.html who may be able to help you via a telephone call with some questions.

I would highly recommend Chet Davis' three DVD training DVD on Smart Edit 8/Bogart 2 http://cassieexpert.live.subhub.com/store/products/11

You posted,
I have a kron plus with smartedit 8 but cannot find how to adjust from editing section.
Audio is edited in the Audio Record and Audio Mix screens, not the main Edit screen.
Craig Newman
elliottsmith

Post by elliottsmith »

thanks for your advice.regards,
dave
LouBruno
Casablanca Unit: STUDIO ULTRA ,SAPHIR, MS TRAVEL ..with ALL SOFTWARE, Cassie Travel Laptop PRO- Bogart Windows, MSI APACHE laptop with BOGART and all Current BOGART & Arabesk. Saphir 2.
GLIDECAM HD-2000, I-Pad latest, Sony HX-99..4K still camera

SONY FDR-53 4K,
, SONY FDR AX-700 HDR 4K video camera, GoPro HD2&3, SONY HDR-CX150 small HD pocket camera, SONY AX-53. Panasonic HC-20

Two Samsung BD D5700 Blu-ray players. OPPO 4K player.
JVC DT-V20L1 HDV monitor, All Music2Hues and Digital Hotcakes, Nikon D-80 still camera, NIKON D7100 HDSLR 18-300mm lens, D500 Nikon, 10 professional bicycles, two camels and a donkey :-) ........ Gocycle@gmail.com

Post by LouBruno »

Try to get an understanding of the audio envelope. Precise audio adjustment.
CKNewman
Casablanca Unit: Windows computer with Bogart SE 13.3, Arabesk 7, Audio Effects Pack v1.2b, Motion 3D XL-1 Pack 1, Sentry HD-Backup, Disk Juggler, Power Key, Aspector, Chromit, Effects Pack 8, Effect Pack 9, PiP Studio 3, Time-X, Ultimate Spice Box HD, Slivers, PIP Studio 4 ; Older windows computer with Bogart 8.4, Arabesk 7; Kron Plus with SE 8.3, most Generation 2 software except for CB Paint, Columbus, titling add-ons, and graphics symbols. Various TVs and a Kenner Give-A-Show Projector

Post by CKNewman »

Hi Dave,

I suggested using those resources because they illustrate and explain the features in Smart Edit 8, where they are, and how they work. Downloading the manual should be free. Chet's DVDs are indexed and authored so that you can navigate directly to the chapter that covers the topic you wish to learn more about. If a picture is worth a thousand words, then this video set is worth an Oxford's Dictionary! :D I own a copy myself and cannot recommend it highly enough. One more point here; the information in these traning video is still useful in understanding the software versions that are currently in use. If you should decide to move to the Casablanca Bogart editing platform at some point (now Bogart 8) you will find many similarities with the older Smart Edit interface.

Since you haven't mentioned how long you've been using the Kron with the Sony camcorder, I would also suggest that if you haven't done so, learn about how your camcorder should be set to work best with your editing software and the destination media. Try some tests that start with recording and end with a finished DVD - and of course watch that DVD in a player and television in another room. Let us know how you're coming along.
Craig Newman
MichaelD
Casablanca Unit: Saphir B4W v9, S4000 Pro Bogart v9, Arabesk v7, Render Booster, Canon HF100, Prestige SE v9.1.

Post by MichaelD »

As a test . . .

Get yourself into an empty project and have abut 20 seconds of your 'mixed' audio video in there.

Go to Special (in Edit) and Scene Sample - it's near the top. Nothing appears to happen but in you now look in Audio Record you'll have a 20 second Audio clip (with both your tracks on it still).

In there go into Special and use the Copy Channel "Left ~ Right" and it'll produce another audio clip with the left audio on it twice.

Apply Copy Channel "Right ~ Left" (to the ORIGINAL CLIP) and you'll now have a third track with the right audio on it twice.

In Audio Mix add these two tracks and Mute the original. You can now use either your left Audio or Right Audio independently of each other with either "envelope" or the old fashioned way, that still works, of using blocks of silence to affect other audio tracks.
LouBruno
Casablanca Unit: STUDIO ULTRA ,SAPHIR, MS TRAVEL ..with ALL SOFTWARE, Cassie Travel Laptop PRO- Bogart Windows, MSI APACHE laptop with BOGART and all Current BOGART & Arabesk. Saphir 2.
GLIDECAM HD-2000, I-Pad latest, Sony HX-99..4K still camera

SONY FDR-53 4K,
, SONY FDR AX-700 HDR 4K video camera, GoPro HD2&3, SONY HDR-CX150 small HD pocket camera, SONY AX-53. Panasonic HC-20

Two Samsung BD D5700 Blu-ray players. OPPO 4K player.
JVC DT-V20L1 HDV monitor, All Music2Hues and Digital Hotcakes, Nikon D-80 still camera, NIKON D7100 HDSLR 18-300mm lens, D500 Nikon, 10 professional bicycles, two camels and a donkey :-) ........ Gocycle@gmail.com

Post by LouBruno »

Perfect Michael.....worthy of printing and saving.