PowerKey - moving a minute at a time

For all questions & tips related to Casablanca video editors.
Walter
Casablanca Unit: Prestige, Smart Edit 9.1, Bonus Effects, Card Drive, DVD Arabesk 4.1, Effects 1-4, Fonts 1-4, Motion 3D Vol 2, Motion Perfect, Photo Transfer, Powerkey, Steady Hand, Surround Effect, VME Compact 50, Sony VX2100 Old Member #1870 Registered: Apr. 2002

PowerKey - moving a minute at a time

Post by Walter »

I know that through the use of PowerKey you can scroll through video frame by frame using the arrow key, and second by second with the Page Up and Page Down keys, but is there a way to scroll a minute at a time? Any help would be appreciated as I'm transferring 26 analog tapes to DVD with one minute chapter points.
Thanks.
Walter Altenmueller
The olympic flame came to Abbotsford February 7, 2010.
Walter
Casablanca Unit: Prestige, Smart Edit 9.1, Bonus Effects, Card Drive, DVD Arabesk 4.1, Effects 1-4, Fonts 1-4, Motion 3D Vol 2, Motion Perfect, Photo Transfer, Powerkey, Steady Hand, Surround Effect, VME Compact 50, Sony VX2100 Old Member #1870 Registered: Apr. 2002

Re: PowerKey - moving a minute at a time

Post by Walter »

OK, I'll try to answer my own question. The best I could come up with was this example from the PowerKey manual:
If you want to move a slider to adjust either a timecode
or a numerical value, proceed as follows:
For instance, in the „Edit“ screen open the „New Scene“ menu and select the „Length“ slider by pressing the t key code to activate it. If, say, the slider currently displays a length of 3 seconds and you want the scene to have a length of 5 seconds, you have various options open to you. Moving the slider using the navigation arrows would allow you to enter a value precisely but it would definitely
take too long.
Pressing the End key would move the slider too far to the right and is therefore of no use here. So you can either use the Page Down key or enter the number directly. If you decide to use the Page Down key, you have to press the key twice in order to increase the length from 3 to 5 seconds, since one press of the key equates to one second on the slider.
If you decide to enter the number directly, press the Alt key and, while keeping it pressed, enter the values 5, 0, 0 one after the other. If you were to only enter the number 5, a length of only 5 frames would be added to the slider’s position.
I conclude that I simply need to type in Alt-1-0-0-0-0 to reach one minute. Does that sound reasonable? However, that's still a fair number of keystrokes on a 60 minute DVD.
Walter Altenmueller
CKNewman
Casablanca Unit: Windows computer with Bogart SE 13.3, Arabesk 7, Audio Effects Pack v1.2b, Motion 3D XL-1 Pack 1, Sentry HD-Backup, Disk Juggler, Power Key, Aspector, Chromit, Effects Pack 8, Effect Pack 9, PiP Studio 3, Time-X, Ultimate Spice Box HD, Slivers, PIP Studio 4 ; Older windows computer with Bogart 8.4, Arabesk 7; Kron Plus with SE 8.3, most Generation 2 software except for CB Paint, Columbus, titling add-ons, and graphics symbols. Various TVs and a Kenner Give-A-Show Projector

Post by CKNewman »

Years ago, before smart edit, there was a feature in version 1.(?) of the operating system that would look at the length of the clip you were working on and divide it by 10. There was a button you could click and the clip would advance by one-tenth of the length of the clip. Then somebody decided we didn't need it. Never saw it again. :(
Craig Newman
ChrisStone
Casablanca Unit: Renommee Plus w/SE8 and all software

Post by ChrisStone »

Walter
There's no way I know of to advance your trim or split function by 1 minute intervals. However if you'll select your finished video and then go into the split menu you can use the page down arrow key button and by keeping it depressed you can rapidly scroll through the video. It takes about 3.5 seconds give or take to advance one minute. After a little practice you can get pretty close to your one minute mark, and then adjust as neccessary. Then press the use button or u key and repeat.
Chris Stone
Etched In Stone Video Productions
Renommee + SE9, All software, Panasonic AF100 Panasonic AG-160,
Adobe Production Suite CS6
Member # 5
TimKennelly
Casablanca Unit: No Casablanca unit currently.

Post by TimKennelly »

Walter,

The answer is no.

The descriptors in PK only work in certain menus such as the duration slider in New.

You are working in Split where you have what you mentioned, manual macro scrolling with the trackball, the arrow keys for frames and the page keys for seconds.

Why one minute Chapter breaks?

You can do this manually be coming close with the trackball with one hand and using the other hand to control the cursor keys, but how ledious and for what, one minute Chapter breaks?!?

Arabesk can be set to automatic five minute Chapter breaks.

If this is for a client I would offer five minute Chapter breaks or charge extra and if for yourself I'd suggest living with five minute Chapter breaks.
My mom always told me that happiness was the key to life.
At school they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up.
I said “happy" and they told me I didn’t understand the question.
I told them they didn’t understand life.

Tim Kennelly
Walter

Post by Walter »

Up until now I have been doing it the Chris Stone method, holding down the Page Down key getting fairly close to one minute. Just thought there might be a faster way.

Tim, which version of Arabesk has the five minute chapters? I have not seen that option yet, otherwise I would have done it that way. I have forgotten how tedious it is to split analog footage after dealing with digital for a number of years. The two finger edit on my SVHS machines are luckily a distant past.
Walter Altenmueller
Walter

Post by Walter »

Craig,
Working on this project got me thinking how nice it would be to just tell Arabesk to add X number of chapters and then hit ADD Film. Sounds like the old feature would have been somewhat useful in this situation. Oh well, that's progress.
Walter Altenmueller
Walter

Post by Walter »

Must be from DVD Arabesk 3 and on:
Note: If you don‘t use the chapter editing function, then chapters are automatically created in five-minute intervals. In this case no chapter menu is generated, but you can still move through the chapters using the remote control of your player.
Hmmm...maybe time to upgrade.

Thanks for all your help.
Walter Altenmueller
TimKennelly
Casablanca Unit: No Casablanca unit currently.

Post by TimKennelly »

Well, A4 certainly has it.

I thought it was a choice in A3 as well though.

And I believe it's a standard feature on any stand alone DVD burners.
My mom always told me that happiness was the key to life.
At school they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up.
I said “happy" and they told me I didn’t understand the question.
I told them they didn’t understand life.

Tim Kennelly
ChrisStone
Casablanca Unit: Renommee Plus w/SE8 and all software

Post by ChrisStone »

I have a "method" named after me. COOL :D
Chris Stone
Etched In Stone Video Productions
Renommee + SE9, All software, Panasonic AF100 Panasonic AG-160,
Adobe Production Suite CS6
Member # 5