Arabesk not reading discs correctly

Disc authoring in your Casablanca
Christopher6206
Casablanca Unit: Travel 2 running Win Bogart 12. Karat, running Bogart 10.6, S-4000pro running Bogart 5.5c, Render Booster

Arabesk not reading discs correctly

Post by Christopher6206 »

Hello! I'm using Arabesk 4.1g on my Solitaire SE 9. I have several discs I need to make a copy of that were created by Ararbesk. My intention is to load the DVD into Arabesk, make a correction on the menu and then re burn. I put it in and click "Read DVD". After the DVD loads I cannot play them in the preview window. If I burn a disc, Arabesk can't play it and neither will any DVD player I have that normally will play Arabesk discs. The menu looks perfect in the "Edit Menu". I don't have to change anything. I tried uninstalling Arabesk and re installing with the same result.

So I put it in my S-4000 Pro with Arabesk 4.6. I can't preview the titles at all because there is no play or preview button where there used to be. Just a grayed out "Create" Button. And the menu didn't transfer at all. I've got what looks like the generic DVD menu that comes with the machine only the title is what it was for my last project. Gray Background, Big blocky font, black windows for the 4 titles. If I have to re create the menu on the S-4000 pro that is time consuming and doesn't seem to be what "Read DVD" is suppose to do.

Lastly, if I click on "Films Chapter Menus" in Arabesk 4.6, the image quality is High and the audio is uncompressed. The disc I loaded into it was burned with Normal image quality and compressed audio. So what gives there?

Am I missing something? Thanks for any and all help.
Chris Crawford
Travel 2, running Bogart 12, All software
Karat with Bogart 10.3 , Arabesk 7
S-4000 Pro with Bogart 5.5c, Render Booster, most software
Panasonic AG-AC 160, Sony NEX-VG900, Sony NXCAM - NX30U
Cannon XF-705
BobFoster
Casablanca Unit: Foster, Georgia video Productions, Inc
Bishop, GA Karat X2, Bogart 5.6
Most all software, 2X Sony HVR-NX3 Sony HVR-A1U, Sony PD-170/150, Sony HVR Z5U, 3 - Canopus ADVC500 converter, 2 x HXR-NX3 Sony Cameras

Re: Arabesk not reading discs correctly

Post by BobFoster »

My understanding of Read DVD, is that it doesn't permit ANY changes. You read the DVD and then make additional copies with no peeking or changes. If you want changes, Kesbara would be the way to go. Load the video back into a project and then proceed on to burning a new DVD with what ever changes you wish to make. Others may have more up to date info.
Christopher6206
Casablanca Unit: Travel 2 running Win Bogart 12. Karat, running Bogart 10.6, S-4000pro running Bogart 5.5c, Render Booster

Wheather or not it allows changes I'm not 100%. I was able to change what I needed but since I can't create a playable disc the point is moot. Maybe I'm wrong but wouldn't kserba import the DVD and then when I create a new DVD it would compress it all over again, leaving me with a inferior copy?

Update to my previous post. I put a disc in the Solitaire that had only one title and pressed read DVD. The previous disc had 4 titles. This one imported fine, menu and all and I could preview the DVD. SO the only difference is that one had 4 titles (doesn't work) and the other 1 title (did work)

The disc with 4 titles I imported into Arabesk 4.6 on my S-4000 pro burned a playable DVD, (even though I could not preview the titles) but even if I create the menu to look like the disc I put in I cannot re create the thumbnails I used for the original disc since they are all on the other machine. Unless I REALLY want to spend a lot of time. Maybe I can save the menu in an archive transfer to USB and then upload it? Will try that.
Chris Crawford
Cannon XF-705
Christopher6206

Update. I tried reloading the disc with 4 titles back into the solitaire with Arabesk 4.1g. Before looking at the menu, I tried previewing all the films and all 4 films played fine. I then when into edit menu where I had to change the border color for the thumbnail of all the films. I had one blue and 3 white. Settings were on for all border attributes to be the same so just selecting the blue bordered films attributes and clicking ok (without changing the border color) changed all borders to blue. I then saved the menu into the Archived templates. When I went back out to Arabesk and tried to preview the films again none of them would play. "That's just ridiculus that changing a border color would render the films unplayable", I thought. Frustrated I shut down the machine and re started. I opened up Arabesk and tried to preview the films again. They played fine. I opened up "edit Menu" and all borders were blue. I went back out to preview the films and they still played. So I burned a disc. Took it out and it wouldn't play in my DVD player. I tried it in another DVD player, nothing. I tried putting it back into the Solitaire and clicked on DVD in the Arabesk menu. It played, but the menu was a grey screen with 1 small thumbnail size white outlined box on it. I then went to "all Films chapters" it played the grey screen too with the white box for the menu but did play the films. SO then I went back into "Edit Menu" and there was my original menu with the 4 blue boxes. I went into Archives and loaded the exact same menu that I had previously saved. I went back out to the preview films and the All film, Chapters box and the menu was there this time (instead of the grey screen with white box). All films played in the preview pane. I burned another disc. And this time it worked perfectly.

This is obviously a software issue. There should not be nearly this many hoops to jump through just to change the colors of a border on a DVD menu on a system designed to be easy to use. I've been sweating this all day just to make a copy of a DVD with different border colors. Incidently this happened because of the way the edit menu is designed. Even though I had the settings set to "All Button Attributes to all" when I created the orinal menu, when I created a new thumbnail that has a white border by default ( I beleive) I failed to go back to the first box which was blue and select the color again to change the color of the other box. If that makes sense. Thanks for reading, I feel better already.
Chris Crawford
Cannon XF-705