Question on .mts file back up

For all questions & tips related to Casablanca video editors.
Christopher6206
Casablanca Unit: Travel 2 running Win Bogart 12. Karat, running Bogart 10.6, S-4000pro running Bogart 5.5c, Render Booster

Question on .mts file back up

Post by Christopher6206 »

Hello! I made a back up sometime ago of a storyboard I made in Bogart on my S-4000 pro. I new I was going to re install the OS and that it would be deleted. I believe I used back up story board option and set the format to .MTS. I got a back up completed with a .mts file extension. I just got a new Travel 2 and I imported the file into it. Which worked fine. But I decided to look at the properties of the .MTS file and I noticed it has a bit rate of 823 kbps. I was under the impression that a .MTS back up of a storyboard would be close to the original footage used to edit the storyboard. Which at the time was around 21 mbps. A back up in .AVI could have given me a file at 30 mbps and a DV back up a little less. But I thought .MTS was the best. The files that were imported to make the footage were 21 mbps. Also the project was in 30P, and the back up is in 60i. So I guess I'm not understanding how the back up works on this 10 year old machine. Any thoughts are appreciated. Thanks.
Chris Crawford
Travel 2, running Bogart 12, All software
Karat with Bogart 10.3 , Arabesk 7
S-4000 Pro with Bogart 5.5c, Render Booster, most software
Panasonic AG-AC 160, Sony NEX-VG900, Sony NXCAM - NX30U
Cannon XF-705
mhuebmer
Casablanca Unit: Casablanca-4 Saphir (i7-6700k)+ NVidia 1050T
StudioPro + NVidia 1050Ti
Casablanca-4 piccolo
Karat, S-4100, DVC-3000
Displays: 32" 1920x1080p50 + 40" 3840x2160p50

Re: Question on .mts file back up

Post by mhuebmer »

Unfortunately the software version of that "backup" was missing. But the Bogart v5 manual says:
In ‘HDV’ projects, you can also use the ‘MTS’ mode. This stores projects in ‘MTS’ format for play back on other compatible systems.
The function ‘Restore storyboard’ makes it possible to load the previously saved DV footage Storyboard back into the system.
So,the MTS Export is no actual backup that can be restored without loss of quality :!: :?
  • For a 1:1 backup in Bogart 1-5, the optional HD-Backup software was needed.
  • Since Bogart 6 and higher, there is a "Save AV-Data" and "Read AV-Data" implemented into Bogart to do lossless backups of raw footage. For complete Storyboard backups with effects, inserts and audio mix, the HD-Backup Sentry software can be used.
  • Only HD-Backup Senty can store Casablanca-3 (S4000 - Karat) projects in a format that Casablanca-4 / Bogart Windows can restore completely 1:1 :!:
Christopher6206
Casablanca Unit: Travel 2 running Win Bogart 12. Karat, running Bogart 10.6, S-4000pro running Bogart 5.5c, Render Booster

Re: Question on .mts file back up

Post by Christopher6206 »

thanks for the response. The project I was backing up was not of extreme importance. I was trying to do it quick. Is there a manual or breakdown somewhere of how Macrosystem handles compression? If I use "blank" bit rate I can expect a bit rate of (blank.mbps) for the final product?
Chris Crawford
Travel 2, running Bogart 12, All software
Karat with Bogart 10.3 , Arabesk 7
S-4000 Pro with Bogart 5.5c, Render Booster, most software
Panasonic AG-AC 160, Sony NEX-VG900, Sony NXCAM - NX30U
Cannon XF-705