upgrade

A place for Cassie Users to socialize and relax.
Beachy
Casablanca Unit: Avio/DVD. Ver.9.1 candy factory, DVD Arabesk V4.1. Effects packs 5 6 7 8 particle magic,Pip-studio V1.0 and a Very, very old reliable, Avio 3.6c.
Cameras.CannonXL1, Sony DCR-TVR950E, Sony DSR-PD150P

upgrade

Post by Beachy »

I must say how pleased I am that I took advice and upgraded my Old "Aviosuarus Rex"
to a used Avio DVD !! Its so handy that it locks up every 30mins, so I have to switch off/On again This give me time to make a cup of tea!! i never had this wonderful feature on the old Avio, neither was the old Avio so bloody slow!! nor was the split "juddery" Ahhhhh modern technology is such a great thing, Do you know what? I may just go back to my 'ole Avio :cry:
Beachy
AKA Lord Sherrington
CKNewman
Casablanca Unit: Windows computer with Bogart SE 13.3, Arabesk 7, Audio Effects Pack v1.2b, Motion 3D XL-1 Pack 1, Sentry HD-Backup, Disk Juggler, Power Key, Aspector, Chromit, Effects Pack 8, Effect Pack 9, PiP Studio 3, Time-X, Ultimate Spice Box HD, Slivers, PIP Studio 4 ; Older windows computer with Bogart 8.4, Arabesk 7; Kron Plus with SE 8.3, most Generation 2 software except for CB Paint, Columbus, titling add-ons, and graphics symbols. Various TVs and a Kenner Give-A-Show Projector

Re: upgrade

Post by CKNewman »

I'm sorry you're not exactly ecstatic about your Avio DVD. You may want to consider taking or sending it to a dealer over there like Martyn to have a look at it. It could be a hardware issue such as an intermittent connection or an older hard drive that is developing problems.

Remember that in order to grow video projects with your Avio you need to make sure that -

1) It's getting plenty of good, steady AC voltage. This can be achieved by using an uninterruptible power supply with AVR (automatic voltage regulation), the type used with computers.

2) It's getting plenty of fresh air (to keep its operating temperature down). If air can't circulate freely about the unit then the higher operating temperature that results can cause system instability.

3) Sometimes clicking on different buttons in very rapid succession can cause the system to lock up.

Tip: If you experiment with different transitions and image processing effects, switch to a different project and then back again every so often. This saves your changes to the project and seems to clear out stray commands and other "digital dust".

Is the DV (firewire interface) enabled on your machine? Have you tried importing and editing footage from different cameras with different playback decks or cameras? Remember that if you are using the firewire interface then both units should be off while you are physically connecting the cable.
Craig Newman
Charles
Casablanca Unit: S6000 Effects 1,2,3,5,7,8 Blue Box World,
Arabesk 6.0a , Bogart 5.5c Disc Transfer 1.2

Post by Charles »

Hi John
Glad to see you back having a good ole moan :) try a full install it might help if not it has given you something to do :)

Hope your treatment has gone well ? I've some bad news your entry for the Film Fest must have gone astray in the post,better luck next time ;)
Regards
Charles
Beachy
Casablanca Unit: Avio/DVD. Ver.9.1 candy factory, DVD Arabesk V4.1. Effects packs 5 6 7 8 particle magic,Pip-studio V1.0 and a Very, very old reliable, Avio 3.6c.

Post by Beachy »

You cant trust the post office anymore :D The machine has been back to martyn.
It still seems to be that the tech boys race ahead with new this new that, instead of getting one system right...this has gone on for years with the Avio and maybe all other methods of editing as well, Change for change sake has always annoyed me. One of the reasons i dont come on the BB so often is the "List" of options and with all of them hardly ever used!! we could go to one bullitin board so we dont miss anything and get the old comeraderie we once had, back. But then i couldnt have a moan then could I :D
Hope you are all well..best wishes...beachy
Beachy
AKA Lord Sherrington
CKNewman
Casablanca Unit: Windows computer with Bogart SE 13.3, Arabesk 7, Audio Effects Pack v1.2b, Motion 3D XL-1 Pack 1, Sentry HD-Backup, Disk Juggler, Power Key, Aspector, Chromit, Effects Pack 8, Effect Pack 9, PiP Studio 3, Time-X, Ultimate Spice Box HD, Slivers, PIP Studio 4 ; Older windows computer with Bogart 8.4, Arabesk 7; Kron Plus with SE 8.3, most Generation 2 software except for CB Paint, Columbus, titling add-ons, and graphics symbols. Various TVs and a Kenner Give-A-Show Projector

Post by CKNewman »

What is "juddery"? My comments on the firewire interface were in response to this word and that the problem might be related to the stability of the signal when you imported the footage.

Was Martyn able to diagnose the problem?
Craig Newman
Beachy

Post by Beachy »

When I am scrolling thro' the scene bin with Split, on the old avio it was a smooooth roll through,
On this machine it, judders!! stutters! seems to jump a lot of frames unless you go verrry carefully, It doesnt Roll smoothly. I down load with firewire and i have also done it svhs..... still does it???? john
Beachy
AKA Lord Sherrington
CKNewman

Post by CKNewman »

It sounds like it could be the trackball misbehaving due to a combination of dust, dirty contacts, and wear and tear.

You may be able to compensate for this by going into System Settings -> Trackball and changing the speed to Slow. Have you tried to clean the trackball? Have you tried using the trackball from your old Avio with the new machine? Can you borrow a trackball from someone's Cassie that doesn't have that problem?
Craig Newman
Beachy

Post by Beachy »

Thanks for trying to help CK, the slow did help but i am so used to normal on all the other work that I think i will suffer the problem, cleaned track ball and used an old one...no difference...john
Beachy
AKA Lord Sherrington
IanPearson
Casablanca Unit: Studio Pro OS B4W V9
S6000 OS Bogart SE V9
Solitaire OS V9.1

Programs:- Most of the standard operating programs.

Post by IanPearson »

John
It might just be the operator, suggest you take more water with it. ;)

Ian
Ian Pearson S6000 Bogart SE7 - Solitaire OS V9.1 - Avio DV Pro OS V9.1
Programs:- Most programs, with the notable exception of CB Paint and Quadcam
Kingston upon Hull. England
jimmeeker
Casablanca Unit: Avio, Solitaire, with OS 9.1 and S-6000 with Bogart 5 & all software

Post by jimmeeker »

Hello,

What a wonderful thing.....to see a posting from Beachy. I have been concerned that we haven't heard anything from our favorite AVIOSAURUS driver for some time now. Hopefully, this message outlining "Juddering" ( a term I'm not at all familiar with) in the AVIO DV shows the old spark of wit and humor is still there. Welcome back old friend. We have all missed you and hope that your health is improving.

WE had a successful "March Get Together" this year even though it was attended by fewer folks as the world economy has gone to Heck in a hand basket. They were all entusiastic and loved the fine programs and speakers we had lined up for them. This year we added Two more of Chet Davis's "Workshops" the MGT. Chet put on a two day hands on workshop before the MGT and an "Advanced Workshop" after the convention was over. So we had the best of both worlds, learning directly from the Casablanca Expert, and then the convention itself which has always been four days of learning from Cassie users. The March Get Together has always been put on for users by users.

John, I have booked the hotel again for next March for the 7th Annual MGT....( I can't believe we've been doing this for seven years now) It'll be March 7th through the 10th, with Chet' s workshops on the 6th and 7th and then the advance class afterwards on the 11th and 12th of March. I hope you will be feeling well enough to pay us visit next Spring.
Jim Meeker
The Old Timer

Founder of the
"March Get Together"

We Remember
12-7-41 and 9-11-01
Milan, Illinois
S-6000 w/Bogart 5 /Solitaire, Avio DVD / All Software OS 9.1/ Panasonic HMC150p AVCHD Camcorder