Quality of Fonts on Video - S3000

For all questions & tips related to Casablanca video editors.
lcvideo
Casablanca Unit: S-3000

Quality of Fonts on Video - S3000

Post by lcvideo »

Hello,

I've been using Cassies for over 12 years and for most videos, the font styles I've used looked OK. Bold styles, shadows, etc.

This past week, I was working on a project that needed more thin, simple fonts. However, when I added them (I tried a lot of different ones), they just look pixilated and of very low quality. It doesn't make any difference how I create the project as far as SD or HD. The video clips look beautiful, but the fonts do not. I don't want to add outlines or shadows to make the fonts look "bolder." (And even when I do with the fonts I was trying, they still looked bad).

My display is connected via HDMI to the S3000 and running at 1080p.

Am I missing something?

Thanks.

Lee
Lee
Lee Cornell
LC Video Productions
CKNewman
Casablanca Unit: Windows computer with Bogart SE 13.3, Arabesk 7, Audio Effects Pack v1.2b, Motion 3D XL-1 Pack 1, Sentry HD-Backup, Disk Juggler, Power Key, Aspector, Chromit, Effects Pack 8, Effect Pack 9, PiP Studio 3, Time-X, Ultimate Spice Box HD, Slivers, PIP Studio 4 ; Older windows computer with Bogart 8.4, Arabesk 7; Kron Plus with SE 8.3, most Generation 2 software except for CB Paint, Columbus, titling add-ons, and graphics symbols. Various TVs and a Kenner Give-A-Show Projector

Re: Quality of Fonts on Video - S3000

Post by CKNewman »

Not all fonts lend themselves well to video titling. I think you're describing the appearance of "stair-stepping" or "aliasing". I'm not sure what version of the Bogart OS saw the introduction of the feature "Smoothing" to the basic titler, but if your version has it you might want to experiment with it. It helps to smooth the appearance of text.

An outline or shadow may be subtly manipulated to help improve the appearance of your text. If your font color is black try adding a two point outline or shadow of a dark gray and lowering the outline or shadow color's alpha value so that it gradually starts becoming transparent. Experiment and see if it helps.

Turn on Smoothing. In Bogart 11.1 you'll find it in the Titler in Style section under Shadow and also to the right of it next to Italic. This helps to achieve some smoothing, also known as "anti-aliasing".

You don’t say in what form you are going to deliver your video. Standard DVD, Blue-Ray, streamed? If you are going to compress it, the fonts might appear smoother. You are perhaps a couple of feet away from your editing monitor. Will you audience be watching it on their computer monitors at a similar distance or on a tv in their living room?

It would help if you would add the version of Bogart and Arabesk you are using to your profile.

Let us know if you try any of the above and how it’s working out. Good luck!
Craig Newman