S3000 shuts down on own

For all questions & tips related to Casablanca video editors.
Bonnie
Casablanca Unit: AVIO DV

Re: S3000 shuts down on own

Post by Bonnie »

Thanks. I just ordered a hard drive and the bogart backup software. Hopefully I can then get back to editing.

thanks again for all your help.
S3000/Bogart 4.1g/Pro 3.0/Arabesk 4.x/500gb HD & software/Photo Transfer 1.6/PIP Studio/Steady Hand/Blue Box World/Title Effects/Font Package Pro/Fonts 2,3/Effects #5/disk transfer/Title bax
Martyn
Casablanca Unit: You name it

Post by Martyn »

As an addendum to Ian's comprehensive instructions we have recommended Seagate Expansion drives to our customers because we know there is no additional backup software already installed (and they have subsequently proved to be very reliable). Previously when I mentioned this, some members ridiculed it but we have experienced problems with some drives (WD in particular) that have a hidden partition containing backup software. This is incompatible with Bogart machines and when it self triggers tends to confuse them. Trying to reformat these drives to eliminate the partition has proved difficult but was successfully carried out using a Mac.

Obviously there are other brands of drives without pre-installed software but it is wise to check.

Martyn
Dalco uk
Bonnie

Post by Bonnie »

I'm back!! I bought a Lacie HD and Bogart backup soctware. I took the following steps:

1) Backedup my projects
2) Re-installed the operating system (Bogart 4.1g) and all software with no problems
3) Restored the projects from the Lacie with no aparent problem
4) Still had problems with some clips from the scene not displaying in the window to the right
5) Identified some clips that would not display
6) The same clips were in 2 projects
7) Deleted the clips from storyboard and scene bin in first project
8) Deleted same clips from storyboard and scene bin in second project
9) Returned to first project and the deleted scenes were in both the storyboard & scene bin represented by solid green scenes
10) Repeated this process and changed to an empty project and back to first project - the same result - green scenes
11) Repeated this process and shut the machine down for about 20 minutes
12) Same result
13) I was going to reload the clips form original source (DV tape

I haven't a clue. If I did it right, then could it be hardware related? It is still under warrantee. I just started using it in May.

If I called support would the charges apply since it is still under warrantee?

I am SOOOOOOOOOOO frustrated. I'm beginning to regret getting the machine.

Any ideas or suggestions would be really apprectated.

Bonnie
S3000/Bogart 4.1g/Pro 3.0/Arabesk 4.x/500gb HD & software/Photo Transfer 1.6/PIP Studio/Steady Hand/Blue Box World/Title Effects/Font Package Pro/Fonts 2,3/Effects #5/disk transfer/Title bax
JBrooks
Casablanca Unit: Casablanca 4 Studio Pro Ultra, Panasonic AG-DVX200 HD/4K Camera, GoPro Hero 2 and Hero 4 Black, Sony and Azden UHF Wireless Mics, Manfrotto 509 HD Pro Tripods, LitePanel Pro Camera Light, iKan 508B LED Portable Light kits.

Post by JBrooks »

Bonnie,

I'm sure others will chime in that have an S-6000. I have the S-4100 & have experienced the solid green clips before. Once a corrupt clip happens, it is very hard to get rid of it unless you do another full install of the OS, otherwise even if you delete the "corrupted green clips" they can show up at other places & even other projects as I call them, "ghost clips". Until you try another full install, the corrupt clip grimlins will still be on your drive. Usually, a full install will remedy this issue.

Also, as a safety practice, whenever I delete a project or a single video clip, exit out of that project then to an empty project, & back. This will clear the cache memory. This will help prevent ghosting renegade clips as well.

Joel Brooks
MIT Video
Joel Brooks
MIT Video Productions
Macrosystem Americas Dealer
www.mitvideoproductions.com
jbrooks@mitvideoproductions.com
817-771-8347
IanPearson
Casablanca Unit: Studio Pro OS B4W V9
S6000 OS Bogart SE V9
Solitaire OS V9.1

Programs:- Most of the standard operating programs.

Post by IanPearson »

Bonnie
Firstly, I doubt very much that your problem is a hardware issue, I would be very surprised if it is the S3000

I also agree with Joel, in that this is a typical clip corruption issue. Whilst you have gone through the process of backing up and presumably doing a full install of the OS, not just an update, any corruption in the first backup data will have also been saved and reloaded after your OS installation. Something I guess I should have realised earlier.

I know this is going to sound like a real pain, but I think the only solution is to firstly follow Joel’s advice and delete all your suspect scenes. Hopefully this may just clear the problem, but if it doesn’t you are then left with again doing a backup, that is after the removal the corrupt data, and again doing a full installation of the OS.

I personally cannot think of anything else, but others may well come in at this stage.

Ian
Ian Pearson S6000 Bogart SE7 - Solitaire OS V9.1 - Avio DV Pro OS V9.1
Programs:- Most programs, with the notable exception of CB Paint and Quadcam
Kingston upon Hull. England
Bonnie

Post by Bonnie »

Thanks for your replies. I ended up having to delete the projects since I could not get rid of the clips any other way. I reloaded the film, did an NOP under questionalable clips and loaded them into a different project as well to edit and play with. Then did a backup. I just got that finished. So I'll see what happens when I start editing. I am going to comnplete the editing without the clips. Then do a backup. Then add the clips where I want them last. Hopefully it will work. If not at least I won't lose all that time that I had to spend to re-edit. Thanks again guys.

Bonnie
IanPearson
Casablanca Unit: Studio Pro OS B4W V9
S6000 OS Bogart SE V9
Solitaire OS V9.1

Programs:- Most of the standard operating programs.

Post by IanPearson »

Bonnie
Yes I think you have made a wise choice, start with a clean sheet, even though it must have been pain having to reload all the footage.

If you do have problems once you start re-editing, you can always delete your project with the suspect clips as your first move. Also with a complex or long edit, I tend to do a backup at the end of each session. This way you will not lose more than a sessions work.

Ian
Ian Pearson S6000 Bogart SE7 - Solitaire OS V9.1 - Avio DV Pro OS V9.1
Programs:- Most programs, with the notable exception of CB Paint and Quadcam
Kingston upon Hull. England
nighvideo
Casablanca Unit: Prestige / and Casablance s-4100

Post by nighvideo »

sounds like you have a casablanca editing system. try a pc with a terabyte and pinnacle. you wont be sorry.