Another Bogart 2.3c caution: HDV to DV internal downconvert

For all questions & tips related to Casablanca video editors.
fmoorexx
Casablanca Unit: S4000Pro, Renommee and nearly all software

Re: Another Bogart 2.3c caution: HDV to DV internal downconvert

Post by fmoorexx »

Tim--

What a great resource this site is with mentors/supporters like you. Thanks so much. I have always dreaded a full destruct install, but with 1 TB external HDs at less than $100, this seems the absolutely right way to proceed.

Thanks, again.

--Frank
TimKennelly
Casablanca Unit: No Casablanca unit currently.

Post by TimKennelly »

Frank,

I use this to connect bare hard drives to the S4P, works great, easy switching, helps the unit stay cooler being open to the air as well.

http://tinyurl.com/harddrivedock

There are tons of places to pick up drives, but here is a 1TB Hitachi drive that will work for only $70.
http://tinyurl.com/1tbhitachi
My mom always told me that happiness was the key to life.
At school they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up.
I said “happy" and they told me I didn’t understand the question.
I told them they didn’t understand life.

Tim Kennelly
Jeanton
Casablanca Unit: Avio/Bogart 4000 Pro Bogart 2.4 Pal with twister,Quadcam,Photo Studio 2,Twixtor

Post by Jeanton »

Hi Tim

Do you connect the harddrive dock to your Pro by USB or is there a SATA connection at the back of the machine. I might need one for when I do a full destructive install for the next wedding season.
Jeanton
Jeantons Video Productions
TimKennelly

Post by TimKennelly »

I connect it using the USB connector, works great.

I now have three 1TB drives and I have taken to keeping one active gig on the internal drive at a time and using the 1TB drives to keep several versions of each active gig on a separate external drive so I can archive, update and switch gigs much faster and with far greater flexibility than archiving several active gigs on one drive.

Archiving a full terabyte drive takes significant time whereas updating a single (multiple Projects) gig goes much quicker.

Tim Kennelly
TimKennelly

Post by TimKennelly »

John,

Yes, you can use the front or the back.

You sometimes need to power cycle (connect drive with the power off the S4P or power it down after connecting and then power back up) after connecting an external drive to get it to be recognized.

Tim Kennelly
Macromax
Casablanca Unit: S4000 Pro, Bogart 4.5c, Arabesk 5.3, Hard disk BU 1.6, Effects packs 1 to 8

Post by Macromax »

When I tried to get my camera to do a down conversion and the system S4 pro wouldn't accept any DV footage, with all setting correct, so I did the following:
1. Used Bogart 1.1 backup to backup all my 21 projects.
2. Did a fresh install of Bogart 2.3d
3. Tested the DV record and it worked with no problems.
4. Loaded a half hour DV video down converted in the camera from HDV
5. Loaded all my software programs.
6. Using Arabesk 4.4 burn't a DVD good results like we use to get with DVD burning.
7. Tested the DV record again before doing a restore of all my projects and no problems.
8. Restored all my projects from the backup.
9. Tested the DV record on a new project and it won't work again.
I thought that Bogart Backup was only suppose to backup project data only, not system errors. Control of I/O ports would be part of the system software and not backed up.
TimKennelly

Post by TimKennelly »

It should not archive glitches as it does not archive the OS.

I tested for this first thing thinking I could do a full, destructive install, load all the optional software and archive this as a simple quick, base restarting point, but as it does not archive even the optional software, just the video/audio data that did not work.

It sounds like from what you just said that the activation of one of the optional software could possibly be causing this.

However, as I have all available software and I do not experience this that seems unlikely.

You are sure you are in a SD Project and not a HDV Project accidently when you were trying to input and that the cam definitely was downconverting to DV and not mistakenly trying to export HDV, right?

You are aware that you must power cycle the cam after switching in either direction between HDV and DV before the cam actually engages the switch, right.

Tim Kennelly
Macromax
Casablanca Unit: S4000 Pro, Bogart 4.5c, Arabesk 5.3, Hard disk BU 1.6, Effects packs 1 to 8

Post by Macromax »

What ever is causing the problem it was definitely saved with the backup archive.
I did have the selected project setup for 16:9 Anamorphic.
For the testing I used two different cameras one, a Panasonic DV only camera and a Canon HV20 both cameras worked fine on my Solitaire recording DV.
In step 7 after I had activated all my software I could still record DV footage into the S4K.
After doing the restore in step 8, of the backup done in step 1, trying to do steps 3, 4 or 7 were not possible. Which means something other than project data was archived with the backup.
This means finishing all projects, archiving them to HDV Tape, do another fresh install and then record back the DV versions. Then burn to DVD or wait until the HDV to DV downconvert is fixed.
TimKennelly

Post by TimKennelly »

Well, from what you have written I would have to agree.

I would suggest waiting might be more efficient and less aggravating if you deadlines are not time crucial.

It has been mentioned that this has been "fixed" and is just awaiting the next upgrade version for what that is worth.

Tim

Tim Kennelly
LouBruno
Casablanca Unit: STUDIO ULTRA ,SAPHIR, MS TRAVEL ..with ALL SOFTWARE, Cassie Travel Laptop PRO- Bogart Windows, MSI APACHE laptop with BOGART and all Current BOGART & Arabesk. Saphir 2.
GLIDECAM HD-2000, I-Pad latest, Sony HX-99..4K still camera

SONY FDR-53 4K,
, SONY FDR AX-700 HDR 4K video camera, GoPro HD2&3, SONY HDR-CX150 small HD pocket camera, SONY AX-53. Panasonic HC-20

Two Samsung BD D5700 Blu-ray players. OPPO 4K player.
JVC DT-V20L1 HDV monitor, All Music2Hues and Digital Hotcakes, Nikon D-80 still camera, NIKON D7100 HDSLR 18-300mm lens, D500 Nikon, 10 professional bicycles, two camels and a donkey :-) ........ Gocycle@gmail.com

Post by LouBruno »

Please forgive me if you already did my below suggestion:

For some reason, default seems to be HDV input. After installation of software (#5 in your post) and full installs, the VIDEO setting defaults to other than DV. So, no matter how one tries to input DV material or DV downconvert material from a camera/deck, it will not work. Just double check your VIDEO setting in the MAIN interface window and make sure it is set to DV. If in fact you did, this posting may help others.

Macromax wrote:When I tried to get my camera to do a down conversion and the system S4 pro wouldn't accept any DV footage, with all setting correct, so I did the following:
1. Used Bogart 1.1 backup to backup all my 21 projects.
2. Did a fresh install of Bogart 2.3d
3. Tested the DV record and it worked with no problems.
4. Loaded a half hour DV video down converted in the camera from HDV
5.software programs. Loaded all my 6. Using Arabesk 4.4 burn't a DVD good results like we use to get with DVD burning.
7. Tested the DV record again before doing a restore of all my projects and no problems.
8. Restored all my projects from the backup.
9. Tested the DV record on a new project and it won't work again.
I thought that Bogart Backup was only suppose to backup project data only, not system errors. Control of I/O ports would be part of the system software and not backed up.