Aspect Ratio issues

For all questions & tips related to Casablanca video editors.
Christopher6206
Casablanca Unit: Travel 2 running Win Bogart 12. Karat, running Bogart 10.6, S-4000pro running Bogart 5.5c, Render Booster

Aspect Ratio issues

Post by Christopher6206 »

Hello! I have a client who brought me a DVD in what he thought was a 4X3 aspect ratio. I already had a 16x9 project of his loaded on the computer and so when I put the disc in and started looking at it on the record screen, (yes I know, not the greatest idea, loading a DVD onto the Cassie with RCA cables, but it's all he had) it looked perfectly fine in 16X9. SO he thought maybe his computer was just playing it weird. Anyway, we worked through the video and made our edits, and then I went to output it to a USB stick as an.mp4. Once the file was done, I loaded it onto my PC and played the file and it played in 4x3 aspect ratio. I then looked at the original DVD on a TV and indeed it was in 4X3, but I could tell the footage was squished on screen, meaning that originally it was 16x9 and whoever made the disc, made it in the wrong aspect ratio.

I already tried using Cine Converter. 4X3 to 16X9. That made an .mp4 in a squished 4x3 aspect ratio. Which I thought was strange. And sure if your TV is set to 16X9 it will play correctly no matter what. But on a computer it can't look right. Are there any other options out there? On the Cassie or otherwise? I thought I remembered an effect called "Stretch" somewhere on my machine but I can't find it. Probably thinking of some other computer program. Thanks for any help.
Chris Crawford
Travel 2, running Bogart 12, All software
Karat with Bogart 10.3 , Arabesk 7
S-4000 Pro with Bogart 5.5c, Render Booster, most software
Panasonic AG-AC 160, Sony NEX-VG900, Sony NXCAM - NX30U
Cannon XF-705
LouBruno
Casablanca Unit: STUDIO ULTRA ,SAPHIR, MS TRAVEL ..with ALL SOFTWARE, Cassie Travel Laptop PRO- Bogart Windows, MSI APACHE laptop with BOGART and all Current BOGART & Arabesk. Saphir 2.
GLIDECAM HD-2000, I-Pad latest, Sony HX-99..4K still camera

SONY FDR-53 4K,
, SONY FDR AX-700 HDR 4K video camera, GoPro HD2&3, SONY HDR-CX150 small HD pocket camera, SONY AX-53. Panasonic HC-20

Two Samsung BD D5700 Blu-ray players. OPPO 4K player.
JVC DT-V20L1 HDV monitor, All Music2Hues and Digital Hotcakes, Nikon D-80 still camera, NIKON D7100 HDSLR 18-300mm lens, D500 Nikon, 10 professional bicycles, two camels and a donkey :-) ........ Gocycle@gmail.com

Re: Aspect Ratio issues

Post by LouBruno »

Purchase ASPECTOR. Allows adjustments. Watch the DEMO on the MS site and see if it is helpful.
Christopher6206
Casablanca Unit: Travel 2 running Win Bogart 12. Karat, running Bogart 10.6, S-4000pro running Bogart 5.5c, Render Booster

Re: Aspect Ratio issues

Post by Christopher6206 »

Thanks Lou. It's interesting, in the end all I had to do was import the completed video into a 1920 x 1080 project. It had to do the conversion from DV to HDV but after that all was well. Certainly not ideal but he was happy with it.
Chris Crawford
Travel 2, running Bogart 12, All software
Karat with Bogart 10.3 , Arabesk 7
S-4000 Pro with Bogart 5.5c, Render Booster, most software
Panasonic AG-AC 160, Sony NEX-VG900, Sony NXCAM - NX30U
Cannon XF-705