Cant Burn an M Disc

Disc authoring in your Casablanca
Rte80west
Casablanca Unit: S4000 PRO

Cant Burn an M Disc

Post by Rte80west »

OK, using a Karat with two Blu Ray burners. On these burners is the M Disc logo - obviously an indication it should burn M discs right? M Discs are BD-R format. ~ 198 minute storyboard, burns fine to a regular Memorex Blu Ray BD-R dvd. I put in the Blu ray M disc dvd and it indicates disc cant burn, likely isnt blank. I tried several new discs so I dont think thats it. This DOES burn M Discs correct? THe LG burners indicate it does. Is a firmware update needed or drivers? Frustrated... any advice very much appreciated
BobFoster
Casablanca Unit: Foster, Georgia video Productions, Inc
Bishop, GA Karat X2, Bogart 5.6
Most all software, 2X Sony HVR-NX3 Sony HVR-A1U, Sony PD-170/150, Sony HVR Z5U, 3 - Canopus ADVC500 converter, 2 x HXR-NX3 Sony Cameras

Re: Cant Burn an M Disc

Post by BobFoster »

Just a guess on my part. I would presume that the software would play a very big factor in determining what media and hardware could be used. If the software does not recognize either as being a compatible entity, it would not proceed with an attempt to record the files. I looked at the "M" web site and they claim wide but not total compatibility. It's possible that Arabesk software is not on their approved list. I use a commercial hospital grade Ultra Sound DVD recorder as a back-up when recording directly to my Karat on location. Even though a std dvd player will play back the DVDs recorded by it, the JVC will not play back Arabesk or any other standard DVDs. Go figure?
MichaelD
Casablanca Unit: Saphir B4W v9, S4000 Pro Bogart v9, Arabesk v7, Render Booster, Canon HF100, Prestige SE v9.1.

Post by MichaelD »

Are you using Arabesk v5 ?

What does "Media Info" give you when you click that in Arabesk (with an M disc in) ?
garymcnally
Casablanca Unit: Casablanca 4 Studio Pro, Studio, Touch, Travel 2, Sapphire, Ultra, TV Studio 2, Portable TV Studio, and Titanium TV Studio. Bogart 10 Windows Desktops - Laptop -Tablet - Karat - S-6000 - S4100- Dell XPS 8930 with Intel i7-9700 CPU, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 GPU, and 16Mb RAM. JVC GY-HD100U - JVC BR-HD50U - CANON HV20 - SONY AX33 4K

Post by garymcnally »

Hi John,

According to Germany, M Discs was an LG feature not tested or supported by our software.
Theoretically, they think it should work if the firmware was up to date.
As newer more capable discs come on the market from the disc makers, the player mfg’s must update the firmware of their burners to recognize and support the new discs.
You are on version 1.0 firmware, whereas LG has made 3 updates to v1.03.

It is very difficult to remove those burners and plug them into a PC for a firmware update.
It could take me 3 to 4 hours and I’ve done it before.
So I would just use the many other compatible Blu-ray discs.

Germany says they will order one of those burners and test it; so it may be better to wait,
before doing the firmware update for nothing if that is what you want to do.
THANKS!
Gary McNally
gary@macrosystem.us