Removable Sled HD or Lacie FW HD?

For all questions & tips related to Casablanca video editors.
DrDray
Casablanca Unit: Solitaire 8.0 Arabesk 4.1d most software

Removable Sled HD or Lacie FW HD?

Post by DrDray »

Which would be better if I just want to hang on to large 2 hour projects for couple months before I delete them forever but want to work on other new projects with out all my hard drive space filling up? I only have 1 300g sled in my solitaire. Which is cheaper and more pratical in this case?
Lowell
Casablanca Unit: 1 casablanca solitaire most software. liberty plus all software one S4000 pro most software. One S4000 pro all software. 6 panasonic and 2 sony 3ccd cams. running Se9 on solitare and bogart 3.2 on both S4000's.

Re: Removable Sled HD or Lacie FW HD?

Post by Lowell »

I would suggest getting another sled and hard drive if you do much work. that way you will have a spare if anything happens to one of them. Also I would suggest getting a lacie 500 HD. It is the easiest way to back things up. You can order the lacie from your dealer. hope that helps. lowell
Lowell Brockway email: justperfectvideo@sbcglobal.net 330-922-5606
CKNewman
Casablanca Unit: Windows computer with Bogart SE 13.3, Arabesk 7, Audio Effects Pack v1.2b, Motion 3D XL-1 Pack 1, Sentry HD-Backup, Disk Juggler, Power Key, Aspector, Chromit, Effects Pack 8, Effect Pack 9, PiP Studio 3, Time-X, Ultimate Spice Box HD, Slivers, PIP Studio 4 ; Older windows computer with Bogart 8.4, Arabesk 7; Kron Plus with SE 8.3, most Generation 2 software except for CB Paint, Columbus, titling add-ons, and graphics symbols. Various TVs and a Kenner Give-A-Show Projector

Post by CKNewman »

I would suggest getting another sled and hard drive both for the reasons that Lowell stated above and the difference in the two methods of storing a project. If you store a project on the sled and hard drive you created it on, you can re-edit the project should the client require changes. If you store the project on an external hard drive then only the storyboard gets archived - not the scene bin (and I think maybe the audio clips don't get saved separately?)

I also agree that it's a good idea to use an external drive just to store projects that won't need re-editing. You can probably save audio clips by using Sample :arrow: Scene and putting it on the storyboard then once reloaded use Scene :arrow: Sample.
Craig Newman
TimKennelly
Casablanca Unit: No Casablanca unit currently.

Post by TimKennelly »

If you are talking about parking them while you work on and finish several other projects and then bring the parked ones back to pick up where you left off and finish them you could just use the internal mirror backup on your current stuff, wipe the drive, do your various odds and ends, finish them, export them and then use the Restore to bring your current work back to life.

That would be the cheapest and most practical method if you really just want to hang on to them for later use.
My mom always told me that happiness was the key to life.
At school they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up.
I said “happy" and they told me I didn’t understand the question.
I told them they didn’t understand life.

Tim Kennelly
DrDray
Casablanca Unit: Solitaire 8.0 Arabesk 4.1d most software

Post by DrDray »

Thanks for the info all. What is the procedure if I do get the sled drive and I want to move from 1 project to another on the other sled? How will affect a DVD arabesk films? ie. if I switch to another project on a another sled drive is the arabesk film from that project still there or is the last project from either sled that was added last. Also any recomendations on where to get another sled drive?(250 or 300gig, min. 10k or faster speed)
JPaul
Casablanca Unit: Kron Plus(NTSC) OS 6.2c/Arabesk 2/3, LaCie FWHD, most software; Sony PD-150s

Post by JPaul »

Your Arabesk project exist on the hard drive. Your Arabesk films as well as your projects will remain with the hard drive.
Paul Tessier - Northern Virginia
TimKennelly
Casablanca Unit: No Casablanca unit currently.

Post by TimKennelly »

When you first install the OS and Arabesk the system creates a separate partition on the hard drive for Arabesk.

So the data (projects) in Arabesk is hard drive specific.
My mom always told me that happiness was the key to life.
At school they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up.
I said “happy" and they told me I didn’t understand the question.
I told them they didn’t understand life.

Tim Kennelly
Martyn
Casablanca Unit: You name it

Post by Martyn »

If you have a Solitaire you already have a spare sled. So financially it would make sense to buy just another hard drive for that sled. However, all film and DVD projects on one drive will be completely independent from the other. Remember that Backing up a project in file format to an external Firewire drive means that not everything would be fully restored if you need to carry out further work.

Martyn
Dalco uk