Widescreen

For all questions & tips related to Casablanca video editors.
eric
Casablanca Unit: Avio 1.1 with Pro 1.1

Widescreen

Post by eric »

I have the basic Avio with the Propack which has served me well over these years. I have a Panasonic 3 chip Camcorder Model 180 with the ability to shoot in widescreen.
If I shoot in 4:3 and input onto the Avio and output in 16:9 will this be true widescreen.
I have tried this and it doesn't seem to make much difference.
We have a widescreen TV and my holiday videos shot in 4:3 make people look fatter.so I have to alter the format on the TV to 4:3
The answer seems to me that we all have to slim a bit!
Any ideas please.
Eric
chetdavis
Site Admin
Casablanca Unit: S-4000 PRO, Renommee Plus, Liberty Plus

Re: Widescreen

Post by chetdavis »

Hello Eric,

The 16:9 settings in Smart Edit are only of use/value if you shoot your footage in the Widescreen format. It simply ensures that your masks, effects and titles correspond to the correct aspect ratio.

If you are looking to modify your 4:3 footage into the widescreen look you could use the Cine-converter which is part of the current OS versions - however, as one great thinker once said 'you can't get something from nothing'... there is a setting which allows you to stretch your 4:3 so it fits in a 16:9 space. And you will only be able to view the results on a widescreen monitor.

Hope that helps!

Regards,
Chet
Chet Davis
Vice-President, Marketing & Sales
MacroSystem US
http://www.macrosystem.us
Office 303.801.1056
CKNewman
Casablanca Unit: Windows computer with Bogart SE 13.3, Arabesk 7, Audio Effects Pack v1.2b, Motion 3D XL-1 Pack 1, Sentry HD-Backup, Disk Juggler, Power Key, Aspector, Chromit, Effects Pack 8, Effect Pack 9, PiP Studio 3, Time-X, Ultimate Spice Box HD, Slivers, PIP Studio 4 ; Older windows computer with Bogart 8.4, Arabesk 7; Kron Plus with SE 8.3, most Generation 2 software except for CB Paint, Columbus, titling add-ons, and graphics symbols. Various TVs and a Kenner Give-A-Show Projector

Post by CKNewman »

Your widescreen TV should have a button that adjusts the tv to the aspect ratio of the video you are feeding it. (Yes, I know that's a should!) When you find it just press the button repeatedly to adjust the display mode. The proper setting will show black bars on the left and right but the image will be in 4:3.
Craig Newman
Beachy
Casablanca Unit: Avio/DVD. Ver.9.1 candy factory, DVD Arabesk V4.1. Effects packs 5 6 7 8 particle magic,Pip-studio V1.0 and a Very, very old reliable, Avio 3.6c.
Cameras.CannonXL1, Sony DCR-TVR950E, Sony DSR-PD150P

Post by Beachy »

I play all my 4.3 on my Sony 32" TV on "Smart" setting and never get any stretch! or come to think of it in any of the formats ie widesreen etc etc..john
Beachy
AKA Lord Sherrington
eric
Casablanca Unit: Avio 1.1 with Pro 1.1

Post by eric »

Hello guys,
Thanks for the advice, much appreciated.
Eric