converting a high def project to standard

Disc authoring in your Casablanca
mb3514
Casablanca Unit: S-6000

converting a high def project to standard

Post by mb3514 »

I have an S6000
I have edited a project in HD
I want to convert it to standard def and burn it to a standard def disc.
How do I do this.
HELP!
IanPearson
Casablanca Unit: Studio Pro OS B4W V9
S6000 OS Bogart SE V9
Solitaire OS V9.1

Programs:- Most of the standard operating programs.

Re: converting a high def project to standard

Post by IanPearson »

You have at least two options, as follows

1. Leave the project in HD, go into Arabesk, click the “Assistant” button and a box will open asking if you want to create a disc in “Video DVD” or “Blu-ray”. Click the “Video DVD” option and then follow the “Assistant” process. The system will convert the HDV to SD, but your project will remain in HD, back in the editing function.

2. Or you can first make a scene of your entire story board, which will be placed in your scene bin. Then open a blank project, and in “Project settings” click the “Format” and change the resolution to SD. Go into the edit screen, click the clipboard button (far right on the next to bottom line of buttons), click “Add scene from a different project” and add the scene you just made of the storyboard and import that scene.

The system will convert that scene to SD. When complete, add it to the story board and go through the Arabesk process to burn your DVD.

Depending how long your storyboard is, the conversion from HD to SD can take quite a time, either in the Arabesk , option1 or the clipboard import option 2.

Ian
Ian Pearson S6000 Bogart SE7 - Solitaire OS V9.1 - Avio DV Pro OS V9.1
Programs:- Most programs, with the notable exception of CB Paint and Quadcam
Kingston upon Hull. England
mb3514
Casablanca Unit: S-6000

Post by mb3514 »

Thank You.

mb
Christopher6206
Casablanca Unit: Travel 2 running Win Bogart 12. Karat, running Bogart 10.6, S-4000pro running Bogart 5.5c, Render Booster

Post by Christopher6206 »

How did your down converted project look on DVD after you were finished? I ask because I did that once and was not pleased with the results. The DVD looked quite pixelated. I've heard Render Booster helps with that problem but have yet to pony up the $500 to try it out. I recently needed to do the same thing but it was for a sporting event so editing wise there wasn't much to it. I decided to just reimport the footage into an SD project using the camera to down convert the footage as it when into the Cassie. Much quicker than asking the Cassie to down convert the original HD material. The results were acceptable.
Chris Crawford
Travel 2, running Bogart 12, All software
Karat with Bogart 10.3 , Arabesk 7
S-4000 Pro with Bogart 5.5c, Render Booster, most software
Panasonic AG-AC 160, Sony NEX-VG900, Sony NXCAM - NX30U
Cannon XF-705
IanPearson
Casablanca Unit: Studio Pro OS B4W V9
S6000 OS Bogart SE V9
Solitaire OS V9.1

Programs:- Most of the standard operating programs.

Post by IanPearson »

Chris
I do this most of the time, that is, shoot and edit in HD and then burn a normal DVD. The results are great. It is rare that I am specifically asked to issue a BD version. I also do not have the render booster.

However, being in PAL land there is a difference in quality between BD and DVD, but it is not that pronounced. Hence the rush to go from DVD to BD, other than in commercial films, has been slow.

All of our television channels are still broadcast in SD, with most of the major programs also broadcasting in HD (e.g. the BBC main channels). Again there is a difference, but not the major step you had over there. I don’t normally find the need to switch to an HD channel, unless it is say a wildlife program or certain sporting events. A lot of people don’t see any difference unless they compare the two versions side by side.

It will be interesting to see if others in the NTSC world have had similar experiences to yourself.

Ian
Ian Pearson S6000 Bogart SE7 - Solitaire OS V9.1 - Avio DV Pro OS V9.1
Programs:- Most programs, with the notable exception of CB Paint and Quadcam
Kingston upon Hull. England
Christopher6206
Casablanca Unit: Travel 2 running Win Bogart 12. Karat, running Bogart 10.6, S-4000pro running Bogart 5.5c, Render Booster

Post by Christopher6206 »

Ian, that's interesting. To me the difference between DVD and Blu Ray here in NTSC land is dramatic. But you're right in some sense. Laymens don't notice it until you point it out or in this case side by side (which is hard to do). I like to think of how good video is by suggesting that when people watch any video, they do not notice what they don't see (or hear). They don't know what has been left out, or what has not been done to keep the quality as high as possible. They only know what they are looking at and judge it at face value. As a video professional, I tend to notice what has been left out. High standards baby, that's the way to go. What I do professionally I want the professionals to be impressed with, not just the regular people.
Chris Crawford
Travel 2, running Bogart 12, All software
Karat with Bogart 10.3 , Arabesk 7
S-4000 Pro with Bogart 5.5c, Render Booster, most software
Panasonic AG-AC 160, Sony NEX-VG900, Sony NXCAM - NX30U
Cannon XF-705