Resurrecting Casablanca Avio

For all questions & tips related to Casablanca video editors.
Scullion
Casablanca Unit: Casablanca Ver 1.6
Serial No. 0205202-7

Resurrecting Casablanca Avio

Post by Scullion »

I brought my old (c. 2000) Casablanca Avio out of the attic, and I plan to copy a bunch of old camcorder and VHS tapes to DVD. However, I have done something wrong (messing with the hard drive) and now I no longer have an operating system. When I last checked I had a system version 1.8.XX on it. Now it requires a memory card every time I start it. The only memory card I have is marked version 1.6 .
Two questions: any way I can find and purchase a card with version 1.8, and second how can I put either version on to my hard disk instead of using the card every time I turn it on. I know this is a long shot, but thought I'd ask.
I have had a lot of joy using this editor in the past, and with "sheltering in place" now I have time to see if I can still make some videos for friends. At a minimum I will use the 1.6 card and continue to have fun with this box. Thanks, guys, for hours of pleasure.

Any ideas?
mhuebmer
Casablanca Unit: Casablanca-4 Saphir (i7-6700k)+ NVidia 1050T
StudioPro + NVidia 1050Ti
Casablanca-4 piccolo
Karat, S-4100, DVC-3000
Displays: 32" 1920x1080p50 + 40" 3840x2160p50

Re: Resurrecting Casablanca Avio

Post by mhuebmer »

Strange...
  • As far as I remember, support for DVD creation with the Arabesk software was applied with Avio system software v1.10. Prior to this, only Kron could burn DVD's.
  • For the serial number 205202-7, the German database has only system software v1.x, Bonus-FX and BlueBox active. This unit has no Arabesk active for DVD authoring. :shock:
  • Even the system has USB ports, exporting any video to USB drives is not possible with Casablanca-2 systems :!:
  • If the system is currently not starting... is there any error number displayed in the upper corner :?:
  • Have you tried to boot from your SmartMedia card to see if v1.6 is really on it :?: Maybe the card has been updated to v1.10 earlier, without changing the version on the label.
New SmartMedia Cards can't be written by any PC today. This was a very special technique those days. :oops:
If MacroSystem Americas still has an ancient Distributor Avio, there is a chance to update your card to Avio v1.10a Contact information is HERE.

But I would recommend to take a look at Avio's 'grandson', Bogart for Windows. The Bogart Windows 7.2 Basic version is usable for 30 days, rendering a small watermark onto the export. It's functions should be quite equal to the Avio, so you will be able to edit right away. Newer versions (currently Bogart v11) are far more complex. But there is a VHS->USB converter available to capture the old tapes and export as AVI or MP4 video. Would be better than creating DVD's there days.
Scullion
Casablanca Unit: Casablanca Ver 1.6
Serial No. 0205202-7

Re: Resurrecting Casablanca Avio

Post by Scullion »

Thanks for your response.
I checked; the system, after boot up, is 1.6.

I am outputting to a Sony Multifunction DVD recorder VRD-MC6. It takes video/audio in and burns a DVD.
Seems to work; the disks play on a DVD player I have hooked up.
And now that I have gotten used to the ins-and-outs of the Avio controls again I seem to be doing okay. Tedious work, tho, waiting for the rendering. But I'm getting usable DVDs.
This is really "make-work" to give me something to occupy my mind and time, and to finally get rid of these old camcorder tapes. So, not really worth spending the money on a Bogart. All of this gear was in the attic because I no longer do video editing. Just thought I'd check and see if a system update was available.
Again, thanks for responding and your interest.
Joe