audio from a sony hvr-a1e

For all questions & tips related to Casablanca video editors.
elliottsmith
Casablanca Unit: kron plus

audio from a sony hvr-a1e

Post by elliottsmith »

Hi My sony A1E can use 2 microphone inputs.I do weddings can I use one input for the camera mic and the other for a bluetooth radio mic. Will they appear separate when loaded by firewire on my Kron,so that I can adjust the volume for each channel.
Regards,
Dave Smith
CKNewman
Casablanca Unit: Windows computer with Bogart SE 13.3, Arabesk 7, Audio Effects Pack v1.2b, Motion 3D XL-1 Pack 1, Sentry HD-Backup, Disk Juggler, Power Key, Aspector, Chromit, Effects Pack 8, Effect Pack 9, PiP Studio 3, Time-X, Ultimate Spice Box HD, Slivers, PIP Studio 4 ; Older windows computer with Bogart 8.4, Arabesk 7; Kron Plus with SE 8.3, most Generation 2 software except for CB Paint, Columbus, titling add-ons, and graphics symbols. Various TVs and a Kenner Give-A-Show Projector

Re: audio from a sony hvr-a1e

Post by CKNewman »

You have not stated which version of Smart Edit you are using. I don't know when the feature was introduced, but I can tell you that with version 8 I can adjust the volume of each track separately when editing. You can adjust the overall volume of the audio as you are importing it, but I don't think you can adjust the tracks separately when importing. Look for Volume L R in the effects menu in the Audio Mix screen and also in the Audio Record screen.

Remember to be very careful with the firewire interface - I always keep everything off, connect the cable, turn on the camera first, and then the editor. I would be careful when closing down by making sure that everything is off before disconnecting the firewire cable.

I think you will find that editing HDV will take longer but I've only used my Kron Plus for Standard Def footage. Good Luck :!:

P.S. I would experiment by trying out everything including editing before going out and shooting the wedding. :idea:
Last edited by CKNewman on Thu Sep 01, 2016 7:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Craig Newman
MichaelD
Casablanca Unit: Saphir B4W v9, S4000 Pro Bogart v9, Arabesk v7, Render Booster, Canon HF100, Prestige SE v9.1.

Post by MichaelD »

If the Sony records each one to either the left or right channel you could sample the audio (twice) and then copy left and copy right to end up with two separate audio tracks - one of each.
CKNewman
Casablanca Unit: Windows computer with Bogart SE 13.3, Arabesk 7, Audio Effects Pack v1.2b, Motion 3D XL-1 Pack 1, Sentry HD-Backup, Disk Juggler, Power Key, Aspector, Chromit, Effects Pack 8, Effect Pack 9, PiP Studio 3, Time-X, Ultimate Spice Box HD, Slivers, PIP Studio 4 ; Older windows computer with Bogart 8.4, Arabesk 7; Kron Plus with SE 8.3, most Generation 2 software except for CB Paint, Columbus, titling add-ons, and graphics symbols. Various TVs and a Kenner Give-A-Show Projector

Post by CKNewman »

I just read Michael's comment and realized that my post could have been clearer. When I mentioned "with version 8 I can adjust the volume of each track separately when editing" I should have written - I can adjust the volume of the Left and Right channels separately. In this way you have left the original audio intact, meaning that the Bluetooth mic will only come out of one channel and the internal camera mic will only be heard on the other channel. (Always wear headphones to insure that you are hearing the desired audio on each track when recording the event!)

I have not done this, but it looks like you can also take the track where you adjusted the channels and using the Mono effect create a Mono sample. You find audio effects in the Audio Record screen under Special and in the Audio Mix screen under Effects.

I like Michael's suggestion because in the Audio Mix screen you can put both the mono left and mono right channels that you created on the Narration or Effects tracks. From there you can use them to control each others volume by using the volume controls. (Michael, you can jump in any time! :) ) If the wireless mic is on the groom and you wish to bring up his mic and lower the camera mic, then it would be easier to first split the scene of the ceremony at the points where you wish to change the levels of the audio tracks and then proceed with adjustments.

You may want to use an inexpensive small portable MP3 audio recorder as a backup and place it near where the vows will be spoken. (Be sure to take it with you at the end of the ceremony when you pack up!) I'd say you could place it the groom's outside breast pocket but I don't know if it would affect the Bluetooth mic. Good Luck :!:
Craig Newman
elliottsmith

Post by elliottsmith »

Thanks for that, very helpful.Will have a trial before my next wedding in December. Thank goodness for the forum.Cheers chaps.
Kind Regards,
Dave
elliottsmith

Post by elliottsmith »

Hi,
had some great help from Craig Newman on adjusting audio levels on both channels but am still struggling to find how to make it work. I have printed the advice given by Craig but am missing some important click.

I have a kron plus with smartedit 8 but cannot find how to adjust from editing section.
I have done a practice tape and recordered using the camera mike in one channel and the radio mike in the other.I can get them both to play but cannot split the sound to be to be able to raise or lower the level on each one. Help1 This is what happens when you try to be to technical when you are in your seventies.
Any help would be grateful.

Regards,

Dave