Bogart 3.5

For all questions & tips related to Casablanca video editors.
Alan
Casablanca Unit: S 4000 Pro. Cannon XH A1. Cannon XL2. Cannon XM1.

Re: Bogart 3.5

Post by Alan »

Thanks for the info. Is Western Digital the only one, or are there other makes out there that might be better?

Alan
HansJoachimKoenig
Casablanca Unit: KARAT Bogart 7.1
1-Monitor Mode
Almost all software
Arabesk 6.3f / Ext-HD /Ext-HD-Dock
Sony Cam XR520

Post by HansJoachimKoenig »

Yes, Alan there are also other makes beside WD.
My info is they all can perform the same.
But can't give you any links.
Hans-Joachim König
Berlin / Germany
Alan

Post by Alan »

The WD box looks OK except that I can see no high quality connections for audio. I shall not be connecting to a TV but to my projector via HDMI and to my amplifier for sound. Its an old but good quality one, but has no inputs for surround sound or optical connection.

Iomega do Screenplay plus HD media player with built in HD. Has anyone any experience with this?

Alan
HansJoachimKoenig
1-Monitor Mode
Almost all software
Sony Cam XR520

Alan,
analog stereo audio can be obtained using the A/V-Output jack on WD TV Live player
http://www.wdc.com/global/flash/video/v ... 0x360&l=de
Hans-Joachim König
Berlin / Germany
nighvideo
Casablanca Unit: Prestige / and Casablance s-4100

Post by nighvideo »

Really gentlemen... is all this really worth it. If I am gonna deliver the final product on DVD, I shoot and edit in SD and burn DVD. I dont really have many requests for HD and will not go AVCHD because I feel Macro released their units to soon (otherwise...why so much talk about fixes?). I still have my old prestige that just keeps purring along. I now have the s4100 that has a few gotchas, but can be worked around. I have decided to go with HDV. Yes i know its "old stuff", but I think its gonna be much more compatible with what I have, and i'm sure its not gonna take 4hours to render 12 minutes of video. If so, then its no HD for me. A high end cam set at SD, edit SD, burn SD, will play on anybodys dv player, just tell em to hit upconvert. Not much difference. Thanks... I'm sure you all want to punch me.
HansJoachimKoenig
1-Monitor Mode
Almost all software
Sony Cam XR520

Don't wonna punch you...
But why in heaven did you buy a 4100 just for simple SD editing :o
Hans-Joachim König
Berlin / Germany
Alan

Post by Alan »

Really gentlemen... is all this really worth it? In a word YES. I watch my HD videos on a 92 inch screen alongside Blue Ray movies. My S4000pro edits HDV and AVCHD beautifully. Visitors cannot see any difference in quality between my HD movies and commercial ones. There is huge difference between SD and HD when viewed on a large screen.

What it does not do is produce a disc at the end that plays properly on my top quality Sony BD player. Edited files are perfect, transferring them to a media player or Sony Play Station solves the problem.

If I ran a business I would probably Video in DV all the way through and produce DVD's. I'm not, so all my videos are recorded in HDV or AVCHD and down converted if anyone want a DVD. V3,5 now seems to be doing a better job of down conversion.

Cheers Alan.
craigpeer
Casablanca Unit: Portable TV Studio, Bogart 13,
Canon HV30 cameras

Post by craigpeer »

Really gentlemen... is all this really worth it? In a word YES. I watch my HD videos on a 92 inch screen alongside Blue Ray movies. My S4000pro edits HDV and AVCHD beautifully. Visitors cannot see any difference in quality between my HD movies and commercial ones. There is huge difference between SD and HD when viewed on a large screen.
I agree. I traded up to an S4100 to edit HDV and burn Blu Rays. The Blu Rays look fabulous projected on a 120" diagonal screen and played on my Oppo BDP 83 Blu Ray player - and play perfectly. I waited for this for years, and now I have video quality that makes me very happy !!
Portable TV Studio, Bogart 13
nighvideo

Post by nighvideo »

This is why I stayed with HDV. Shoot tape, edit, render, burn. Fool proof. Yes ... it takes longer to download (thats ok cuz i can preview), but much less time to render. Thanks
nighvideo

Post by nighvideo »

And this is to Hans... upgraded to the 4100 in the hopes of doing HD. I've decided to stay with tape (HDV) because it is much more compatible with the casablanca units. Lets face it.. companies release too soon with the bug fixits to follow (this should be illegal). I do know the difference between SD and HD.. 480 vs 1080, and of course the HD is better, but cmon.... you should be able to shoot/download/edit and burn... whether its SD or HD, should not be that difficult. People are choosing SD right now, I cant figure out why (probably the blu-ray player thing, just like when DVD wasnt compatible in all players). When I'm hired to do an SD project, I shoot SD, edit SD, and burn SD. Shooting in HD and down converting serves me no purpose, unless i want to archive the raw footage in HD. Thanks...