MM says file too big when it isn't

The Ins and Outs of it.
Christopher6206
Casablanca Unit: Travel 2 running Win Bogart 12. Karat, running Bogart 10.6, S-4000pro running Bogart 5.5c, Render Booster

MM says file too big when it isn't

Post by Christopher6206 »

This has happened several times and I don't get it. I go into Media Manager to make a .mp4. It's a long program/video, 1 hr and 40 min. Making a .mp4 from the scene bin, using export scene, just doesn't work when trying to export an .mp4 that is this long. So I'm forced to use MM. I export the storyboard to the archives, and go into MM. I know with the settings I have it will make a file that is between 6 and 9 GB. This is Direct.mp4 in the PC menu. I put in a blank 32 GB USB stick. MM reads it, loads it, and then tells me it will use 156% of the space on the USB drive. Looking at the info on the archived file it says it is 48GB. This is the size of the file before it is compressed. And 48GB would give a 156% size for a 32 GB USB stick. I get that. But after compression it will be much smaller. MM doesn't seem to know this. It doesn't want to put the file on the USB stick without doing some other form of data compression. Long story short, I plugged in a large hard drive instead. And made the file. It is 6GB. So why is MM telling me that this file won't fit on a 32 GB USB stick?
Chris Crawford
Travel 2, running Bogart 12, All software
Karat with Bogart 10.3 , Arabesk 7
S-4000 Pro with Bogart 5.5c, Render Booster, most software
Panasonic AG-AC 160, Sony NEX-VG900, Sony NXCAM - NX30U
Cannon XF-705
MichaelD
Casablanca Unit: Saphir B4W v9, S4000 Pro Bogart v9, Arabesk v7, Render Booster, Canon HF100, Prestige SE v9.1.

Re: MM says file too big when it isn't

Post by MichaelD »

I haven't the answer but this is now my default way to export (large) files.

It saves time in the long run as I never know when 'big' is too big.

So, I send it out (from Bogart) to an external USB HDD and then drag the resultant file onto the desired stick - sorted.

I don't know why this is the case so if anyone else can chip in then please do !