4K Pro owners.

For all questions & tips related to Casablanca video editors.
swisscasauser
Casablanca Unit: Solitaire+ Ultra (Bogart SE 4.5c/Arabesk 4.20) with Sony J-30 (BETA DIGIT/SX/SP/MPEG IMX)/DSR-45AP (DV/DVCAM)/HVR M25AE(HDV/DVCAM/DV) tapedecks...Shuttle barebone, Asus EeeBox, Eeepc
701 (all powered by LINUX) and many other things...

Re: 4K Pro owners.

Post by swisscasauser »

Hello

To Paulbusta, yesss I've a name :lol: my name's Vincent...and yes I've been using Casa machines since the very first days (I was an Amiga user too...).
It's my first post on the new Forum, I posted a few on the old one under the same nickname...
So thanks for your welcome.

I'm also a long time Linux OS user so I really was looking forward to the new Bogart based on Linux...but I must say that (for the moment) I'm a little bit disappointed by that OS. So many bugs...to be honest the V 2.1 is a little better...but there's still a lot to do!!!

And it's really annoying, especially for me, because I'm a professional, and I need stable, reliable devices from day one !
Right now, it's not the case at all...I'm facing so many problems. Fortunately, I'm strong enough with the computer things, so, most part of the time, I manage to solve my problems on my own (without forgetting to warn MS of course... ;) ) even complicated ones...Unfortunately I must say that MS (DE) are not as good as before (that's my opinion).

I think they have what I call the Macintosh syndrome! :lol:
It's a bit like Apple with Mac computers, they've replaced everything that made mac computers so special, reliable, efficient, and interesting to use...with cheap standard PC hardware components, and they're still making us pay a lot of money for that!

I agree with Shadowvision, I like that Media manager, but the way it works, which codec or compression is used to the transfers, for ex. between SE and the Media manager archives? It is a massive mystery...Is there a re-compression during that operation ? If so, I don't understand why technically...because it's easy to transcode from raw DV or MPEG2TS to other formats.

Well, in fact, when I say that I don't know how it works...it's not exactly that, but...I think I know (technically) why they've done 2 separate entities and why we have to transfer things between the two...and what I suspect is not really encouraging for the quality and the reliability of the system...to say the least... :(
Vincent
Switzerland
PaulBusta
Casablanca Unit: S4000Pro & Bogart V2.1e OS, with much software.

Post by PaulBusta »

Hi Vincent, thanks for your reply, sure sounds like you know a thing or three about computers, I have a G4. A friend of mine lives in Switzerland, he has an American muscle car called a Mercury Cougar and belongs to an American car car club over there but sadly we've drifted apart over the years. So if you ever see a American car car show advertised over there he will probably be there. Great to have you on the forum. :D
Paul Busta

P.A.B. Digital Video Productions
S4000Pro & Bogart V2.1e OS with much software.
Casablanca user since 1997.
ShadowVision
Casablanca Unit: AVIO DV SE 6; S4000Pro, DVX100; Sony HDV1000U; Sony HC9 with Letus mini and lenses, MacBook Pro

Post by ShadowVision »

So far I've cut several long projects and not noticed dropped frames. But I tried to run one 30 minute show to miniDV using my Sony HD1000U as a deck (it is now just about always in a deck position), I had a jump that made that capture of the show useless. It was like I had plugged and unplugged the camera during capture. Of course, the camera was connected by firewire the whole time, but this problem showed up during playback into my Mac for compression to the Internet.

Perhaps, that us your problem in reverse.
Jonathan W. Hickman
Author of THE TASTER