Line in audio clip from audio mix menu

For all questions & tips related to Casablanca video editors.
Christopher6206
Casablanca Unit: Travel 2 running Win Bogart 12. Karat, running Bogart 10.6, S-4000pro running Bogart 5.5c, Render Booster

Line in audio clip from audio mix menu

Post by Christopher6206 »

I recently finished a video that was selling as a digital download when I started getting messages that the download was not working. Or that the download would work but then be unplayable. This is a large file at 7.5 GB and I'm using dropbox.com as the go between. I downloaded the file myself and it was unplayable. This was several weeks ago and it's possible I didn't check the playability of the file before uploading but that doesn't sound like me. I'm certain I played it once created just to test it out. But who knows. The downloaded file as well as the copy saved on my computer would not play. Checking the details in the properties payne it shows a file of 7.5 GB but if you look at the details, they are all blank. No data bit rates, running time or anything. I've seen this before. Don't know why it happens but when it does the file is always unplayable. I start looking through the storyboard and everything looks and sounds ok. I look at the audio mix menu and of the 4 audio tracks inserted one of them has what looks like a vertical line going through it at the spot where the first scene fades up from black. Looking at it closer, it appears to just be a piece of audio that is missing. My audio tracks are blue and the background is gray so it looks like a gray line but really it's just the blue is gone and I see the background gray showing through. First I tried removing the audio, changed projects, came back and reinserted the audio at the same point. Using position in the range menu I positioned the audio to the exact same spot. Click by click, frame by frame, the line was not coming back. As soon as I got to the correct spot, the line came back. If I went one frame ahead or behind the line would disappear. This happened in whatever audio track I was using, locked and unlocked tracks. I tried about 4 different ones. I ended up leaving the audio clip in the correct spot, with the line showing, and trimmed the clip from the beginning until I was past that spot with the line, and then it went away.

1. What is this line? Is it an indication of corruption in the audio file? Is there audio "missing"?

2. If it is corruption why does the line only show up in this one particular spot?

3. Is this the cause of the corrupted .mp4 file?

4. Could the file have become corrupted after I created it and played it with success?

Presently trying to backup another .mp4 copy, low quality, using backup storyboard in the projects menu (with render booster). It's not working. Suggestions and answers are appreciated. Thanks.
Chris Crawford
Travel 2, running Bogart 12, All software
Karat with Bogart 10.3 , Arabesk 7
S-4000 Pro with Bogart 5.5c, Render Booster, most software
Panasonic AG-AC 160, Sony NEX-VG900, Sony NXCAM - NX30U
Cannon XF-705
mhuebmer
Casablanca Unit: Casablanca-4 Saphir (i7-6700k)+ NVidia 1050T
StudioPro + NVidia 1050Ti
Casablanca-4 piccolo
Karat, S-4100, DVC-3000
Displays: 32" 1920x1080p50 + 40" 3840x2160p50

Re: Line in audio clip from audio mix menu

Post by mhuebmer »

• A file can be corrupted when uploading - getting damaged on the server - and get damaged when downloading. I would recommend to zip the videofile. When downloading and extracting, the operating system will give you a warning when the downloaded file has been damaged. Otherwise you would need to play and watch the whole movie after the download. And also a customer will get an instant message, if the download is damaged.
  • What this grey line really is, is hard to tell. Could be some kind of damage at the Storyboard. But could also be just a display issue at a certain audio setting. As long and the Storyboard plays correct and the export plays correct, I would ignore this.
  • If your signature is up to date, your Bogart version is not. :? Please update to the latest Bogart 10.3a, included for free when running the latest installation :!: There were many fixes for the audio part on the way from 10.1, 10.2, 10.3 and 10.3a. :idea:
  • A file that has been created with the RenderBooster is highly compressed and not suitable for re-importing. Please use your Backup of the project if you need to re-edit something.
bethklinger
Casablanca Unit: Bogart 4 Windows only! B4W in Casablanca Studio Ultra i7 6700K Intel (R) HD Graphics 530 (31.101.2111), NVIDIA GForce GTX1060 (30.0.15.1694) 6GB, Photopia Creator, Premiere Pro, Photoshop CS6, 2 Lumix G85 DSLR, 1 Lumix G9 DSLR, 2 Vizio 1920x1080 P 42" 4K monitor. LG Ultra HD BR Player UBK 80, LG HD BR Player & Power DVD 21.

Post by bethklinger »

Christopher6206 wrote:audio tracks inserted one of them has what looks like a vertical line going through it.
I have seen this too (I use a lot of downloadable, "free" music) and have found that re-loading the file and/or trimming the file has taken care of it. I have assumed it was something that happened in the download. I've made a habit of checking through my audio before burning.
Beth Klinger
Christopher6206
Casablanca Unit: Travel 2 running Win Bogart 12. Karat, running Bogart 10.6, S-4000pro running Bogart 5.5c, Render Booster

Post by Christopher6206 »

Thanks for the feedback. I wasn't aware of Bogart 10.3. I will update soon. I tried a couple of more times to render the .mp4 with backup storyboard but it just wouldn't do it. I guess it's too big. Backing it up to the archives worked and I should be able to make an .mp4 from there in media mngr.
Chris Crawford
Travel 2, running Bogart 12, All software
Karat with Bogart 10.3 , Arabesk 7
S-4000 Pro with Bogart 5.5c, Render Booster, most software
Panasonic AG-AC 160, Sony NEX-VG900, Sony NXCAM - NX30U
Cannon XF-705
mhuebmer
Casablanca Unit: Casablanca-4 Saphir (i7-6700k)+ NVidia 1050T
StudioPro + NVidia 1050Ti
Casablanca-4 piccolo
Karat, S-4100, DVC-3000
Displays: 32" 1920x1080p50 + 40" 3840x2160p50

Post by mhuebmer »

Christopher6206 wrote:render the .mp4 with backup storyboard
The Backup Storyboard in die 'Project' menu was used until Bogart 6. Since Bogart 7 this part has not been touched any more. Please use the 'Export' button in the main menu (right above Arabesk) to export the storyboard. MP4 file extension is only possible with the RenderBooster. This external part should always be set to the lowest quality. Otherwise transfer to the MediaManager (without MPEG-Conversion) and exporting it as PC-File MP4 should also work.

But please keen in mind, that harddrives or USB devices with FAT32 filesystem can only store files up to 4 GB. For a 7.5 GB export the target device must use NTFS filesystem :!: Maybe this was the problem?