best bluray disc for S6000 ?

Disc authoring in your Casablanca
stonepatterson
Casablanca Unit: S6000 (40 software pkgs. from AkabaHD to Twixter) 2 OLD firewire Casablanca Classics (fully-loaded). Hoping eventually for the perfect camera (sometime before I die of old age). Sony 96GB HDR-PJ790. Several lighting & audio recording systems. A very old, 2006 MacPro tower 4TB hard drive & 30GB memory. More LCD monitors, TVs, tripods and misc. equipment then I want to admit to.

best bluray disc for S6000 ?

Post by stonepatterson »

Just took the plunge, upgraded from S4000Pro to S6000. Will be adding a Canon XF300 in the near future (based upon comments on this forum and elsewhere).

This question may have been asked before, I apoligize in advance.

1) What is the best, blank BluRay disc for use (replication) with the S6000?

2) Best price & location for that purchase?

3) How wide of use can that disc be on current BluRay players and systems?

4) How often do they become toasters?

Thanks. Is a big jump for me to move from Dvcam (since 1998) to a 1920 X 1080 format, just want to see the bottom before my feet hit earth. Hi-8 (in the 90's) to DVcam wasn't a hard transition, just expensive!
SYLRENAUD
Casablanca Unit: 2/S4100 1/S6000 Bogart SE 5, Arabesk 5
most all of the software on all 3 units.
We shoot everything with HDSLR's.
Four Canon 5d mark II and one 7d.

Re: best bluray disc for S6000 ?

Post by SYLRENAUD »

Here is the BluRay info.

http://www.yourtechnologytutor.com/casa ... aExpert%29

for players Chet has a list on his site.

Also careful with the XF300 I use to own one. The camera is so sharp that you have to dial down the sharpness in the camera to avoid _very annoying_ shimmering issues
using Arabesk which in my opinion defeats the purpose of getting that camera in the first place. Again this is just my opinion.
I suggest you do some testing first to get something acceptable in your eyes before shooting something for a client.

Cheers

Syl
stonepatterson
Casablanca Unit: S6000 (40 software pkgs. from AkabaHD to Twixter) 2 OLD firewire Casablanca Classics (fully-loaded). Hoping eventually for the perfect camera (sometime before I die of old age). Sony 96GB HDR-PJ790. Several lighting & audio recording systems. A very old, 2006 MacPro tower 4TB hard drive & 30GB memory. More LCD monitors, TVs, tripods and misc. equipment then I want to admit to.

Post by stonepatterson »

SYLRENAUD,

Thanks for the reply so quickly. I forgot to also ask... 5) Are there any blank BluRay discs that fit all the above that are inkjet (or water proof inkjet) printable?

Since you brought it up... the XF300... I was leaning towards a PMW EX3 (even watched a DVD purchased from Mr. Foster -- from these threads).

I was looking at a camera with 50 Mbps... that would use inexpensive Compact Flash Memory Cards.

What camera(s) would you recommend that could give me the best (and sharpest for enlarging to big screen via projector as well as BluRay replication) for a quality, indie 'film' look without going into DSLR based cameras or spending over $10,000.00? The RED is way out of my range... Large format is interesting, but I am video (3-chip) based not DSLR. Besides http://www.luminous-landscape.com/revie ... -cam.shtml put in a nut shell, kind of too many negatives for me. I am a current DVcam, past Hi-8 and way back when, a 16 mm Bolex and Filmo (Bell & Howell turret 3 lens user back in the 60's).

Feel free to E-mail me any info or suggestions. I do not want to end up with a camera I can't use for making moderate budgeted movies (thats 'stone' speak for high-quality looking no-budgeted films).

Thanks. I am not one who knows it all. At 61, I learn mountains every day.
SYLRENAUD
Casablanca Unit: 2/S4100 1/S6000 Bogart SE 5, Arabesk 5
most all of the software on all 3 units.
We shoot everything with HDSLR's.
Four Canon 5d mark II and one 7d.

Post by SYLRENAUD »

Blu-ray ink jet thats a good question ! I shoot everything in HD and I have gotten no requests for Blu-ray ??
Clients are satisfied with the down convert to SD from 1080p HDSLR the look is quite stunning actually.
I think Blu-ray will die soon and I will deliver my wedding films on a card in true 1080p just my opinion (can't wait for that)
I am not a tech nut or expert... all I know is even at 40mpbs from my 5D's I don't get the shimmering issues I
was getting with the XF300 + matching the look to the 5D's was difficult. In the end it became a 7K audio recorder.
So I sold it, bought H4n Zoom digital audio recorders and got another 5D & more lenses...
as you probably know I can't say enough about the gorgeous look I get from this camera. Very addictive
and couldn't care less about the workarounds. I don't think these guys care as well
http://philipbloom.net/2010/05/12/redtails/ the point being I don't focus on the limitations but
rather the positives of HDSLR's. It is a very affordable way of attaining that film look.
Results is what counts !

If HDSLR's are not for you...
then I would lean toward the Canon C300 or something like that. (way too expensive for my tastes but
if you only want to work with 1 camera instead of multiples then i would consider it.
Also your cards _have_ to be fast and good enough quality it is your bread and butter. I wouldn't
compromise there.

I am far from being an expert & am constantly learning.
I was shooting with the Sony tape FX-1 two yrs ago before all this new affordable film look stuff came out.
I was 48yrs old back then and today I am glad I learn it because it has re-energized me.

Syl
JBrooks
Casablanca Unit: Casablanca 4 Studio Pro Ultra, Panasonic AG-DVX200 HD/4K Camera, GoPro Hero 2 and Hero 4 Black, Sony and Azden UHF Wireless Mics, Manfrotto 509 HD Pro Tripods, LitePanel Pro Camera Light, iKan 508B LED Portable Light kits.

Post by JBrooks »

Hi Stone,

If you have the budget, I would recommend the Sony PMW-EX1R. It goes for around $6,500.00. It can shoot in full 1920 X 1080 30p/60i as well as HDV 1440 X 1080i. I shoot everything with it & I love it. It has large 1/2 in CMOS imagers that work well in low light & has a shallow depth of field when shooting mid to telephoto. It also works extremely well with Bogart.
Canon makes good cams too. Just my thoughts.

Joel Brooks
http://www.mitvideoproductions.com
Joel Brooks
MIT Video Productions
Macrosystem Americas Dealer
www.mitvideoproductions.com
jbrooks@mitvideoproductions.com
817-771-8347
stonepatterson

Post by stonepatterson »

Okay SYLRENAUD, checked out the Canon EOS C300 Cinema EOS, (there is a nice 20 mins. clip from B & H 'item demo'). http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/8 ... order.html
Has the workings of a video camera with all the pluses of a DSLR!!!! I am able to understand how the cam works!!!!!!! But, @ $15,999.00 and that doesn't include lenses (that run the gamut in price) and all the little extras needed... I don't have money or rich relatives. Camera is not even out there yet... but she is just what I need!!!!!!!!!!!!! Great 'dream' suggestion.

On the EX1 JBrooks... I love Sony cameras, all I have. But rather than the EX-1 -- I am more tuned into the bigger brother, the EX3... it's just that extra 3 grand... (LOL, I still watch that Vortex Mastering the Sony PMW-EX3 I bought here from Mr. BobFoster). My batteries and current equipment will also work with the EX3... all my current stuff is DVcam.

Thank you to all for the suggestions.

Anyone else know of a great inkjet printable BluRay disc perfect for the S6000 and Arabesk 4.20 ? Other wise -- guess I'll go with SYLRENAUD suggestion on Amazon. Thanks to all. I still have two and a half months to make a camera choice (and find the money).... until then, I am all ears!
LouBruno
Casablanca Unit: STUDIO ULTRA ,SAPHIR, MS TRAVEL ..with ALL SOFTWARE, Cassie Travel Laptop PRO- Bogart Windows, MSI APACHE laptop with BOGART and all Current BOGART & Arabesk. Saphir 2.
GLIDECAM HD-2000, I-Pad latest, Sony HX-99..4K still camera

SONY FDR-53 4K,
, SONY FDR AX-700 HDR 4K video camera, GoPro HD2&3, SONY HDR-CX150 small HD pocket camera, SONY AX-53. Panasonic HC-20

Two Samsung BD D5700 Blu-ray players. OPPO 4K player.
JVC DT-V20L1 HDV monitor, All Music2Hues and Digital Hotcakes, Nikon D-80 still camera, NIKON D7100 HDSLR 18-300mm lens, D500 Nikon, 10 professional bicycles, two camels and a donkey :-) ........ Gocycle@gmail.com

Post by LouBruno »

The Canon C300 should be released at the end of March. This will be perhaps, one of the best cinematic cameras to date-EF lens. A very expensive camera but truly hi-tech.

The XF-300, touted as a high end cameras was always plagued with interline twitter. It was too sharp and the horizontal and vertical lines would shake and shimmer. When a downconvert was made using the 50mps setting and a DVD was made, the results were HORRIBLE. This just goes to show you that because a camera is expensive and well advertised, it does not mean it is a satisfactory tool. Syl and I had many e-mail conversations over this issue resulting in selling the Canon XF-300.

Now, if you want decent BOKEH with a camcorder, the Canon XF-100, A10 and HF sG10 offer almost an artificial shallow depth of field-probably electronically. I am a fan of Canon camcorders but my new Panasonic AG AC-130 produces a real looking shallow DOF by virtue of the wide 22X lens. No, it is not like a HDSLR but probably produces the best shallow DOF in the price range of $3500 dollars.
craigpeer
Casablanca Unit: Portable TV Studio, Bogart 13,
Canon HV30 cameras

Post by craigpeer »

Try B & H Photo for printable Blu Ray disks

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?at ... 4294949400
Portable TV Studio, Bogart 13