Internet Video Options

For all questions & tips related to Casablanca video editors.
ShadowVision
Casablanca Unit: AVIO DV SE 6; S4000Pro, DVX100; Sony HDV1000U; Sony HC9 with Letus mini and lenses, MacBook Pro

Internet Video Options

Post by ShadowVision »

Guys, I'm so excited about the new system having the ability to take our projects to the Internet.

I've had so many problems accomplishing this.

Last year, I purchased a MacBook Pro with Final Cut Express, but even that intro program was pretty intimidating. Admittedly, I've been under deadline and not had time to devote to learning it.

The main thing I've used Final Cut for is to convert my projects to an mov so that I can upload it to Blip.tv which converts it to flash. My clients set up a Blip account and this gives them the ability to embed video into their company website. It is very cool!

I've used a program call Roxio Crunch on my PC to compress projects, but my Mac will not play DVD's created by the AVIO. Has anyone had trouble with this Mac superdrive? The way I've been doing this with the Mac is to just run it out and back in on DV. This is also a way to get much better quality all the way around. But it takes loads of time.

Okay, I want to move to the new high end S4000 but it appears to not be available for NTSC yet. But I'd love it if there was a piece of software for the AVIO that I could buy that would convert the project to a Internet friendly format. Anyone know if that's coming? It might not be possible with my limited unit, but I think that there would be a big demand for it. And frankly, all my work is going to the Internet.

Thanks!
Jonathan W. Hickman
Author of THE TASTER
TimKennelly
Casablanca Unit: No Casablanca unit currently.

Re: Internet Video Options

Post by TimKennelly »

I truly do not think you will see any such animal for the Avio.

The unit (which I owned) is a very basic editor meant to accomplish that direct task and does so well within it's limitations.

All the generation two machines were designed for stand alone applications and I would be surprised if any that will have to remain on the Smart Edit operating system will get such software offered, but who knows.

You can firewire to a PC/Mac with the AvioDV and up and at that point convert the AVI file over to one of the many formats used on the internet.

Those machines that can move to the Linux based BogartSE operating system on the other hand will get a ton of built in conversion capabilities as at MGT I was shown the S4000 Pro already had literally hundreds of conversion choices to alternative formats right down to Ipods and a huge variety of video cellphone choices!
My mom always told me that happiness was the key to life.
At school they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up.
I said “happy" and they told me I didn’t understand the question.
I told them they didn’t understand life.

Tim Kennelly
ShadowVision
Casablanca Unit: AVIO DV SE 6; S4000Pro, DVX100; Sony HDV1000U; Sony HC9 with Letus mini and lenses, MacBook Pro

Post by ShadowVision »

Thanks, I thought that I could just plug the AVIO into my MAC, but I was concerned about that being hotswapping.

Can I just plug it in with the MAC also on, or should I have the AVIO off first?

Seems like this would be a great way to do the transfer. I suppose you'd lose no frames that way too. I've had some trouble with a dropped video frame (I think that's what the deal is) resulting in a unsynced sound track.

If you can, please let me know the right sequence to follow when plugging the AVIO into the MAC or PC.
Jonathan W. Hickman
Author of THE TASTER
chetdavis
Site Admin
Casablanca Unit: S-4000 PRO, Renommee Plus, Liberty Plus

Post by chetdavis »

I also transfer video via firewire from my Casablanca unit/s to my Mac for compression into an MP4 file for uploading to YouTube!

As long as one of the two devices is powered down you will not need to worry about the potential damage from hot-swapping. I believe I have my Mac turned off and connect the cable and then boot-up, but I found it is your choice.

Hey, I thought you would already have this knowledge -- I remember hearing somewhere before... 'The Shadow Knows"
(sorry couldn't resist ;) )

Regards,
Chet
Chet Davis
Vice-President, Marketing & Sales
MacroSystem US
http://www.macrosystem.us
Office 303.801.1056
JPaul
Casablanca Unit: Kron Plus(NTSC) OS 6.2c/Arabesk 2/3, LaCie FWHD, most software; Sony PD-150s

Post by JPaul »

:!: I copied this from MS website:

Connecting and Disconnecting DV Firewire devices:
When you connect or disconnect a DV Firewire device to your Casablanca, please make sure that your Casablanca and DV device are both powered OFF.

It has been brought to our attention that plugging and unplugging DV cables when the Casablanca and DV device are powered ON can cause damage to your equipment.

The DV device, the Casablanca, or both could be damaged if DV cables are plugged or unplugged while the machines are turned on.

This applies to all Casablanca models and all types of DV devices- cameras, decks, switchers, mixers, DVD burners, etc.
Paul Tessier - Northern Virginia
ShadowVision

Post by ShadowVision »

Yes, the Shadow remembers!

Honestly, I never hooked up the computer to the AVIO and just did it by DV tape, but I couldn't remember if the hot-swap deal applied to the MAC.

What program are you using to capture on the MAC?

I've had a devil of a time using IMovie, so, I used Final Cut Express which I'm all thumbs with.

Here's a funny thing with IMovie: It reshuffles my movie and groups the clips into thumbnails. This is so frustrating! And unlike Windows Movie Maker, I've can't turn that function off (or can't figure out how).

As for the ShadowVision company, that's a commercial company a writer bud of mine and I put together to do documentaries. It is a part-time thing and has made us some money (always good). My main company is http://einsiders.com/ and while I'm at it, I just wrote a book. My first novel entitled "The Taster" is available at Barnes and Noble and Amazon: http://search.barnesandnoble.com/The-Ta ... 855/?itm=1

I'd be happy to sign one for anyone brave enough to buy it.

Thanks guys I'm trying the AVIO to MAC firewire transfer now. With regard to YouTube, I've been using Blip.tv. Seems like Blip is more geared toward professionals. Check out my page: http://einsiders.blip.tv/

I've been embedding the video and audio into einsiders.com, which has worked pretty well.
Jonathan W. Hickman
Author of THE TASTER
TimKennelly
Casablanca Unit: No Casablanca unit currently.

Post by TimKennelly »

Hotswapping is a definite NoNo at any time with your Cassie unit.

Play safe and have the Avio off whenever connecting it to your Mac.
My mom always told me that happiness was the key to life.
At school they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up.
I said “happy" and they told me I didn’t understand the question.
I told them they didn’t understand life.

Tim Kennelly