Wide-screen recording question.

For all questions & tips related to Casablanca video editors.
PaulBusta
Casablanca Unit: S4000Pro & Bogart V2.1e OS, with much software.

Wide-screen recording question.

Post by PaulBusta »

I will be taping a band this July and would like to do something different for them, their show in wide-screen but in standard def not high def. I will be using 3 Sony, 3 chip DVCAM camcorders that shoot in wide-screen. Has anyone out there done this kind of shoot and edit before, if so is it worth doing or is the resolution of SD to low to look any good when viewed full screen on a wide-screen TV. And how well does the Casablanca handle wide-screen editing. This band is a national and international act and could be a big break for me.

Thanks for any help,

Paul
Paul Busta

P.A.B. Digital Video Productions
S4000Pro & Bogart V2.1e OS with much software.
Casablanca user since 1997.
LouBruno
Casablanca Unit: STUDIO ULTRA ,SAPHIR, MS TRAVEL ..with ALL SOFTWARE, Cassie Travel Laptop PRO- Bogart Windows, MSI APACHE laptop with BOGART and all Current BOGART & Arabesk. Saphir 2.
GLIDECAM HD-2000, I-Pad latest, Sony HX-99..4K still camera

SONY FDR-53 4K,
, SONY FDR AX-700 HDR 4K video camera, GoPro HD2&3, SONY HDR-CX150 small HD pocket camera, SONY AX-53. Panasonic HC-20

Two Samsung BD D5700 Blu-ray players. OPPO 4K player.
JVC DT-V20L1 HDV monitor, All Music2Hues and Digital Hotcakes, Nikon D-80 still camera, NIKON D7100 HDSLR 18-300mm lens, D500 Nikon, 10 professional bicycles, two camels and a donkey :-) ........ Gocycle@gmail.com

Re: Wide-screen recording question.

Post by LouBruno »

Which camera are you using? Are the chips native 16:9? If not, the electronic widescreen as found on PD170's will cause a loss of resolution. I used a 52" plasma to experiment with and the picture was disgusting compared to cameras with true 16:9 chips.

When working in 16:9, simply place your project to 16:9 anamorphic. This will keep your titles and transitions in the proper aspect ratio.

Rendering in SD 16:9 is the same as rendeing in SD 4:3.
TimKennelly
Casablanca Unit: No Casablanca unit currently.

Post by TimKennelly »

As Lou mentioned, the issue is not the SD format, it is the capability of the cams.

HDV cams chips are designed for 16:9 as that is one of the basic tenants of HDV and so they can shoot or downconvera to 16:9 (widescreen) SD with full SD resolution.

Most SD cams, regardless of how many chips they have are formatted to shoot 4:3.

Some of these have an electronic "trick" that allows them to shoot "framed" in 16:9, but like all electronic slight of hands in the video field that is at the cost of resolution.
My mom always told me that happiness was the key to life.
At school they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up.
I said “happy" and they told me I didn’t understand the question.
I told them they didn’t understand life.

Tim Kennelly
PaulBusta
Casablanca Unit: S4000Pro & Bogart V2.1e OS, with much software.

Post by PaulBusta »

Hey Lou and Tim thanks, that's what I was looking for. They are native 4:3 and I kinda figured the resolution would go to poop when you streched it out but I needed to hear from someone who had actually tried it. So to do it right all I need do is spend about $18,000.00 on 3 good HDV cameras and another $1,000.00 on Quad Cam and then I could REALLY impress them ;) I think I'm going to have to wait a loooooong while on that one :D Editing this without Quad Cam is really going to be a bear. :(
Paul Busta

P.A.B. Digital Video Productions
S4000Pro & Bogart V2.1e OS with much software.
Casablanca user since 1997.
TimKennelly
Casablanca Unit: No Casablanca unit currently.

Post by TimKennelly »

Nah, wouldn't cost that much.

3 Canon XH A1 cams or Sony equivalents would set you back under ten grand with QC.

However, for a one event gig I think I would look into renting the cams.
My mom always told me that happiness was the key to life.
At school they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up.
I said “happy" and they told me I didn’t understand the question.
I told them they didn’t understand life.

Tim Kennelly
RonaldPawlak
Casablanca Unit: Bogart 5.3 O.S.,Arabesk 5.4c, S4K Pro, most software, not a lot of HD software, Exterrnal USB blu-ray burner, Just purchase (2) XF-100 Canon cameras and one VIXIA HF-S10, HD cameras. (2) Senheisser Wireless Mics.

Post by RonaldPawlak »

How would I know whether my cameras chips were "true native 16:9"? Would I find that in my owner's manual, or is there some kind of list somewhere stating what models are "true native 16:9 chips" cameras.
I can't afford to purchase all new HD cameras right now, maybe in the near distant future if there is a demand for it.
The thing I have against getting new HD cameras now is they are not good in low light situations. Hopefully the HD cameras in the near future will come down in price and and have better results in low light situations. A lot of weddings I shoot really frown on the use if lights at the reception.
LouBruno
Casablanca Unit: STUDIO ULTRA ,SAPHIR, MS TRAVEL ..with ALL SOFTWARE, Cassie Travel Laptop PRO- Bogart Windows, MSI APACHE laptop with BOGART and all Current BOGART & Arabesk. Saphir 2.

SONY FDR-53 4K,
, SONY FDR AX-700 HDR 4K video camera, GoPro HD2&3, SONY HDR-CX150 small HD pocket camera, SONY AX-53. Panasonic HC-20

JVC DT-V20L1 HDV monitor, All Music2Hues and Digital Hotcakes, Nikon D-80 still camera, NIKON D7100 HDSLR 18-300mm lens, D500 Nikon, 10 professional bicycles, two camels and a donkey :-) ........ Gocycle@gmail.com

Post by LouBruno »

All HDV cameras are true 16:9 chips...that's your safest bet . The Canon XL-2 is 16:9 as well though I have been told not quite true 16:9 resolution but not electronic gimicktry either.

Low light is always an issue with 16:9 chips except for the EX-1 which still exhibits grain I read.

RonaldPawlak wrote:How would I know whether my cameras chips were "true native 16:9"? Would I find that in my owner's manual, or is there some kind of list somewhere stating what models are "true native 16:9 chips" cameras.
I can't afford to purchase all new HD cameras right now, maybe in the near distant future if there is a demand for it.
The thing I have against getting new HD cameras now is they are not good in low light situations. Hopefully the HD cameras in the near future will come down in price and and have better results in low light situations. A lot of weddings I shoot really frown on the use if lights at the reception.
jimmeeker
Casablanca Unit: Avio, Solitaire, with OS 9.1 and S-6000 with Bogart 5 & all software

Post by jimmeeker »

Hello Paul,

You can always do it the old fashioned way. Shoot in 4X3 and add the "Cinemascope" effect afterward. Just tape off your viewfinder so it will show you what a Widescreen version of your 4X3 will look like after you clip off the top and botton with the "Cinemascope" effect. Your LCD will look like a 16X9 even though it's really a 4X3.

That way you'll be able to compose for the widescreen look while you are shooting...so you won't accidentally shoot something that will be blacked out in the "Cinemascope" effect during the editing stage. You will be losing some picture material but the widescreen effect looks good and the portion left within the "Cinemascope" area is full SD resolution and is not downgraded electronicaly by a conversion.

It gets the customers thinking about Widescreen and will fill in during this time period between SD and HD projects.
This will give them what they want and not cost you anything to accomplish it. But do get Quad Cam....it is indeed a life saver no matter what format you are shooting in.
Jim Meeker
The Old Timer

Founder of the
"March Get Together"

We Remember
12-7-41 and 9-11-01
Milan, Illinois
S-6000 w/Bogart 5 /Solitaire, Avio DVD / All Software OS 9.1/ Panasonic HMC150p AVCHD Camcorder
LouBruno

SONY FDR-53 4K,

Post by LouBruno »

If I may add to Jim's excellent advice. Some cameras now have a 16:9 aspect ratio guideline in the menu. This creates the lines in the EVF for you to compose within the lines. Canon and JVC pro series have this ability. Maybe SONY as well in the higher end cameras.
methuenbill
Casablanca Unit: Casablanca Studio Pro (unable to use with latest software) The old reliable S6000 still working and using till Studio Pro works. Avio DVD, IMac, Panasonic AG-AC30, 3 Panasonic AG-UG90 last Bogart software and Arabesk release

Post by methuenbill »

I also have a question on the wide screen mode. The bride wants wide screen for her finished product, but the mother of the bride wants full (she is paying the bill) is there a way to edit out to both? I use Sony VX2100's