export video media player back to kron by firewire

For all questions & tips related to Casablanca video editors.
elliottsmith
Casablanca Unit: kron plus

export video media player back to kron by firewire

Post by elliottsmith »

Hi All.

I have bought a small video camera and it downloads to my laptop on windows media player.I now want to send the video back to my Kron using firewire.My laptop has accepted the Kron but do not know how to sync it for transfer.
Could I download it to my Kron using USB and would it come with a selection to scene split.

Hope you can help.
Regards,

Dave Smith
MichaelD
Casablanca Unit: Saphir B4W v9, S4000 Pro Bogart v9, Arabesk v7, Render Booster, Canon HF100, Prestige SE v9.1.

Re: export video media player back to kron by firewire

Post by MichaelD »

Your Kron won't accept a USB signal.

You may even have trouble with the Kron seeing theFirewire signal from the Laptop - this function seemed to come and go throughout various versions of Smart Edit :o
As both units are considered to be 'masters' and the normal set up is from a camcorder, 'slave', they may not wish to talk to each other.

So, best thing to try is connect the two together, make sure one of them is off so as not to cause an issue, and then with both units on select record with the Kron and play the file on the PC and see if it records. You may have to set the PC to export or similar for it to output to the DV socket - I don't know.
elliottsmith
Casablanca Unit: kron plus

connecting an ethernet cable from kron to a laptop

Post by elliottsmith »

I want to connect my kron through ethernet to my laptop as shown on the last few pages of the kron manual.According to a computer expert I know, when I connect the cable it should up on windows explorer but cannot make conntact.
I have tried to connect through an Ip address still without success. I have spoken to Micheal Dyson and he has suggested it was a bit flaky,bur cannot understand why the instructions insist it can be done.I am sure one of you tech people could give me an idea what is going wrong.
I am trying to be able to send video from MOVAVI converstion program in AVI from MOV to edit on the kron.
I could buy a different machine but have not got the funds at the moment,so any advice would be a great help.

Thanks,

Dave Smith
MichaelD
Casablanca Unit: Saphir B4W v9, S4000 Pro Bogart v9, Arabesk v7, Render Booster, Canon HF100, Prestige SE v9.1.

Post by MichaelD »

Did you try with the "correct" ethernet cable. You need to try it with 'crossover' not 'patch' one;

"An Ethernet crossover cable is a crossover cable for Ethernet used to connect computing devices together directly. It is most often used to connect two devices of the same type: e.g. two computers (via their network interface controllers) or two switches to each other. By contrast, patch cables or straight through cables are used to connect devices of different types, such as a computer to a network switch or Ethernet hub."

I still only really think that this is useful for pictures and is not really up to transferring video files.
CKNewman
Casablanca Unit: Windows computer with Bogart SE 13.3, Arabesk 7, Audio Effects Pack v1.2b, Motion 3D XL-1 Pack 1, Sentry HD-Backup, Disk Juggler, Power Key, Aspector, Chromit, Effects Pack 8, Effect Pack 9, PiP Studio 3, Time-X, Ultimate Spice Box HD, Slivers, PIP Studio 4 ; Older windows computer with Bogart 8.4, Arabesk 7; Kron Plus with SE 8.3, most Generation 2 software except for CB Paint, Columbus, titling add-ons, and graphics symbols. Various TVs and a Kenner Give-A-Show Projector

Post by CKNewman »

I'm not sure how well the ethernet connection worked when it was first released. Some of the problems were fixed later on but not much was said about it. I did find information in chapter 9 of the Smart Edit 7 manual - I would suggest you take a look at it.

Your Kron Plus was designed to edit in SD and released in 2003; HDV and HD will take more time - a lot more time. The Kron Plus was released in 2003. You haven't given us any information about your new camera, but if your recording was done in SD then you have the option of using a program called Disc Transfer. This add-on program uses DVDs to record AVI files up to 20 minutes in length. The Smart Edit version will not work with HD footage. Dalco may be able to help you out with this. http://www.dalco.co.uk/

If your camera has an A/V output you may be able to play footage directly from the camera into your Kron Plus via the composite video and audio inputs. If it has an HDMI output you may be able to purchase an HDMI to Analog converter to send the signal to your editor. You may also be able to use this to go from your laptop to the Kron. Lastly, if your laptop has a vga output you may be able to use a vga to analog converter to get the video into your Kron.

I don't know how much you keep up with Casablanca developments, but the operating system has been ported (written to run on another platform) to PC - Windows computers. It is worth taking a look at.

Today's Windows computers are faster and more powerful than the Smart Edit machines. I started with an Avio, then the Kron Plus, and now use Bogart for Windows. It is quite similar to Smart Edit and is designed to work with HD video. If your laptop is fast enough you may want to consider moving in this direction. There are videos posted in the internet that demonstrate its capabilities. If its something you would consider you should ask your dealer and make sure that your laptop is new enough and fast enough to run the software.

I still have my Kron Plus; at this time I use it mostly when I want to transfer analog music on record or audio cassette to a CD.

Let us know how you solve this one! :)
Craig Newman