A few editing questions on Karat Bogart 5.5

For all questions & tips related to Casablanca video editors.
mvpfrank
Casablanca Unit: Karat Bogart 5.5

A few editing questions on Karat Bogart 5.5

Post by mvpfrank »

My 1st editing project on a Cassie is a wedding. Two camera shoot where I'm inserting clips from cam#2 to cover movement by main camera #1. I've got 3/4 of the way through the ceremony & currently the last remaining clip section in my storyboard is aprox 22 minutes long. It's part of the 60 minute S4 ceremony. I now realize I need to cut out a 30 sec section. How can I do this since it's part of the longer clip already in the storyboard? I'm afraid to hit Remove & have all the sections of S4 removed instead of just the last 22 min section selected.

Also can you restore a already Trimmed clip in the scene bin to it's original length? If so how?

I know there is an Un-Do in the Scene Bin section but don't see one in the Storyboard section. Does a undo exist in the storyboard section?
LouBruno
Casablanca Unit: STUDIO ULTRA ,SAPHIR, MS TRAVEL ..with ALL SOFTWARE, Cassie Travel Laptop PRO- Bogart Windows, MSI APACHE laptop with BOGART and all Current BOGART & Arabesk. Saphir 2.
GLIDECAM HD-2000, I-Pad latest, Sony HX-99..4K still camera

SONY FDR-53 4K,
, SONY FDR AX-700 HDR 4K video camera, GoPro HD2&3, SONY HDR-CX150 small HD pocket camera, SONY AX-53. Panasonic HC-20

Two Samsung BD D5700 Blu-ray players. OPPO 4K player.
JVC DT-V20L1 HDV monitor, All Music2Hues and Digital Hotcakes, Nikon D-80 still camera, NIKON D7100 HDSLR 18-300mm lens, D500 Nikon, 10 professional bicycles, two camels and a donkey :-) ........ Gocycle@gmail.com

Re: A few editing questions on Karat Bogart 5.5

Post by LouBruno »

If I understand correctly try, this an easy one. You have to know how to isolate the SB to make a scene and having it end up as a scene in your scene editing bin. That would be your 22 minute scene only.

So-Make a SCENE of just that area of the SB you want to time adjust and eliminate ...use the scroll button for this process..... DO NOT APPLY 'replace in Storyboard" after your split function is completed.

.your scene is in your scene bin with all your effects,transitions and audio in ONE scene

Now......Make a COPY just in case something gets messed-up. Two duplicates of the SB scene will now appear in your scene bin.

So....Look in your scene bin.....highlight the scene just made.....simply utilize the split function to eliminate the time you want to do away with. Point A in and Point B out ....You will now observe two clips that you need in the scene bin. Why?

Remove the SB portion and replace with the two scenes using transition that works.....try a dissolve. Render

For safety, you always have your copy of the original removal in your scene bin.

IMPORTANT:
However, make sure you did not effect your soundtrack.
mvpfrank

Post by mvpfrank »

Please bear with me. Just so you know I've got over 10 years Linear Editing so I'm only new to the Cassie. Let me restate what I have. The main portion of the ceremony procession through recession is scene S4 aprox 55 min long. I have already inserted 5 clips to cover up a few things. The remaining portion of S4 is 22 minutes long. In the middle of that I had to do a tape change while shooting so I've got to cut out a 30 second section. I can deal with the audio later.

How do I isolate the SB? Is the new scene I'm making done from a copy of the S4 in my scene bin?

Also my last 2 questions I need help on. Thanks Again Lou!
IanPearson
Casablanca Unit: Studio Pro OS B4W V9
S6000 OS Bogart SE V9
Solitaire OS V9.1

Programs:- Most of the standard operating programs.

Post by IanPearson »

Unfortunately I do not have the time to go through all of your questions this evening but, before doing anything I recommend you make a copy of your project to another project and use the copy to make your changes, see below for how to do this. This way you will not risk losing any of your current work.

Copy a Project to Another Project
This enables all or part of the contents of one project to be copied to another project on the same HDD. Although not technically a failsafe backup, since it is on the same HDD, it can be useful to use as a temporary save and restore point in the event of problems or corruption occurring later in the editing process.
1. Select the “Project settings” page
2. Under “Project” click “Select” ensure the project required for copy is selected.
3. Under “Project” click “Copy” which brings up a box asking what should be copied, tick the boxes required or all boxes if the story board, scene bin and audio samples are to be copied. Then click “OK”
4. A window opens showing all the project environments that are unused, select one and click “OK”.
5. An exact copy of the original project will be placed in that project environment and either the original or the copy can be used to continue editing. Name this copied project as appropriate.

Ian
Ian Pearson S6000 Bogart SE7 - Solitaire OS V9.1 - Avio DV Pro OS V9.1
Programs:- Most programs, with the notable exception of CB Paint and Quadcam
Kingston upon Hull. England
mvpfrank

Post by mvpfrank »

Thank you very much Ian, I really appreciate your time! I've got my copy. I tried making a backup of my SB. I didn't have a selection option to the HD & even under low quality it said I didn't have room on a new blank DVD.
LouBruno
Casablanca Unit: STUDIO ULTRA ,SAPHIR, MS TRAVEL ..with ALL SOFTWARE, Cassie Travel Laptop PRO- Bogart Windows, MSI APACHE laptop with BOGART and all Current BOGART & Arabesk. Saphir 2.
GLIDECAM HD-2000, I-Pad latest, Sony HX-99..4K still camera

SONY FDR-53 4K,
, SONY FDR AX-700 HDR 4K video camera, GoPro HD2&3, SONY HDR-CX150 small HD pocket camera, SONY AX-53. Panasonic HC-20

Two Samsung BD D5700 Blu-ray players. OPPO 4K player.
JVC DT-V20L1 HDV monitor, All Music2Hues and Digital Hotcakes, Nikon D-80 still camera, NIKON D7100 HDSLR 18-300mm lens, D500 Nikon, 10 professional bicycles, two camels and a donkey :-) ........ Gocycle@gmail.com

Post by LouBruno »

Non-linear editing allows many ways to get to an a objective.

Yes....you can make a full duplicate and place that in another project

Or

You can use Store N Share a click on that project only...I recommend this the most as it restores everything.

Or

You can save your current project via the Option scene bin project if 5.5 has that feature...choose any lossless codec ....MPEG-2 or even an AVI at the highest quality. Save the storyboard to an ext HDD. But, you will have to make a scene of the entire SB which will result in ONE clip.

I would recommend joiining Chet's tutorial site Casablanca Expert to observe a step by step on how to create a scene within the actual SB. Hard to explain,

Ian is correct as well...you can duplicate your project within another empty project.

As far as your trim.....the trimmed scene in your edit bin still has the entire clip available for trimming ,so you can redo and replace once again to the SB.
Splitting does not do this as a result of the split function.

mvpfrank wrote:Please bear with me. Just so you know I've got over 10 years Linear Editing so I'm only new to the Cassie. Let me restate what I have. The main portion of the ceremony procession through recession is scene S4 aprox 55 min long. I have already inserted 5 clips to cover up a few things. The remaining portion of S4 is 22 minutes long. In the middle of that I had to do a tape change while shooting so I've got to cut out a 30 second section. I can deal with the audio later.

How do I isolate the SB? Is the new scene I'm making done from a copy of the S4 in my scene bin?

Also my last 2 questions I need help on. Thanks Again Lou!
mvpfrank

Post by mvpfrank »

Thanks, I do belong to Chet's group. I have both a hard copy of Bogart 5.5 & a PDF version that is searchable. I spend a lot of time trying to research my issues before I post questions here. I value all input & appreciate any and all help.
IanPearson
Casablanca Unit: Studio Pro OS B4W V9
S6000 OS Bogart SE V9
Solitaire OS V9.1

Programs:- Most of the standard operating programs.

Post by IanPearson »

OK I have a little more time this morning.

Starting with your second question, is your trimmed clip in the scene bin from your current project? If so highlight the scene in the scene bin, select “Trim” and use the “IN” and “OUT” sliders to go back to the original scene length.

Your third question, do you mean undo an effect, e.g. an image process effect added from the storyboard? If so select the processed scene in the storyboard, select “fx” and then “Remove”. If any effect has been added in the scene bin via “Special” e.g. “Backwards”, this cannot be removed in the storyboard, since it is a new scene with the effect melded in. You can of course replace the melded scene with the original from the scene bin. Similarly you can remove a transition effect in the storyboard.

Your first question, Lou has given you an option, here is another to consider.
Make a scene of your whole 55min storyboard, by selecting the first scene in the storyboard – select “fx”, Image Processing on the bottom right – “Scene” – “Range” - “OK” and scroll the “OUT” to the very end, 55m in your case.

This places a scene of the storyboard in your scene bin, complete with inserts, etc. name it say (Story B). Select this scene and then “Split” – “Split positon” and scroll to the frame immediately before the 30s you wish to remove and click “Use”. Click “Split position” again and scroll to the last frame of the 30s section you do not want and click “Drop”. Next click “Split position” and scroll to the very end – “Use”.

You will now have two scenes in the scene bin (Story B.1) and (Story B.2). “Add” these to the Storyboard and remove all the previous scenes in the storyboard and carry on editing the last 22min.
Ian Pearson S6000 Bogart SE7 - Solitaire OS V9.1 - Avio DV Pro OS V9.1
Programs:- Most programs, with the notable exception of CB Paint and Quadcam
Kingston upon Hull. England